Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 745 rebuild log

My Cars
    85 745
    Thanks Hitman. I think I need to take a look at the external temp sensor. Heres whats happening incase anyone can point out something i'm missing. If I leave the blower speed somewhere in the middle range the blower works when i use the A/C buttons all the time. If I select one of the heating modes or the recir button then the blower only works for a few minutes and shuts off unless I turn the blower to max then it works all the time...

My interior is almost completely assembled. I still have no pictures since I haven't bought a new charger for my camra. I really need to get to frys for a radio install kit and a charger. Hopefully tomorrow.

On another note i'm going to get a new high pressure pump with a GM fuel pressure reg for $160. Its rated for a steady 58psi which should be plenty for me so I don't have to buy new injectors ad a new pump. I'm now running 13psi and my injectors are at 100% duty cycle from 3500rpm to redline. I need more fuel! It isn't running lean at all but I can't keep it like this so I keep the rpms down. I will not lower the boost in case I need it :-)

Also next weekend all the body work is starting. Some of the things I want to do which will be a ton of work but I think will update the look of the car are removing and filling the upper and lower trim strips in the middle of the doors and below the doors. I'd also like to remove the upper window strips including the one on the A pillar all the way back to the car. I know that will be a ton of work but I don't like that black cover thing on the A pillar.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 02-21-2012 at 01:30 AM.

My Cars
    85 745
    Since my last update I've done only a small amount of work. A few weeks ago I left my car outside of the shop and someone decided to smash my passenger front window and steal my radio. Luckily I didn't have my radio secured in the dash since i've been doing random stuff to the inside of the car and never took care of that. I had a extra window in my garage and finally got around to installing it and having the car tinted. It looks much better with tint on it as seen in this picture of the car.

Stuff I've done:

replaced rear control arm bushings
    subframe bushings
    replaced passenger front window and regulator
    tinted car
    Replaced intake fuel pump with 06 ford cobra pump - it was an extra from the speed shop next door, nothing beats free upgrades :-)

My list of stuff continues to grow:

Install front control arms
    fix my leaking p/s pump - the very last piece of the system I haven't rebuilt
    replace all the solenoids I ordered
    rebuild engine with arp headstuds - I'd like to raise the compression to 9:1 or something close to that.
    Higher stall torque converter - not sure what to raise it to but i'm thinking around 2300 or so
    Install a/c system before summer
    fix cluster - coolant gauge doesn't work
    find new seats for driver and passenger and have them recovered
    wire in cam sync and 6 individual coils - i'd like to run full sequential just for kicks
    blow off valve
    paint job
    etc..

The fuel pump only took about an hour to install and i'm still using the factory high pressure pump even though it isn't really needed but what the hell.

The rear bushings on the other hand were totally destroyed and pretty much fell apart. To remove the subframe bushings I welded a nut to the outside of the subframe and used a pressing cup and press to push them through. It was easy with a welder and press. The trailing arm bushings on the other hand were a complete piece of shit and took almost 4 hours to do all 4 bushings as they were the originals i'm sure. I used a small amount of wheel bearing grease to press the new ones in just in case I plan on changing them out again for some crazy reason. The rear end now feels really good and has really improved the ride quality. I love this car.

I've also installed a manual boost controller and the car is holding 13psi steady and feels really good. My Manual boost controller is an Agency-Power unit and my driving log has a very stable boost level with this and the new 38mm tial wastegate. Two mods I would really suggest for cars that are further along than mine.

I think I'll install the new pods in the next month with the new a/c system. Does anyone recommend any compressors that maybe aren't a direct fit but are really robust and would work in these cars? Any other components that I should look for? I'm going to get a late model evap and a parallel flow condenser.
    We will be using r-12 with double end capped oil and an aftermarket electric puller fan on top of the stock aux fan.

