Thread: 1985 745 rebuild log

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I would like to run MS on my car, but I don't want to be the guinea pig lol

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by SicStang03 View Post
    I would like to run MS on my car, but I don't want to be the guinea pig lol

People have done it, just not many of us. Way more common with the e28's. I've been getting all my info from mye28.
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    I remember 10 years ago on scottie sharpe they were talking about how MS was being worked on for m106. IIRC there was something specific to the m106 that made it difficult. Are you guys talking about doing ms just to be able to tune it, or doing a maf conversion, or doing d-jetro? Are you going for max hp or efficiency?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    85 745
    As long as you convert the your crank sensor to the later 60-2 style crank wheel and sensor everything else is very straight forward. The hardest past in getting any standalone to work is getting it tuned correctly for any condition. If any of you are in the Vegas area ever let me know.

Update for my 745:

We are starting to cut part of the floor to move the seat positions in my car around. I really want to use e65 comfort seats with heaters and coolers built in.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    I remember 10 years ago on scottie sharpe they were talking about how MS was being worked on for m106. IIRC there was something specific to the m106 that made it difficult. Are you guys talking about doing ms just to be able to tune it, or doing a maf conversion, or doing d-jetro? Are you going for max hp or efficiency?
    Megasquirt is either Alpha-N or MAP based. No need for a MAF, the only setup that I know that uses it is the Miller WAR chip. I've heard that setup is very finicky though and the tuning software is beyond out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by DevInAz View Post

Update for my 745:

We are starting to cut part of the floor to move the seat positions in my car around. I really want to use e65 comfort seats with heaters and coolers built in.
    You are really going all out on this!
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    1996 Ford Bronco

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I have all the data for running MS2 with the EH trans, just too many irons in the fire currently to dick with it. The TCU is standalone within the -013 case, on a US car you are dealing with the Fuel Rate Input... removing this from the TCU circuit puts the thing in limp mode. On the 745i, I bypassed it, started the car, and it shifted through all gears just fine. It only feeds the OBC and the fuel consumption meter. That is it, you can see this on the schematic. I went as far to spend big bucks to import the four, 3" binders of the electrical diagrams for ALL E23 bits. It has everything from the Motronic 745i layout with EH trans layout, auxiliary heater, SLS, power recline, radio, etc, etc, etc. You name it, is is in there.

There is nothing stopping you manual guys from doing it. If you cannot tune it, just buy a an MS2 ready to rock by Peter Florance. http://pftuning.com/ Better economy and more power. What is not to want?
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Any updates or dyno info with tuning sorted out? Good call with the head/piston combo. How's throttle response?

My Cars
    85 745
    Hello, this car has been sitting on the side yard rotting for the last four years...

I do have some updates but no pictures. We installed e38 sport seats from a 740. Our original plan for running e65 seats didn’t work out well for two reasons:
    1. The seat switches are mounted on the center console and I didn’t feel like making a mount and wiring them.
    2. The seat frame in the front of the seats have a bolt that points in down and back at almost a 45 degree angle and I didn’t want to make a mount for it.

The e38 seats were very straight forward and I had a shop called General fabrication make the brackets and powder coat them on black.

I also sourced euro headlights and installed them.

As far as tuning goes we are going way over the top, we have decided to use motec m130 gp. This will cost about 2500 for the unit itself. The engine will get a milspec harness with a n54 throttle body because of the inner diameter being so close to the intakes inner diameter, we will also have to have a newer throttle pedal mounted. I purchased a ignition cap block off plate that I will weld a cam sensor bracket to it to make this full sequential.
    I thought about this stuff a lot but since no parts have been purchased it could all change if something else pops up. The only goal is to have a perfect running car that can drive in any condition.

I’d appreciate a kick in the ass to get this going again.

Edit: I just realized that all my pictures are gone... shit. I’ll have to find a new way to post them all. This will take a week or so.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 12-29-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: New info.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    This thread is epic! I just spent a few hours reading it from the beginning. I can't believe you've done so much work on that car AND took the time to keep us posted. Outstanding!

Wish I could help with the build in some way, but I do have an unrelated suggestion. If you had your pics up on Photobucket, download a Firefox/Chrome add-on that substitutes original pictures for PB's P500 hotlink extortion banner on most websites. I've been using it for a month and it's worked very well...I also don't believe that it's malicious in any way. Chrome add-on here. Firefox add-on here.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    I am thrilled to see you back on this. I followed this for quite some time and now that I have mine I am keen to see all that you do!!

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    Welcome back, keep us up to date on this build. I forgot all about it until the thread popped up!

2004 Mercury Marauder
    1996 Ford Bronco

My Cars
    85 745
    Hey guys,

we have been hard at work on this car all week. Since the car sat for so long a lot has rotted away. Unfortunately I did a terrible job at prepping this car for sitting for the last four years. I had multiple water leaks since I didn't install any seals in the firewall or trunk. The water leaked through the firewall and took out my VEMS computer. Luckily for me I wanted to try a much more powerful ECU with the ability to control something like a 4l80e.

My first goal right now is to get the interior all assembled. We have stripped all the factory sound deadening out of the car. Washed it out with acetone and gave it all a good scrub. We have filled the car with tons of soundskins sound mat which has turned out awesome.

Can everyone see my old pictures? I'm trying to figure out where i'll post my new ones still but i'll figure it out this week.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Good to hear you've been re-motivated!

I can see all pictures but I installed a 3rd party app (Photobucket Hotlink Fix). Not always the safest option as who know what else it may do behind the scenes. I actually stumbled on your thread while looking for motivation to continue my build.

