Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Alpine 7894 CD audio won't work but it reads the CD fine. Radio works fine

Alpine 7894 CD audio won't work but it reads the CD fine. Radio works fine

I used the smart connectors from Circuit City which made the installation a breeze. Basically just using the car harness and fitting it into the BMW harness and then snapping it onto the Alpine one. IT was really easy. I remember reading a thread about this same problem and the person had to change one of the wires or something like that to get the CD to sound properly? Would anyone know why everything else works and it reads the CD fine, but just doesn't play?

Problem with the smart connectors is I dont think I can change any of the hookups. If you've ever seen a motherboard power wire its the same sort of connection.

Well I figured out the problem but I have no idea how to solve it. I have the stock amp still in the trunk. Because I'm using the connectors where I can't change any of the wires it seems like a problem:

"If the remote wire for the amp is connected to the blue on the cd player you will have this problem. Hook up the remote line to the blue wire with a white stipe. this WILL solve your problem."

Anyone know what to do because I can't really change any of the wires on the smart connector?

My Cars
    M3, 328i

Re: Alpine 7894 CD audio won't work but it reads the CD fine. Radio works fine

Originally posted by BMW318Guy
    I used the smart connectors from Circuit City which made the installation a breeze. Basically just using the car harness and fitting it into the BMW harness and then snapping it onto the Alpine one. IT was really easy. I remember reading a thread about this same problem and the person had to change one of the wires or something like that to get the CD to sound properly? Would anyone know why everything else works and it reads the CD fine, but just doesn't play?

Problem with the smart connectors is I dont think I can change any of the hookups. If you've ever seen a motherboard power wire its the same sort of connection.
    Did you try connecting BOTH the power antenna lead and the amp turn on lead to the same BLUE wire on the BMW harness? I had this problem when I first installed my deck...radio worked, but CD didn't...It's cuz the amp isn't being powered when in CD mode, just radio....
    1997 328i Jet Black (Sold)
    1995 M3 Daytona Violet (SOLD)
    Planning his return to Bimmerdom...

My Cars
    '04 Volvo S60R '99 Ford Ranger '06 Chevy Express
    yeah you need to connect both the antenna and remote wire to the same blue wire in the car... that way both (radio & CD mode) powers the factory amp.

common issue with most people trying to install their own radios in a BMW
    bf.c common-sense club of america member #3

Yeah, I got it working.. I think the problem for me was that they were both in the smartconnectors so I had to pull out the connector from the plastic casing and then wire it to the other blue/white wire. I appreciate your help guys. :