Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1985 745 rebuild log

My Cars
    85 745
    made a new mount for the MAP sensor. This is a Link 4 bar that I mounted under the intake manifold. The vacuum hose is super short so I get very fast readings.

Mounted the battery in the trunk and made all new 0 gauge cables that run front to rear of the car. I haven't finished this yet but I'll post pictures when I do. I will end up cutting the spare tire well out of the car and welding in some mounts but for now its going to sit there. If and when I take longer trips in this car i'll put a spare tire in the trunk.

Starting to program the power module. I don't have any current running through it but this module updates live for power consumption and gives off fault warnings that I will hook into the dash in the future.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 10:02 PM.

My Cars
    85 745
    Starting to build my engine harness with the fuel injectors first. Also starting to work on the inner section of the harness that goes from the Link and power module up to the firewall connectors. I'm trying to make everything to its all removable in case I need to modify anything.

In this first picture I had to make 16 gauge wire that's the power and ground supplies change to three 20 gauge wires.

After about a weeks worth of work the harness is starting to come together.

I completed the harness after this picture, then tried to start the car. I found I had a very weak spark and since these coils looked rather dated and gave me no real way of making a mount for them I decided to switch it up to S52 coils. Luckily for me I had an extra new set in my parts room. The coils in the picture above are from a 745.

The car wouldn't start.... I spent probably around 30 hours messing with everything and found a bunch of little problems. None of which made the car run... I ended up calling in Link support. A huge bonus going with Link instead of a ecu like VEMS or MS would be phone support. Since the Link team is located in New Zealand I used Skype and talked with a guy Simon. I explained my situation and within 2 minutes Simon told me I needed Ignition Igniters because the primary coil winding is only 1 ohm. The Internal ignition drivers of this ecu are only good for 2 amp which is not enough to light off the coils. The good side of this is one of the problems I was having with the VEMS is heat from the coil drivers inside the ECU. Since this LINK doesn't have those drivers the heat will be in the igniters instead of in the ECU. I see this as a good solution to a problem I didn't really realize I had. Here are the igniters I used. One last thing about these igniters, it took a full day to wire these in and make a mount for them! The time keeps adding up!

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 10:48 PM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    YES. Awesome work man.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    YES. Awesome work man.
    Thanks!

This is the work from today:

I finished getting the fuel pump relay installed. I will have to cut the body a little to get these larger gauge wires to fit under the fuel pump cap. This will be done at a later date though. This fuel pump relay is located here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...RoCQNwQAvD_BwE

I've used this relay on a few projects and really like it. It is now being controlled by the Link and runs for 2 seconds each time the ecu is powered up.

I also moved some of my battery cables around. After we remake the battery box and cut out the spare tire well I'll go back to this project. In the mean time the battery is secured and can stay.

Since the car doesn't have a body harness of any kind I needed a way to turn on the power module so I used this switch until I remake the body harness.

Here are some pictures of my inner engine harness. This area will continue to get more wires and organized as I start putting all the body stuff back in.

SHE RUNS!!!
    I have already found a few problems, I can't get my idle down. I have plugged everything off except for the throttle body which I know is all the way closed. I'm not sure if I have an air leak around the throttle blade or something like the injector orings. I'll work on this problem next but for now I just turned the timing way back and am running the idle valve at 0% pwm. I'll take tomorrow off but on Monday i'll bolt a seat in this thing and do its first burnout in the last 5 years.

Here is how she sits at the moment. I took the mechanical fan off when I was trying to set the timing and now I can't find it. I'll have to hunt that down this week also.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-25-2018 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    I really like that firewall bulkhead connector.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    85 745
    I really like that firewall bulkhead connector.
    I like it too, i'll add another one in on the other side at some point too. Until all the wiring is done I haven't sealed anything up. I will seam seal the plate I made in place but I still have many more wires to run. I'm thinking i'd like to add an a/c pressure sensor, cooling fan, and water/meth injection.

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    I didn't realize thats what it was until the later pics, I was thinking "thats a dumb place to have a vent or whatever the fuck that is".
    Extremely cool.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Hardcore build for sure! Can't imagine the costs involved but commend you for not only starting but following through.
    Lots of custom touches, and those connectors... bad ass!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by kojo96 View Post
    Hardcore build for sure! Can't imagine the costs involved but commend you for not only starting but following through.
    Lots of custom touches, and those connectors... bad ass!
    Thanks!

