Thread: Can someone tell me about e90 option packages?

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is

Can someone tell me about e90 option packages?

I'm looking to buy a 335i sedan with manual transmission within the next two months.

Can you guys and gals help get me up to speed with what different options packages were offered for the e90, and what they included?

This will really help me find the car I want when cruising "for sale" listings, and the seller has simply listed the packages, instead of the individual features.

If there is already a source out there that details this, please point me that way - I searched this forum and went through the FAQ, and came up empty.

Thanks a lot.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    That is not an easy question to answer since the offered packages and their contents changed almost every model year. We can probably give you a ballpark estimate of what's in the various packages (at least the common ones), but there are a lot of minor and major differences year to year. Maybe if you specify a specific model year or package, you may get better feedback.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Well, the fact that it was a hard question is kinda why I was asking for help from the e90 gang.

Um, my budget will probably put me in an older car, a 2007 or 2008. I'd like to know about the Sport packages most of all, since I'd like to get the sportiest configuration. I've heard "Sport" and "M-sport", is there a functional difference (springs/shocks/bars), or is the M-sport package just interior & exterior garnishes?

I would like HID headlights (don't know if those were an option or not), and upgraded stereo would be a plus, too. Don't know what packages those would fall into, if any.

edit: Oh, and how can I tell if the car has I-drive or not?
    Last edited by sac02; 12-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by sac02 View Post
    Um, my budget will probably put me in an older car, a 2007 or 2008. I'd like to know about the Sport packages most of all, since I'd like to get the sportiest configuration. I've heard "Sport" and "M-sport", is there a functional difference (springs/shocks/bars), or is the M-sport package just interior & exterior garnishes?

I would like HID headlights (don't know if those were an option or not), and upgraded stereo would be a plus, too. Don't know what packages those would fall into, if any.

edit: Oh, and how can I tell if the car has I-drive or not?
    M-Sport is a later package that includes sport package, and is mostly cosmetics.

All coupes come with sport suspension. You said E90, which is sedans, but it's sometimes not clear if a poster is interested in other body styles.

Cold weather package includes heated seats, fold-down rear seats (standard on coupe) and headlight washers.

All 335i include Xenon headlamps. Optional on 328i.

Better audio is listed as "Logic-7" or Harmon-Kardon. Note that satellite radio is not standard. Bluetooth is also not standard.

iDrive/Navigation is a package.

Premium package is too complex to describe.

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    M-Sport is a later package that includes sport package, and is mostly cosmetics.

All coupes come with sport suspension. You said E90, which is sedans, but it's sometimes not clear if a poster is interested in other body styles.

Cold weather package includes heated seats, fold-down rear seats (standard on coupe) and headlight washers.

All 335i include Xenon headlamps. Optional on 328i.

Better audio is listed as "Logic-7" or Harmon-Kardon. Note that satellite radio is not standard. Bluetooth is also not standard.

iDrive/Navigation is a package.

Premium package is too complex to describe.
    Thanks for the info so far.

Per my OP, yes I was interested in sedans.

So satellite and BT were not standard. Were they only standalones, or were they also available as part of any package?

iDrive/Nav was it's own package?

Premium package is hard to describe because it changed year-to-year, or it depended on the other packages chosen, or... ?

Again, thanks for the info I've gotten so far. Very helpful.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Thanks for the info so far.

Per my OP, yes I was interested in sedans.

So satellite and BT were not standard. Were they only standalones, or were they also available as part of any package?

iDrive/Nav was it's own package?

Premium package is hard to describe because it changed year-to-year, or it depended on the other packages chosen, or... ?

Again, thanks for the info I've gotten so far. Very helpful.
    BT is typically part of the Premium package and comes hand in hand with BMW assist (look for the SoS button). Nav Sat was standalone, but I think it came with one of the packages on some model years. See my memory gets all fuzzy especially when you consider that standard equipment and packages differ per model year between the US and Canada, so it is extremely hard to remember unless someone kept writing them down as they change (sometimes they changed mid year too!!).
    Premium package changed the most and included different things for different years (e.g. some model years premium audio was part of the premium packages, then that was discontinued).

Sorry for all the vague answers, but unless you want us to mislead you, I have yet to find anyone who knows what all the packages on all the models on all models years are. I do not even know of a resource that kept tabs on all this, not even the BMW sales people. It sucks I know, but you can always check all the options and equipment by querying the VIN. Or post model year/build date and someone who is the original owner of a similar vehicle can let you know. More than that and you are asking for the impossible (and all attempts I have seen resulted in too much conflicting info).
    Good Luck.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    Premium package is another word for basic stuff that better damn well be on a $40k car: electric seats, auto-dimming mirror, etc.

