Thread: Transmission Trouble

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li/ 07 335i

Transmission Trouble

My 2002 745Li is experiencing some harsh downshifting. I have taken it to the dealer and asked him to check the programming. The service department said they Reset the adaptation values for Trans/Engine, test drove and still experience some harshness in the downshift they say the only other thing to do is replace the transmission at a cost of $7400, looking for some advise on further troubleshooting. If the transmission does need to be replace, any help on cost reduction ideas would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745Li
    Had the same problem, changed tranny fluid and filter and reset adaptations and whalah. Don't believe that "tranny fluid is lifetime fluid" crappola, there's no such animal

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    i would check the webo joint b/t tranny and d/s. the earlier cars had issues with them for a harsh downshift. they wear out. I have changed a bunch an dit took care of the downshift. There is actuatly a tsb on it.

but if the dealer wont check for software update than find another. that is easy money to them.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745Li/ 07 335i
    Thanks for the info, i am taking the car to a transmission shop that is experienced in foreign car xsmn, will see what he says. I like the thought of trying the fluid and filter change then reprogram.

My Cars
    06 330I, 11 GTI, 04 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    i would check the webo joint b/t tranny and d/s. the earlier cars had issues with them for a harsh downshift. they wear out. I have changed a bunch an dit took care of the downshift. There is actuatly a tsb on it.

but if the dealer wont check for software update than find another. that is easy money to them.
    02's have a solid guibo...hence they have no replacement issues. For the 02 the only things you can do is try changing the fluid and filter, clear adaptations and thats really it. There is no updated programming and theres no retrofits...

My Cars
    2003 745Li
    i have an 03 745Li and my car will downshift to 3rd gear and won't change out after riding through the city for about a hour can some one please explain to me what the problem might be
    rd