More updates will follow soon hopefully.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 02-21-2018 at 03:16 AM.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Did you use the adapter from moosehead for your wastegate?
    1984 BMW 745i I always know when im boosting because i can feel the seat springs in my back

My Cars
    85 745
    No we made our own. Its the same design or close to it. we used a plasma and drill press to make the flanges and a 90 pipe. it works like a charm. I'll try and get some pictures of it.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DevInAz View Post
    Since my last update I've done only a small amount of work. A few weeks ago I left my car outside of the shop and someone decided to smash my passenger front window and steal my radio. Luckily I didn't have my radio secured in the dash since i've been doing random stuff to the inside of the car and never took care of that. I had a extra window in my garage and finally got around to installing it and having the car tinted. It looks much better with tint on it as seen in this picture of the car.

Stuff I've done:

replaced rear control arm bushings
    subframe bushings
    replaced passenger front window and regulator
    tinted car
    Replaced intake fuel pump with 06 ford cobra pump - it was an extra from the speed shop next door, nothing beats free upgrades :-)

My list of stuff continues to grow:

Install front control arms
    fix my leaking p/s pump - the very last piece of the system I haven't rebuilt
    replace all the solenoids I ordered
    rebuild engine with arp headstuds - I'd like to raise the compression to 9:1 or something close to that.
    Higher stall torque converter - not sure what to raise it to but i'm thinking around 2300 or so
    Install a/c system before summer
    fix cluster - coolant gauge doesn't work
    find new seats for driver and passenger and have them recovered
    wire in cam sync and 6 individual coils - i'd like to run full sequential just for kicks
    blow off valve
    paint job
    etc..

The fuel pump only took about an hour to install and i'm still using the factory high pressure pump even though it isn't really needed but what the hell.

The rear bushings on the other hand were totally destroyed and pretty much fell apart. To remove the subframe bushings I welded a nut to the outside of the subframe and used a pressing cup and press to push them through. It was easy with a welder and press. The trailing arm bushings on the other hand were a complete piece of shit and took almost 4 hours to do all 4 bushings as they were the originals i'm sure. I used a small amount of wheel bearing grease to press the new ones in just in case I plan on changing them out again for some crazy reason. The rear end now feels really good and has really improved the ride quality. I love this car.

I've also installed a manual boost controller and the car is holding 13psi steady and feels really good. My Manual boost controller is an Agency-Power unit and my driving log has a very stable boost level with this and the new 38mm tial wastegate. Two mods I would really suggest for cars that are further along than mine.

I think I'll install the new pods in the next month with the new a/c system. Does anyone recommend any compressors that maybe aren't a direct fit but are really robust and would work in these cars? Any other components that I should look for? I'm going to get a late model evap and a parallel flow condenser.
    We will be using r-12 with double end capped oil and an aftermarket electric puller fan on top of the stock aux fan.

More updates will follow soon hopefully.

I hate thieves. I cannot believe someone wants to steal a radio in this day in age. Makes it hard to keep nice stuff in your car sadly.

Street response would be great with high 8-9:1 static compression. Do something about that 1970s designed camshaft if you have it apart. Plus full sequential and that thing will idle great.

TCD has 3000rpm converters in stock, do it. Mine is here awaiting install... if you have not driven a stalled turbo car you are in for a shock. 13psi is about it to me for that stock K27, maybe even past its limit. Can it make more boost? Sure, is it efficient? No.

A/C wise, search for my name if you can. You will find plies of info. Pick up the Sanden compressor mount and its compressor. Far better than what was put on these cars from the factory. Uses less power, more cooling output, etc. You will need to build some hoses... the Mastercool tool rules.

I would use a clutch fan, I am not a fan of primary fans on these cars as an electric only conversion as there really is just not much space in there for a big fan. The B35 fan fits with the two core radiator and the S38 fits with the three core 745i radiator. Use an E32/4 aux fan, they are TEN bladed versus the lame five bladed that came on the E23. Also use E23 low temp aux fan switches. 82°C low/91°C high. With the aux you need to relay the thing too so full power goes to it and takes the load off the fuse box. Make sure to use the smaller 130mm water pump pulley too along with the 'A' thermostat housing... the more coolant flow the better.

