Thread: does ne1 disable their abs for track days?

My Cars
    1995 540i M-Sport

does ne1 disable their abs for track days?

If so how do you do it??

My Cars
    1995 BMW ///M3
    why would you want to do that??? I have no idea about this but what would be the benefits of doing this?

Chris

My Cars
    1995 540i M-Sport
    I know I sound cocky but I honestly believe that I can out brake abs and I like to be in full control of pedal pressure. I don't want to be forced to put %100 on the brakes when ever I want to slow down. E.G. I ever get into a siguation whee I have lost it I what to have the opportunity for 4 wheel lock up to advert danger. Also I have more confidence in my senses than I do in the the abs for braking threashold.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Touring Car, 2004 Dodge Ram

No need to disable ABS for that...

All you need to do is learn threshold braking.

To disable ABS is a useless gesture. Yes, when braking at the limit of the car / tires / adhesion, then your overall braking will be more effective than slamming on the brakes and letting the ABS kick-in.

A skilled driver can threshold brake with ABS on, so disabling it becomes moot. As well, if you're feeling the ABS kick-in on a regular basis, it's either a case of (A) surface variations (ie, bumps) causing wheels to come off the ground and lock-up, or (B) you're jumping on the brakes too hard for the traction you have.

Another cause for concern; should you lock-up your brakes without ABS, it's very easy to flat-spot a tire or two, and cost yourself $300.

There is only ONE good reason to disable ABS, and that is to teach a driver who RELIES upon ABS to threshold brake without locking-up.

If you already know how to threshold brake, there is no point in disabling ABS.

Pat

I agree with Pat.

The M3 ABS is pretty nice, as well as the good contact patch - the only time I have ever had it come on (track or otherwise) was when I mashed brakes b/c some idiot ran a red light in front of me.

In other cars this is a different story - my Mom had a Saturn SC2 and I used to get ABS action almost ever time I came to a complete stop...