Thread: I Need Sunroof A Pillar Drain Repair DIY

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28

I Need Sunroof A Pillar Drain Repair DIY

Can anyone post a picture or take a short vid of the Driver's side drain spout on a late e34 ? The fluid is escaping from what looks like the edge/inside of the Tire Jack Fitments location .

Well I pulled the headliner and saw the hose was cleanly and correctly connected..
    I was also able to get a little further into the area inside the kick panel behind the speaker and saw the hose running by but see no way from that access area to do anything menaingful to the bottom end... as I see no actual opening under the car where fluid exits just that it leaks out a seam I am totally stumped how to work on that end...

well.. further searching leads me to conclude there are no Holes as such at the bottom.. the hose just exits up inside the body and the paneling along that area concels that ye5t the water is alllowed to exit viz the little slots in that paneling.

I'm starting to just think I have a big hole rotted in the underside allowing spray up into the foam and carpet.. have to get it up on a lift as I can't picture how the hose can still be allowing water to exit the body underside while allowing some to get into the interior soaking the foam... gonna have to pull the seat and carpet and see what's going on.. have till later in the week before we get any more rain..
    Last edited by jehu; 12-12-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5
    Bump- I'm interested in this too.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    AFAIK the hose just drops down into the crevice like you said. I've pulled the hose out of the crevice and its just the end of the hose. The water just comes out inside the crevice and out the rocker panel, no fancy fittings or connectors or anything.

I don't really see how water can come up through their unless there is a GIANT hole in the rocker panel, you probably wouldn't miss it. I guess if there were some small holes and you drove through a river or water hazard then it might come up through the crevice, but its still a slim chance.

You could also try to look at the two(i think two) drain plugs under the carpet in the middle-left of the floor. Just remove the door threshold trim piece and pull up the carpet to see if they are properly sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    I'll probably do this tomorrow.. have to remove the seat and it'll be sunny at least...

I'll probably be able to borrow a jack and jack stand too and get underneath to look for holes.

If the head liner getting wet was from the front hose being clogged and I freed it stopping the headliner leak that how could water have escaped the drain while clogged leaking into the carpet?
    Last edited by jehu; 12-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.