Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: My E39 Pixel Repair

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    Well, it has been several years (3), and all of my pixels still work 100% after my fix.

Picked up a very nice 2002 530 for my son the other day (pretty much stole it), and it has pixels missing in the cluster and mid. So now I'm going to order some more cable and do it again!!

Thanks again to Black540Msport for the great write up.

L

My Cars
    2001bmw x5
    Hi there , will this work for my BMW 2001 X5 E53.....3lt petrol , I have no reading on the cluster , where is the best place to order the ribbon ,Thank you , Niall

and is this video on youtube accurate..........BMW X5 E53 E39 speedometer LCD screen replacement instructions pixel repair

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon
    I have a question regarding the pixel display on my 525it. There are no missing pixels in the dash cluster (which is nice), but about 1/3 of the left side is very dim. Are there light bulbs or LED's behind it or is the ribbon strip going bad? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Travis

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    A dim display is caused by a failed lamp. The LCD either connects completely or fails completely.

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon
    When you say lamp, are you referring to an LED or light bulb?

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    When you say lamp, are you referring to an LED or light bulb?
    One of the twist-in incandescent light bulbs.

My Cars
    BMW 330d volvo v50
    Hi!
    Does someone knows can i replace high speedo like this
    FullSizeRender_14.sized.jpg
    to speedo with back like this
    002.jpg
    asking because i need to test the second one speedo but it is not working with wiring for first one with IKE control module.
    and i need to know is the speedo with no IKE control module damaged ore i need other wiring

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by archab View Post
    Hi!
    Does someone knows can i replace high speedo like this
    FullSizeRender_14.sized.jpg
    to speedo with back like this
    002.jpg
    asking because i need to test the second one speedo but it is not working with wiring for first one with IKE control module.
    and i need to know is the speedo with no IKE control module damaged ore i need other wiring
    The second one should work fine using the same cables.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2002 525 Wagon
    Does anyone know what size the or number the light bulbs are for the cluster?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    black night above can answer any cluster question u have... Send him a PM

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    There are 5 bulbs behind the display that are easy to find replacements for on ebay or use the part number from RealOEM to get genuine ones. All of the other backlighting is LED and not replaceable without disassembling the cluster and soldering smds.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '00 540i, '89 Iroc
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post

Thanks again to Black540Msport for the great write up.

L
    Welcome! Glad I could be of help.

My Cars
    2003 BMW E39 530i
    Alright guys - I'm taking the plunge - picked up my first bimmer this past fall and have been working down the list..

I need to replace both the Dash Cluster and MID Radio ribbons as the pixel's are shot on both, I'll let you know how it goes once I get the parts in.
    I'm ordering the two ribbons and the replacement bulb pack (everyone seems to be blowing bulbs doing this repair) from germanaudiotech - http://stores.ebay.com/germanaudiotech/

long live the thread

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    It looks difficult I'll sure spoil it
    ,by the way can you transfer the LCD with ribbon from old working cluster ribon to new used not working ribon ?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Sroor9001 View Post
    It looks difficult I'll sure spoil it
    ,by the way can you transfer the LCD with ribbon from old working cluster ribon to new used not working ribon ?
    Not without a new ribbon. The old ribbon is unusable once removed, which also makes it more difficult if you don't get it right the first time, because you'll need a new ribbon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 BMW E39 530da
    Succeeded with these and Burnout_187 (m5board) instructions. Thank you guys! 5½ hours total assembly time, with electronics repair shop facilities. I got the cable from ebay.de, 13 € including postage.

My Cars
    E39 M5, E28 528e
    Hello all,

I have been attempting this fix, however it turns out that my LCD housing has degraded over time and upon removal literally fell apart in my hand. I was wondering if anyone knows the part number for the white LCD housing? See photo below for diagram. This is the housing with four (qty 4) screws and friction pins on either side connecting the circuit board to the LCD screen also includes the backlight bulbs. Thank you!

E39_Dash_markup.jpg
    Last edited by mshimon; 03-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.

2002 M5
    1988 528e
    "Supercars are designed to mess with G-forces, and hypercars are designed to mess with G-strings."
    --Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimon View Post
    Hello all,

I have been attempting this fix, however it turns out that my LCD housing has degraded over time and upon removal literally fell apart in my hand. I was wondering if anyone knows the part number for the white LCD housing? See photo below for diagram. This is the housing with four (qty 4) screws and friction pins on either side connecting the circuit board to the LCD screen also includes the backlight bulbs. Thank you!

E39_Dash_markup.jpg
    You can't buy the housing separately, but I have a ton of them from parts clusters if you need one.