Logic 7 (Harmon-Kardon): Sound system

Sport packages: For sedan it is the suspension, steering wheel by the metal trim on the steering wheel in the shapes of ) and (, and different seats. Go for a sport packaged E90 because the seats are so much better. If you are worried about the sportier ride, the seats make up for it. It's the one regret on my car. And increased speed limiter

M sport: Above ^ Plus >>> The steering wheel has the ///M on the bottom, and shifter is different, and you get a body kit

Bluetooth: Go through the main menu on the radio. If you see an option that says phone the car has it. (this was added, i think, to the premium package in later years)

Cold weather: heated front seats, headlight washers, folding rear seats

iDrive/Nav: Its the big knob behind the shifter in the center, can't miss it. For MY2009 and on, the 4th gen iDrive was on the car

Convenience package: a bunch of stuff I think is useless unless you are lazy. this is defined by the comfort access key

There are mechanical differences too between model years.

early 07 335s do not have an oil cooler so under consistent, hard driving overheating may be an issue, especially with performance mods

07-09 the cars had forged transmissions and forged differentials. don't worry about this.

Nav...includes navigation and idrive

Sport...tighter suspension and different rims

Cold weather...heated seats pass through in rear seats

Comfort access...keyless entry and keyless start ( ridges on handles)

I am also looking for pretty much the same thing, I have yet to find one without the logic 7

My Cars
    2006 330i
    maybe u can do a search on google for a review of a certain yr and they may list the avail options in their review..
    burgie

My Cars
    2007 335i blk on blk
    I think the Logic 7 became a standalone option on 2008, but was part of the premium package in 2007.

Sports package gives you 18" alloys with run flats, sports seats and if you have a steptronic, the paddles on the steering wheel were an additional $100.

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Thanks for all the info, everybody.

One follow up question:

Regarding the rear seats and the cold-weather package:

Are the rear seats FOLD DOWN or do they just have a PASS THROUGH (like through the center armrest)?

I've seen both terms used, but to me they mean different things, so I want to try and be clear.

Thanks
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Thanks for all the info, everybody.

One follow up question:

Regarding the rear seats and the cold-weather package:

Are the rear seats FOLD DOWN or do they just have a PASS THROUGH (like through the center armrest)?

I've seen both terms used, but to me they mean different things, so I want to try and be clear.

Thanks
    Fold down. Not even sure what passthrough seats would mean. The center console is passthrough into the trunk.
    By the way, they are standard on the coupes I believe.
    (more pictures here)

My Cars
    2018 440i GC
    Not sure if the link is permitted, but http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...kages_options/ lists the package options for the 2008 335i Sedan. It has other years as well, just got to search Motortrend's website or use Google. Breaks down the packages & options.

My Cars
    2011 335i
    For US models:

Premium package: Leather, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, Auto dim rear and sideview mirrors, power seats with lumbar and drivers seat memory, power fold mirrors, digital compass in mirror, Programmable Garage door opener

Sport Package: Sport Seats, Sport Steering wheel, Sport Wheels, sport suspension, Shift paddles on some

Cold Weather Package: Heated headlight washers, heated front seats, Split fold down rear seats with pass through

Logic 7 was standard on E90 335i for 2007-2008
    Craig

My Cars
    2008 Alpine 335i E90 N54
    I recommend 2009 model year minimum, that leaves one year factory warranty. You want this car to last and the LBMW shop is how it happens.
    I strongly suggest upgraded maintenance (service)
    I suggest Logic-7 sound system. The alternative is complete crap and you cant readily upgrade a stereo on a BMW.
    BIG THING TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND.: I recommend the NON-Sport package unless you like driving on bald rubber for a few month every year, or you are good with 1000 dollar setup each year, because you will only get 15K off that setup with a set of tires. I can push 20-30 easy on a non-sport package.
    I recommend a black or white car.
    I suggest a routine that addresses brake dust twice a week and a wash with tire bright one a week. Treat your wheels and tires like a gold watch and keep em bright. This progresses into easier care because we all know brake dust sticks because of negative attraction. But it GLUES itself down because of bad surface on the rim. There is still a LOT of information we need on BMW brakes. They are always the dirtiest front rims on the highway and there are many possible reasons why.
    I DO recommend runflats all around.
    DO NOT purchase a BMW if you live far away from the dealer shop. You need to address anything as soon as it comes up. And they can keep your car for a week so have the rental insurace so you can have a new 328 for the week!
    Bluetooth is a great safety option, and your BMW computer actually syncs to your address book, so the stereo now is your dialer!
    Last edited by RushDL; 12-11-2011 at 09:45 AM.