Update:

Took the car to the dyno, the 750 injectors I put in didn't work at all. The factory injectors I had were 315cc or close I think. I purchased 1000cc injectors and they are amazing! the idle on this car has never been so smooth. Here is a picture of the difference between the correct dimension injectors on the bottom and the 750 ones.
    Since I just finished my wiring harness I will now have to cut my new connectors off and put the new connectors and pins on. I'll swap the connectors later and will run some adapters till then.

Meet Logan, he is working on removing all the factory body harness tape. We will be rewiring this whole car. I have wired up the sunroof and will do the windows next. The gauge wiring in the car is way large compared to the modern tefzel wiring that I have in stock. I'll try to use as much of the factory stuff as I can. This weekend i'll be pulling my gold e23 in to the shop to pull the dash, I can't for the life of me remember how the factory wires were ran. good thing I have another car to inspect....

Last edited by DevInAz; 04-19-2018 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Awesome!!!! Great to see the motivation has come back around! If I ever get that way from here in Orange County I'll have to check it out!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
    Awesome!!!! Great to see the motivation has come back around! If I ever get that way from here in Orange County I'll have to check it out!
    Thanks, I'd love it if you came over to chat.

Here are the roof panels i'm going to use, these are all going to be leather wrapped in black.

Since I've been thinking about the interior in this car, I've also been thinking about the stereo. I've obtained a bunch of stuff from Hybrid Audio. Don't ask questions about this audio stuff because I don't know much about it. This stuff was picked out for me by a customer. I told my friend that got this stuff I don't want it to sound like a high school kids car. My goal is for very clear audio without the loud bass noise. We shall see how it goes but none of it will go in until my interior is installed.

The wiring on this car has been keeping my very busy. I've been building a new harness for the front of the car. I ordered a bunch of tefzel wire from http://www.prowireusa.com These guys are awesome but this stuff is expensive. Everything is 14 and 16 gauge that i'm using in the front although I have a few 20 gauge wires shown here also.

On the open end of this harness I'm going to use another milspec connector like this: https://www.milspecwiring.com/19-WAY...70_p_2459.html This will give me plenty of space to add any lights and wiper functions with multiple left over spaces. The twisted black wires are new grounds for the lights. I also ordered new connectors for the headlights and changed the front turn signal lights to 3 pin deutsch connectors like these: https://www.electricalhub.com/deutsc...4aAvXKEALw_wcB

While the car is up and running, I've been adding to the engine harness little by little but i'm almost done.

The wife loves when I do wiring on the dinner table...

Last edited by DevInAz; 05-21-2018 at 11:08 PM.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Man when you find the motivation, you go all in. Nice work!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
    Man when you find the motivation, you go all in. Nice work!
    I appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay but the summers here in Vegas get crazy hot and I no longer have the energy after work to play with my car. Luckily the temps are starting to come down and we only hit a high of 100 now. I've been planning how i'm going to complete everything and the next step is the interior. I've talked with a shop and scheduled an appointment for the beginning of December. I was quoted 10-15K for the stuff I want done and after shopping around this is the route I've decided on. The only requirement this guy set for me to complete is all the wiring. This means in the next few weeks i'll need to get back at it again to finish my body harness.

No pictures for now, but in the next month, I should have some more progress to document.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Man, I'd be curious yet afraid to know what the total build costs are on this- Car is going to be a 1-of-a-kind!!!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by kojo96 View Post
    Man, I'd be curious yet afraid to know what the total build costs are on this- Car is going to be a 1-of-a-kind!!!
    I want to say i'm around 15k right now. I told the wife I won't exceed 40k completely done... The car still has a long way to go.

So I have a small update....

So I was ready to start working on the car when this happened. Broken collar bone and tore a bunch of other stuff... The surgeon told me at least 3 months to recover.

Since I have had way to much time to sit around and think I've decided I would like to redo my engine harness. In addition, I really want to put drive by wire on this car so that the link ecu controls the cruise control. I have a
    bunch of BMW throttle bodies. I measured multiple and the perfect size is from a M54b30 engine. The size of the throttle body is a little to large so I needed to space it off the intake manifold by 4 inch. I drew up what I need in fusion 360 and sent it to my 3d printer.

Here is how it printed and I used some epoxy to hold it together.