-Paul

My Cars
    E39 M5, E28 528e
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    You can't buy the housing separately, but I have a ton of them from parts clusters if you need one.

PM sent!

2002 M5
    1988 528e
    "Supercars are designed to mess with G-forces, and hypercars are designed to mess with G-strings."
    --Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Ok, this may have been covered in earlier pages but I'm not sure...

I need to replace the ribbon on the cluster of this new E39 I just bought.

- What is the best place to get the silver ribbon? There are several eBay examples between $10-$30.
    - Is tape all I need to secure the ribbon to the circuitboard?
    - What else should I replace while I have the cluster open? Other bulbs, etc?

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    You don't need a silver ink ribbon. Carbon ink ribbons are the current technology.

Just tape will work. It's a bit easier to use heat. Heat will make the ink resins stick, and some ribbons have heat activated adhesive.
    I use Kapton tape on the circuit board side while aligning the ribbon. It can be left in place. Kapton is a gold-tinted thin high temperature tape commonly used on electronics. It ages well and typically has a no-residue adhesive.

I don't think replacing bulbs is worth the effort and risk. But others have different perspectives.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    I fell into a few pitfalls while attempting to repair my MID display. I really wish someone had laid these out--I would have sent my unit off for repair instead of wasting my time on it.

First, my car is a 2003 525i. Some posts note that newer ribbons have better adhesion, which is more likely to lead to LED replacement. In my case, that is absolutely true. After very carefully peeling off the ribbon, I found that most of the ribbon and LCD display contacts were gone. Some posts claim you can reuse the ribbon. Not in my case.
    IMG_20170422_120517040.jpg

But before I figured out that I had ruined my LCD, I had to figure my way through a few other pitfalls. There are several connectors that must be detached before the LCD can be removed. The smallest connectors simply pop off the circuit board by prying straight up.
    IMG_20170422_120837422.jpg

The larger connectors slide onto the circuit boards on the LCD side like a C-clamp.
    IMG_20170422_120854405.jpg

The exact connectors used my change year over year, but the lesson to learn is that not all connectors can be pried off. Wiggle them a bit by hand and look for seams. The top seam is probably where the connector cap clamps down on the wires and should not be opened.

Finally, the flimsy metal clip used to clamp the ribbon is very easily bent, with predictable results for reassembly:
    IMG_20170422_133910893.jpg

I attempted this repair because I'm at least competent in microminiature repair, having studied electrical engineering in college. You might get lucky and be able to save your LCD contacts. But I recommend that this job is for a pro who has repaired dozens of these things.

Brett

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by ltbrett View Post
    I fell into a few pitfalls while attempting to repair my MID display. I really wish someone had laid these out--I would have sent my unit off for repair instead of wasting my time on it.

First, my car is a 2003 525i. Some posts note that newer ribbons have better adhesion, which is more likely to lead to LED replacement. In my case, that is absolutely true. After very carefully peeling off the ribbon, I found that most of the ribbon and LCD display contacts were gone. Some posts claim you can reuse the ribbon. Not in my case.
    IMG_20170422_120517040.jpg

But before I figured out that I had ruined my LCD, I had to figure my way through a few other pitfalls. There are several connectors that must be detached before the LCD can be removed. The smallest connectors simply pop off the circuit board by prying straight up.
    IMG_20170422_120837422.jpg

The larger connectors slide onto the circuit boards on the LCD side like a C-clamp.
    IMG_20170422_120854405.jpg

The exact connectors used my change year over year, but the lesson to learn is that not all connectors can be pried off. Wiggle them a bit by hand and look for seams. The top seam is probably where the connector cap clamps down on the wires and should not be opened.

Finally, the flimsy metal clip used to clamp the ribbon is very easily bent, with predictable results for reassembly:
    IMG_20170422_133910893.jpg

I attempted this repair because I'm at least competent in microminiature repair, having studied electrical engineering in college. You might get lucky and be able to save your LCD contacts. But I recommend that this job is for a pro who has repaired dozens of these things.

Brett
    Www.bestpixelrepair.com sells new lcds with silver ribbon cables already attached for about $80-90. Best to use those and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    The wiring on the glass is a deposited film of ITO (indium tin oxide).
    It's approximately invisible, and resistant to common solvents.

It can be worn away by abrasion though, so rubbing with a alcohol/acetone damp paper towel or cotton cloth is a good cleaning approach. I wouldn't use a pencil eraser, since some erasers are quite abrasive.

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    I measured no conductivity on the clear parts of the LCD, but got good readings on what appeared to be remnants of the traces. I may have missed something if the actual traces are transparent. Otherwise bestpixelrepair will be getting another order. Thanks!

Brett
    Last edited by ltbrett; 05-02-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast