Yellow Pants

FS: 1999 BMW Z3 Coupe - 5sp - priced to sell

1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    ~84k miles
    5 speed
    Montreal blue on tan
    Sunroof
    rust-free CA car all its life

Picked this up from a mom and pop dealership in Iowa. I haven't quite decided if I want to keep it as my winter coupe to supplement the summer car, so I'm trying to gauge interest for it here.

Exterior:

The car's main and biggest downside. It wasn't exactly taken care of, so there are dings and scratches all around. I'm not going to count them all, because they're numerous and commensurate with what one should expect from a daily'ed city car. Additionally- the car's front bumper has had the center portion from the front air dam broken/cut off, so that's missing as you can see. Lastly, the left door and rear quarter have been painted at one point, and not well. You can see waves in the door and orangepeel in parts of the paint. It is not a car for someone that is a perfectionist aesthetically, as it will need a bit of work in that case.

Interior:

Fairly good shape overall. One small cut in the driver's bolster, but otherwise clean and free of stains and odors. Passenger seat is in fantastic shape. The OE CD player is NOT included. Will be substitued with choice of Pioneer or Panasonic CD-mp3 head unit.

Mechanical:

No leaks, noises, squeaks or rattles. Drives very smooth and quiet. No illuminated dash lights. M52 pulls strong from all gears, and clutch is in solid shape and doesn't slip. Shifter leans to the right when the car is cold, but this is a documented issue on many cars using this gearbox. Not a problem, but more a nuisance. The car has had its driveshaft and guibo replaced, as well as window regulator (see pics for driveshaft). The shocks are at the end of their life. Car can be a bit floaty over bumps I've noticed. Lastly, and very importantly, the rear subframe mounts are in good shape with no tears or cracks showing in the floor.

Not under any of the categories above, but the car may need the cluster repaired or replaced. For some reason, it shows some jumbled characters where the mileage/trip odo would display. Having visited the dealership and set up an appointment for next week, they will hook it up to their diagnostic software to provide me with a current and most up to date reading of the current mileage. The mileage provided above is from the most recent Autocheck report I received, which shows the car to have had 83k when sold at a dealer auction in June of this year.

So with all the above stated, this is a (relatively) inexpensive way to get into coupe ownership without the premium of many other similar examples. It doesn't have the notorious subframe issue, and with solid mechanical underpinnings all you have left to do is address the body issues if you wish.

Price:

KEEPING IT.

NO LONGER FOR SALE.

Would consider a trade for an extremely well sorted e30, as I've been longing for one since selling my 318is.

Clean Illinois title in my own name, 2 keys included.

Contact me at aprses at gmail dot com for quickest response.

Free autocheck report:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19960910/RES...0autocheck.pdf

Test Drive video:

[ame]http://youtu.be/CCDZ6OgiaCE[/ame]

Underside photos:

Last edited by hexagone; 12-16-2011 at 12:16 AM.

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    anyone?