This is it sitting on the car. Its not bolted on tight but it fits perfect and has about 1/2 space between the throttle body and the valve cover.

Now that I have the design perfected, I'm going to have one of my friends mill out the two ends and i'll use 2.5in aluminum pipe to weld in between.

Also, I paid a local tuner to work some magic on the dyno. He didn't get to far because the coils are bolted down and kept shaking off. I need to have a bracket made to hold the coils in place.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 11-09-2018 at 01:15 AM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Hey Devin

Just checking to see if you have been able to move this baby forward. So many great things already done and it helps keep me moving on mine. Hope you recovered from the injuries!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1985 735i
    Dear lord! I wanna rip my whole car apart now.

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    Hey Devin

Just checking to see if you have been able to move this baby forward. So many great things already done and it helps keep me moving on mine. Hope you recovered from the injuries!
    I sure have! I haven't been updating here but I have been knocking things out. Its been 7 months since my shoulder and I still haven't recovered all the way.... but I have been working.

Quote Originally Posted by poopin04 View Post
    Dear lord! I wanna rip my whole car apart now.
    Don't do that! I was just trying to paint this car before I kept taking things apart.... I do enjoy messing with this car though but I can't wait to drive it again!

My Image Shack account expired I just noticed and it won't let me upload my photos. I'll fix it this weekend and post up my latest.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 05-10-2019 at 01:08 AM.

My Cars
    85 745
    I've been actively working on a few things, but most of it is trying to hone my wiring skills which has turned out to be way more work than I thought at first. I'm not happy with my engine harness at all and since I didn't add things to it that I needed like Drive by wire so I have chosen to do it all over again. Since I know I needed to get some practice before I dove back into the engine I decided to complete a easier part of the cars wiring.

All of this wiring is 20 gauge Tefzel with white lacing cord.

These are the planning stages. I installed new bulbs and cleaned all the contacts of these lights to measure the amperage draw of each bulb to figure out what wiring size I need. It turns out that 20 gauge is more than enough for this rear section.

I was having trouble trying to twist 11 wires around a 4 wire core so I designed and printed these little discs to help. I have since figured out a few other ways to twist these wires but this way sped up the process.

I haven't put the final coverings on it yet but I do have everything I need.

This is a first attempt at making a coil bracket with these new coils. These are from a Scion TC or something that one of my engine builder buddies said work amazing. I wanted to get rid of the top heavy BMW coils and use a logic driver type coil with one bolt hole. I have made a temporary harness to test drive the car to make sure they would work out before I built a custom harness around them.

To make some of these brackets and such I bought this cnc router called a Shapeoko that is suppose to be able to cut aluminum. I haven't tested it out yet but hopefully it works out.

Last edited by DevInAz; 05-11-2019 at 01:17 AM.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Impressive stuff!
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    85 745
    Impressive stuff!
    Thanks, I'm trying. Hopefully I can get a lot more done in the next few weeks.

I've made some progress on the coil harness. This harness has the grounds for the Link ecu with the boost control and a/c compressor wires built in. I didn't realize until I finished but, with these 20 gauge wires I used and having 21 of them I don't have many options on connectors... as you can see in this last picture with the check out cart it will cost about 300 for the two connector sides. I also will need a lot more 1/2 DR25 so i'll buy a roll of this stuff for future projects.

I plan on working through the weekend so hopefully I can finish building the rest of the engine harness. I've also decided to move my Link to the engine bay and move my PDM to the left of the steering column. I have removed the factory column and brackets and they are out getting sandblasted now. I'm working toward physically installed a e38 740 steering column in the vehicle now so that I can start my wiring on the body harness.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 05-14-2019 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Man, every time I look thru this thread I question my own dedication and abilities.
    So much great work.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    00 MRoadster '83 745i,
    Well, I haven't been here in a while. Really glad to see you back on this Devin. Sorry about the shoulder, and hope you are continuing to improve.

Some time in the next year, I have to have both my shoulder joints replaced (reverse joint replacement on the left because it is so far gone). I am down to bone on bone in both shoulder joints.

Rehabbing an old warehouse into a workshop, and trying to get that project done before I go under the knife.

Great work. Very inspiring.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    How's the shoulder coming? Hope you are like new! Quick question, how it that Shapeoko and what are you seeing as your main use for it?

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    Good work. That disk to help with the wire twisting is genius. Can wait to see the next update.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast