RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Question: DIY Oil Change

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe

Question Question: DIY Oil Change

Hi.

I'd like to change oil myself on my E46 M3. I've never done it myself, but a friend is giving me a hand. Now, he suggests that I buy a tool that sucks up the oil from inside the hood so I won't have to go underneath the car. Where can I get this tool? (He got his in California.) Do auto parts shops carry it, or should I order one from one of the BMW shops (e.g. bavauto, BMP, etc)?

Thanks,
    Dai

My Cars
    95 m3
    I believe you are referring the top side oil changer:
    http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalo...icants_2.shtml
    scroll down a little bit.

Ive heard some good things about it, althouhg I personally have never tried it. It would make the change a whole lot easier it seems

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by cheddafob
    I believe you are referring the top side oil changer:
    http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalo...icants_2.shtml
    scroll down a little bit.
    That must be it! Thank you very much for the information. I will order it tomorrow.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    They are good for getting it done quick and easy, but draining from the oil pan is still best. All the crap that you oil picks up ends up in the bottom of the oil pan. This all gets drained out on a normal oil change. With the top side thing, it doesn't get this crap out. The new oil will just have to deal with this stuff and eventually it will/could build up. I'd stick to the traditional method.

Ted

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by Theodore
    They are good for getting it done quick and easy, but draining from the oil pan is still best. All the crap that you oil picks up ends up in the bottom of the oil pan. This all gets drained out on a normal oil change. With the top side thing, it doesn't get this crap out. The new oil will just have to deal with this stuff and eventually it will/could build up. I'd stick to the traditional method.
    Hmmm... that makes sense. The only problem is, I don't have space for a good lift. How do you get underneath the car? Just using the standard jack?

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Unless your car is slammed you should be able to squeeze under there enough to reach across with a wrench over to the drain bolt.
    Lee

My Cars
    Yes
    You could drive the car up on ramps if you can't reach under the car and don't want to use a floor jack.

Don't use the factory jack for anything except emergency tire changes.

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Originally posted by daihard
    Hmmm... that makes sense. The only problem is, I don't have space for a good lift. How do you get underneath the car? Just using the standard jack?
    To get a jack under my car I usually have to drive it up on 2x4's. That gives me enough clearance to get under there and get the job done. Always use jackstands though!

Ted

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by Theodore
    To get a jack under my car I usually have to drive it up on 2x4's. That gives me enough clearance to get under there and get the job done. Always use jackstands though!
    Thanks guys... I'll see what kind of ramps (2x4's?) I can get. If all possible, I'd like to get all the old oil drained. Doing it from under the car is the only sure way, right?

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    If you drive the front up on ramps though, doesn't some of the oil drain into the back of the engine (and therefore won't come out)?
    Lee

My Cars
    1995 M3
    TheToolwarehouse.net is a place to buy the MityVac.
    8l capacity and you can dispense as well as evacuate.

Actually, they have different sizes at different price points.
    I use mine when I'm in a hurry to do a change.
    Every few changes I drain from pan in the conventional manner.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe
    Originally posted by Balthazarr
    Actually, they have different sizes at different price points.
    I use mine when I'm in a hurry to do a change.
    Every few changes I drain from pan in the conventional manner.
    That sounds like a good idea! I plan to do my own oil change twice between the scheduled maintenance interval (15,000 miles for E46), so I guess I can use the top oil changer when I do it myself and then let the dealer take care of draining it from underneath when it's a warranty service.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    getting underneath the car for an oil change will at most take you about 30 min. I take a jack, place it under the front driver's side jack point and lift it high enough that both front and rear driver's side wheels come off the floor. Place a couple jack stands underneath and go to work, this way also angles the car such that the oil will not build up on the backside of the oil pan, most drains to the side and out.
    I would suggest you stick to the intended method of oil removal. That top side oil extractor looks convenient, i have to admit. But I will continue to do mine the old fashioned way for at least peace of mind.
    98 Dakar M3 NCC BMW CCA Member

My Cars
    '03 AW Dinan M5
    how about driving the car parallel up on a curb so either both driver wheels (or passenger wheels) are on the curb ? I never tried it, but sounds like it would work.

The "sifting from the top" method sounds like a lot more trouble than a jack and jackstands.

Sears usually has great deals on jacks.

'03 ///M5

My Cars
    94 318is
    Don't know about other models but for the 318, you can reach the drain plug w/ 2-8" and 1-4" extensions. Wheels are turned full left to provide access behind RF wheel. I slide a flat pan under the drain, loosen and carefully back the plug from the pan. So far I've only dropped the plug in the pan once. For installation, I use a bit of paper towel and jam the plug in my socket to install w/o fear of dropping or misaligning. I start by hand and tighten securely.

I love the vertical replaceable cartridge filter w/ zero loss of oil onto the engine.

Regards
    See you down the ROW

My Cars
    '06 X3.0i
    are the stock drain plugs magnetic?
    if not, where can we buy?
    otherwise maybe I'll drill a divot and epoxy in a super magnet or something.

also, I used to see "remote controlled" cable operated drain plugs for other cars. that would be a time saver too provided you can slide a pan underneath.
    The VP of Clean
    Let's go a a##hat huntin'