Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreaming of a 335d 6 speed manual conversion?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwill831 View Post
    I'm confused as to why you cannot use a 335i trans? Is it the gear ratios that make it a problem. As far as being able to handle power well there are lots of 335's with more than 425 lb ft of torque so I don't see the problem there. Maybe get a 335 diff and trans so gear ratio would not be a problem?
    The gearbox isn't really able to handle 425. This is one of the: "you modified your engine, you take your chances with the drivetrain."

Using a 335i diff would make things worse as far as smoking the tires - the 335d diff is a much lower numerical ratio so that you aren't toasting the tires, and so that you can go 150 mph.

My Cars
    E90
    It will cost you an arm and a leg. It is probably cheaper to import and conver a euro diesel car to us spec and use it here

My Cars
    BMWs
    I've been thinking that I REALLY want to do this to my '09 after the warranty is up. I know it would be a huge project, but it would be sweet to have such a rare beast. My only two complaints with the 335d are that it's auto-only, and no LSD. I could fix both of those items at once and turn this thing into the badboy it was meant to be.

All that said, this is a great automatic trans.
    /thread

My Cars
    2011 335d
    Here's my contribution:

The Euro-version 335d that was built up through 8/2009 had the ZF 6HP26Z auto-trans, but were then upgraded to the more stout ZF 6HP28 trans, which has a higher torque rating. This is the same automatic transmissions used on the US-version 335d. This same ZF 6HP26/6HP28 transmission is also found on the E65 7-series, E63/64 6 series, E53 X5, E70 X5 4.8i, and whole slew of other cars by other manufactures including Maserati Quatroportte, Range Rover Sport etc

As far as a manual equivalent for the 335d's M57 diesel, look for something out of a Euro 5-series or 6-series diesel that uses the same M57 engine. For example, the Euro-Version 525d uses this manual trans, which has the part number: GS6-53DZ - TJGA (you'll find it on RealOEM's website)

According to a few sources, both of these transmissions are manufactured by a company in Germany called "ZF" (zf dot com). Although you can find the auto-trans data on their site, I couldn't find any technical data on the GS6-53DZ - TJGA manual trans to ensure that it has the same input torque/power thresholds as the 6HP28 (you never want to assume anything).

Hope this helps!

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Quote Originally Posted by checkerj View Post

As far as a manual equivalent for the 335d's M57 diesel, look for something out of a Euro 5-series or 6-series diesel that uses the same M57 engine. For example, the Euro-Version 525d uses this manual trans, which has the part number: GS6-53DZ - TJGA (you'll find it on RealOEM's website)
    Best advice right there.

The 335i gearbox is basically the same thing, but the gasoline engines have 10degrees more slant, so you need the diesel gearbox. Also some versions of this gearbox have a pilot bearing in the input shaft rather than in the crankshaft (like 335i).

www.ebay.co.uk for diesel E60 gearboxes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-5-...item2575b0ced2

My Cars
    '96 BMW 318is Motorsport
    Hey!

So the biggest problem you will have are the different ratios on the petrol gearboxes vs. what is specced for the diesels. I did the reverse, which was a 6-speed MT from an E46 320d into an E36 318is because I wanted the extra cog for overdrive and to reduce NVH on highways. The thing was a rocket ship in 1-2-3, but I would sit at 4500 RPM at cruise speed in 6th haha. Best bet is to import an original 6-speed manual from an EU-spec 330D from UK or Europe. I can’t speak to adaptability, but once you iron out the quirks you’ll end up with the right driveability and overall performance.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    I'm 58 and I've done my share of car modifications.

My advice:
    Put your money into no-load mutual funds instead.
    9 times out of 10 car mods are a waste of money.

If you do it, good luck. Just don't expect many people to be interested in buying your project down the road.
    Last edited by Mango Bob; 11-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.

My Cars
    1991 Porsche C2
    well it's been five years.. dclaw's kids are now 5,3 and 1 still no 6 speed manual 335d exists in north america. . somebody please correct me... i have a e46 m3 and a 335d.. warranty and values out the window... as in... who cares. so how difficult would it be to massage the 3.0 twin turbo into my m3... sacrilege? nah! it'd be hard to give up the wail of one of the sweetest sounding engines made in the m3... but i would love the torque and gas mileage... can it be done???

@mangobob - you are right about how and where to put your money but if money were not an issue....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12