I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    85 745
    More updates.

I finished installing the recir pods that I ordered a few months ago. They work like a charm, but I wish I could say the same for my blower motor which is taking a fat dump.

Here are some up to date pictures of the car.

Does anyone know if this little guy has an actual home? I can't seem to find it.

My empty a/c brackets need to be filled with a new compressor.

I bought this guy and i'll install it soon.

My last leaking piece to my powersteering system. Everything else has been rebuilt or replaced. I'll order a seal kit from the dealer next week.

These are the transmission cooler lines I made. They work perfect and cost me about $15 to make.

I replaced all four front control arms today and the car drives much better. Loose ball joints are no fun over rail road tracks.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-05-2018 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    85 745
    More small updates.

here is the idle control valve i'm using. Since this hose and valve wasn't used on a 745 and I didn't want to use the fast idle valve that was stock this is what I choose from a 735. The problem I was having was under boost it was ballooning up the hose and at idle it would suck the hose flat and not let my idle control valve do its job. I cut the hose in half and lined it with pipe to prevent it from collaping on me. I've been running like this for a few days and my idle control is now spot on. I also pressure checked the intake tract just to see if anything anything is leaking but all seems to be ok. I wish I could TIG so I could build some really nice aluminum pipes for this kind of stuff.

I'm going to add in homelink which should be nice. It also has auto dimming.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-05-2018 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i
    Are you not running a wideband? where abouts did you purchase the control arms from. I just went under the rear end today and all my rubber is torn/dried up so i pretty much need to drop the rear end like you did. Only when i drop the rear end i think i'll be swapping the diff with a 3.73 lsd.
    1984 BMW 745i I always know when im boosting because i can feel the seat springs in my back

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Yay buying from Mouser! My woman is in warehouse quality there

Good to see your HVAC mostly complete. It is not that hard. Did you pick up your bracket yet for the Sanden swap?

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Products-C...2935779&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Hit Man X; 03-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    85 745
    No I didn't but thats the one I need? I'll buy it if I need it. Why is the belt serpentine style? the compressor is a v belt as far as my picture shows.

Next I need to locate a parallel flow condenser and a reciever dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981320i View Post
    Are you not running a wideband? where abouts did you purchase the control arms from. I just went under the rear end today and all my rubber is torn/dried up so i pretty much need to drop the rear end like you did. Only when i drop the rear end i think i'll be swapping the diff with a 3.73 lsd.
    yep its a full wideband integrated into my VEMS. I bought the control arms through my WorldPac account.

I have a few diffs that are limited slip that i'd like to rebuild and install but thats for another day.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-28-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I didn't know you could buy a rebuild kit for the power steering pump. What's the part number? Mine has a slow leak just like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981320i View Post

Why are you going so steep on the gear ratio?

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by SicStang03 View Post
    I didn't know you could buy a rebuild kit for the power steering pump. What's the part number? Mine has a slow leak just like yours.
    http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...2&rnd=03192010

Click on steering and then scroll to the parts breakout of the powersteering pump. All the orings in that diagram will need to be ordered. Mine is leaking from the back but i'll do all of them.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-29-2012 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 745i

*sorry threadjacking here*

I would like a little bit more in the rear. 3.73 should give it a great improvement over my 2.93 open. If its too much i can always swap for something a little less.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Car is an auto with a tall first gear... stock the car shifts 1-2 WOT around 60mph. 3.73:1 is conservative to me even with it.

Lowest geared big case diff I have found is a 3.91:1. If wanting a quick fix, run a med case 4.10:1 LSD from an E30. I saw somewhere a 745i run low 14s with 12psi, stock K27/stock IC, and a 4.10:1.

Yes, they are slow stock but the auto equipped N/A M30 cars are even slower due to the shamefully equipped tall gearing. 3.25:1 for the 10:1 3.4L (and late US 3.2L), 3.46:1 for the 8:1 3.4L (and ECE 3.2L), and 3.64:1 for 2.8L!