My Cars
    85 745
    gixxerboy, glad to hear it. I know the hotlink fix works but i'm going to go out of my way and redo them anyways. First I need to figure out how to get my pictures back. It looks like they removed all the download links for the albums.... I'll figure something out.

For anyone that runs into the issue of removing photos from photo bucket: Open chrome and search for "photo bucket album downloader", this cost me a few bucks. Sign into photo bucket and click on the album you want to download and a link should pop up on your right. I downloaded all my photos and I might change all my old links if I get bored.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 02-04-2018 at 03:30 AM.

My Cars
    85 745
    https://petrolicious.com/articles/ne...-and-e32-750il

if anyone on here hasn't read this article, here is the link.

My Cars
    85 745
    Here is the tial 50mm blowoff valve that I mounted to my charge pipe. This won't be around very long since i'd like to install a water to air intercooler soon.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    85 745
    I've spent the last week trying to find a photo hosting service that will allow me to post bigger pictures here with no luck. Instead i'll upload them to this thread and hopefully its good enough.

This update should cover everything we have done over the last few weeks and i'll try to keep it in order of our time line.

Step one was wash the car.

Step two: clean all the old sound mat off from the factory and apply all the new stuff.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    85 745

After scrubbing down the interior with acetone and a few other chemicals we started to roll in the new sound mat.

This process took the better part of a week.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 07:52 PM.

My Cars
    85 745
    The new carpet came in! https://www.stockinteriors.com/ for anyone looking for carpet. I opted for the extra backing with regular carpet.

I'm pretty sure i'll have someone else install this carpet. This will probably happen at the same time I have all the seats and door panels redone.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    85 745
    Started pulling out a bunch of the old wiring. I have two huge changes for this car i'll be working on this weekend:

1. Removing the factory fuse box and replacing it with a power distribution box from http://motorsportelectronic.com/Hjem/hp8441.html. I bought the Black one from Ryan at Rywire. Big thanks to Ryan for helping me choose this beast! http://www.rywire.com/product-p/hp-powerbox-8441.htm
    2. I also bought a new ECU! This new one is much stronger than my old VEMS. here is a link to the new product if anyone is curious. http://www.linkecu.com/products/wire...s/fury-g4-ecu/
    I wanted this ECU because of three major features that I will use. Traction control, E-Throttle, and Digital Wideband.

These wires are all old seat harnesses and wheel speed wires. This will all be replaced with new stuff.

This is how I mounted the Link, just like the factory setup. In addition to these connectors being waterproof, mounting it like the factory will prevent this from filling with water like my VEMS did. While this Link is a much stronger setup I probably wouldn't have replaced the VEMS if it didn't fill with water.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 08:03 PM.

My Cars
    85 745

I found a solution to these big holes in my firewall since the factory seals can't be purchased. I'll be using Milspec connectors like these:
    https://www.milspecwiring.com/55-WAY...70_p_1594.html

These bad boys are full blown race car items but, what the hell I like burning money.

I'll build some plates and have these mounted in this weekend some time.

One thing that I knew when the car was painted was the engine bay didn't get much attention. My guess is that once everything is built (harnesses and stuff) everything will need to be pulled apart again and painted.
    Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 08:09 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    I feel ya on the burning money part. . Love the way this is looking and the power distribution stuff looks amazing. Like a lot of others, I am really interested in how the new ECU works out. I think a lot of us would love to have a standalone ecu of some sort. Keep it up!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    I feel ya on the burning money part. . Love the way this is looking and the power distribution stuff looks amazing. Like a lot of others, I am really interested in how the new ECU works out. I think a lot of us would love to have a standalone ecu of some sort. Keep it up!
    I appreciate it. I got a decent amount done tonight but should have a lot of pictures and info after this weekend. I'm hoping I can get this running by sunday.

My Cars
    85 745
    Fixed the throttle cable with a new gourmet.

Since I have to install a -6an hose on the return side of the rail I welded an adapter on. I needed this to use my new regulator with a 100psi fuel pressure sensor. This sensor is needed to make the car run on the new fuel model i'm using inside the Link Fury. I also plugged the extra outlet for the cold start valve that I won't be using. I'll be purchasing a billet fuel rail in the future so I didn't spend much time on this. I'd like to make the feed and return -6 the full way instead of using the factory fuel lines like I did. I bought some fancy line benders and a hydraulic flaring tool for when I tackle this project but for now I just want the car to run.

With the new ECU I opted to install a cam sensor to run full sequential. This is how I made it, I didn't take a picture but I drilled a hole and installed a bolt that will trigger the cam sensor. Its setup to be a pulse pick up, this took me two revisions and about 10 hours of work.

I made some fuel pump tops for a different e23 thinking I could use it on my car... Once I looked at my tank I realized I have a different design. This fuel pump is a used pump from a e92 335. I have no idea if it will work but i'm going to try it out.

Built a bracket for the boost control solenoid. More on this and the plumbing later.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    85 745
    New ground strap

Since I removed the old fuse box I figure, might as well rewire the full damn car. Out with the old harness....

Rebuilt the full parking brake setup including new cables, parking brake pads, and a spring kit. The cables BMW only had in Germany for these cars so it took about a week to get ahold of them. I'm pretty pumped on having a parking brake as the car didn't have one when I bought it. It also makes pushing the car in and out much easier. Also order a new crank sensor and had new brake hoses made in the rear, bled the brake system and it feels great.

Last edited by DevInAz; 03-23-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast