Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power steering fluid leaking heavily

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    Every time I read a control arm thread, I regret not buying 2 or 3 of the ZHP Susp refresh kits when they were 499.00

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    Every time I read a control arm thread, I regret not buying 2 or 3 of the ZHP Susp refresh kits when they were 499.00

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfiasco
    +1

I was able to get my hands on one though.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Is it the time to do a power steering flush? Also what happens if i do not? Always wondered...

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWoW View Post
    Is it the time to do a power steering flush? Also what happens if i do not? Always wondered...
    Is this rhetorical?

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
    Is this rhetorical?
    Yeah i know i think i should That shit is turning into mud! First time i ve checked and.... ohh gosh!

My Cars
    BMW 323i 2000
    Is it suggested to change the brackets with bushings or just the bushes... what it takes to remove and press the bushes in bracket?

only meyle hd is offered for bushes alone , oem is selling assembled brackets with bushes.

Any suggestions on going for assembly or bushes?

Thanks

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Yeah, so I'm gonna need you to go ahead and... change that fluid ASAP. It should be a deep clear red color, it definitely shouldn't look like chocolate milk

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Yeah? That looks pretty nasty. I would at least do turkey battery flush on it.

Use some nice clean Mobile I ATF.

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    Fluid extractor FTMFW!!

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77
    Yeah? That looks pretty nasty. I would at least do turkey battery flush on it.

Use some nice clean Mobile I ATF.

What is a turkey battery flush? I have ordered a reservoir too cuz it seems like it's leaking from top badly!

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    '00 328Ci, '18 330xi
    Turkey baster. Suck it out. Get it?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWoW

What is a turkey battery flush? I have ordered a reservoir too cuz it seems like it's leaking from top badly!

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    My bust on the spelling. Baster. Correct. Suck it put and refill it 3 times, with 1 qt of M1 ATF. Drive it in between fills? Fluid will be good to go on 3rd fill.

My Cars
    Yes
    Take it from me - flushing the battery on a turkey is not fun. The turkey has to be sedated.

I tried the turkey baster method of removing the old fluid once, and the fluid was so thin that it dribbled out of the tip. I've switched to a $5 siphon pump. It drains the contents of the reservoir directly into my used oil jug. The ATF eventually causes the pump bulb to harden and become useless, at which point I toss it in the trash and buy a new one at the local Wal-Mart.

The leakage from the top of your reservoir is probably from the $3 O-ring attached to the cap, but the reservoir does contain a non-replaceable filter and should be replaced periodically. Be sure to use quality stainless hose clamps.
    Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 12-31-2011 at 09:59 AM.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    Take it from me - flushing the battery on a turkey is not fun. The turkey has to be sedated.

I tried the turkey baster method of removing the old fluid once, and the fluid was so thin that it dribbled out of the tip. I've switched to a $5 siphon pump. It drains the contents of the reservoir directly into my used oil jug. The ATF eventually causes the pump bulb to harden and become useless, at which point I toss it in the trash and buy a new one at the local Wal-Mart.

The leakage from the top of your reservoir is probably from the $3 O-ring attached to the cap, but the reservoir does contain a non-replaceable filter and should be replaced periodically. Be sure to use quality stainless hose clamps.
    ohh so that oil transfer pump gets useless after one use. i better off get a cheap one too. I dont even see an o-ring on the cap anymore
    Thanks Burdell and thanks Dane!

My Cars
    Yes
    ohh so that oil transfer pump gets useless after one use.
    The siphon pump lasts a few months after it's first used with ATF, so you could get a few uses out of it before the bulb hardens and you have to get a new one.

I dont even see an o-ring on the cap anymore
    It's hard to see, but it's there. I missed it the first time I looked for it.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    The siphon pump lasts a few months after it's first used with ATF, so you could get a few uses out of it before the bulb hardens and you have to get a new one.

It's hard to see, but it's there. I missed it the first time I looked for it.

ohh ok. First thing tomorrow! My first maintenance DIY on e46. I got pulleys as well to change, gonna probably do them at the same time! oooo lets get dirty! Btw the o-ring is there, i checked again now

My Cars
    BMW 323i 2000
    Hi all,
    Where do you get your wheel alignment done?

No body does here for bmw, checked at sears, tireplus and some other local shops everyone said no to bmw...

Firestone said they will do but couldn't finish it.. they said they have issues with the rear wheels alignment blah blah blah... and said that the master technician will take a look at it on monday, this will third trip to them tomorrow....

Hope they does everything as per bmw specs...

please recommend if I need to go to the dealer for this or the firestone guys are sufficient????

Thanks
    Pawan

My Cars
    89 e30 3251
    Hi all- I have an 89 325i that has a fast hydrolic leak- happened out of nowhere yesterday- huge puddle when turning wheels on passenger side floor-filled the reservoir and the noise stopped when turning the wheel but it leaked out fast when doing that- - been suggested by airplane mechanic friend that its a hose or seal- and not to get taken for a R&P job or a pump job-looking for good garage mechanic in my area- Santa Monica/Venice- CA- if anyone knows anyone- thank you

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    OP: you're getting good info here, and some of the shops you're going to are messing with you.

If you changed bushings in the front end, there is no need to do anything to the alignment at the back, unless for some other reason the back tires are showing unacceptable wear.

It may not be relevant to an E46 but when I changed fluid on my E9, I disconnected the pump from the bracket, disconnected the hose, and almost all the fluid drained out. I cleared the pump by spinning the pulley by hand. Reassemble, refill, alles gut!

DannieC, jack up the front end, securely support it, fill the reservoir and get under for a look. Have a trusted friend start the car and turn the steering wheel. Usually the problem will show itself.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12