The stock 8:1 compression B34 E23 with a stick was rated at 8.9s 0-100km/h... the 745i only 7.9s 0-100km/h. AND the same 0-80km/h @ 5.8s.

FWIW the stock 1/4 mile on the 8:1 B34 was a killer 17.9 seconds with the auto and 16.6 with the manual. That is around 8.9 seconds 0-100km/hfor the manual and 10.4 for the auto.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    85 745
    Here is a copy of the email for all my window seals I just ordered if anyone wants any. I'll take pictures of the parts once I get them in.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Part numbers: 51-21-1-869-961, 51-22-1-886-507, 51-34-1-917-797, 51-34-1-917-798 coming from germany minimum 10 working days. Part number: 51-21-1-869-962 is no longer available. Let me know if that is a problem. Steve <---- from BMW

Hey Steve,

Can you stock order these parts for us, Please.

32411125519 SHAFT SEAL
    32411105154 O-RING
    32411105157 O-RING

51211886503 DOOR WEATHERSTRIP INNER
    51211869961 COVERING LEFT (from 06/79)
    51211869962 COVERING RIGHT (from 06/79)
    51221886507 DOOR WEATHERSTRIP INNER

2 of these please

51321921459 LEFT WINDOW GUIDE

51321921460 RIGHT WINDOW GUIDE
    51341921513 LEFT WINDOW GUIDE
    51341921514 RIGHT WINDOW GUIDE
    51341917797 SEALING FRAME LEFT (from 12/82)
    51341917798 SEALING FRAME RIGHT (from 12/82)

Hopefully all these seals are available. All these parts should be for a 85-87 735.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-05-2018 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Did u get confirmation that all are in stock? I bought every seal from dealer last year and most were in germany and i got all of them except left rear lower strip.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Did u get confirmation that all are in stock? I bought every seal from dealer last year and most were in germany and i got all of them except left rear lower strip.
    51-21-1-869-962 this is the only one they said in N/A. I hope the rest come in because my seals are shot to shit. Everytime I touch them big chucks fall off.

My Cars
    81 323i 86 535i 08 335i
    I think you need to do this work twice, to get it perfected. I will bring my car down so you can have a second try.
    80 B6, 81 & 82 323, 85 745i, 86 535i-all euro. 01 750iL Blk/Blk 08 335i

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by BIMMERBOYZ View Post
    I think you need to do this work twice, to get it perfected. I will bring my car down so you can have a second try.
    I like that idea a lot. bring me a pile of cash

My Cars
    85 745
    its been a month since i've really worked on my 7 but this is what i've done so far. I'm now using the small case diff on the left.

I changed out the original 2.93 diff for this 3.46. The pick up feels much better now, the car cruises down the freeway at about 2600rpm at 70mph. much better than the 2100 like before.

I didn't take any pictures but I replaced all my window seals, inner and outer trim seals expect for the outer RF door since its NLA. I'll have to look for a used one somewhere but i'm not expecting to find much.

I also installed coil on plugs firing wastespark. I'll get some pictures later.

After I complete these projects I'll be installing my 05 745 front and rear rotors and calipers. Once I get to this point i'll document everything with a little more detail incase anyone else wants to do it.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-05-2018 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Sounds good!
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I ordered all new seals even though mine are still good... just in case. I also have spare outer RF door

I'm sure they will all come in handy one day.

What bushings did you go with in the rear?

My Cars
    85 745
    I'll take your extra seal! Send me your PayPal info.

I have been ordering all oem stuff through the dealer. No one is stocking stuff for e23s anymore it seems.

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I'll take your extra seal! Send me your PayPal info.

I have been ordering all oem stuff through the dealer. No one is stocking stuff for e23s anymore it seems.

I'm going to hold onto it since the are NLA.

My Cars
    81 323i 86 535i 08 335i
    I like that idea a lot. bring me a pile of cash
    How big of pile?
    80 B6, 81 & 82 323, 85 745i, 86 535i-all euro. 01 750iL Blk/Blk 08 335i

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast