Thread: Door open warning while driving. dome lights at night are awesome!

My Cars
    '97 540

Door open warning while driving. dome lights at night are awesome!

So while driving I am getting a door open warning along with dome lights coming on. I believe I have narrowed it down to the drivers door by opening it slightly then turning off dome light. Dome light does not come back on at this point. Im not sure exactly what controls the dome light/door warning so i am looking for some info in that area.. couldnt find much info about this being a common issue?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    Switch in door just wears out from contact...easy replace...
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    There is a rubber "button" where the door meets the chassis. When the door is closed the button is pressed. I suppose that in your case the sensor is stuck or the door is not closing properly and that's why you get the "door open" ajar and dome lights.

When you press on the dome light switch, it will not come back on if other doors (or the same door) opens, until you have taken the key off the ignition. Basically you are telling the car that you don't want that function until the next drive.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    '97 540
    well i cant seem to find a button or switch or anything else that activates the dome light which makes me think its some how tied into the latch mechanism possibly.. On my vehicle when the door is opened and the dome light comes on you can press dome button and that temporarily turns off dome light until another door is opened or the door is shut and reopened.

so can someone either help me find the hidden button or help me with how this works??

My Cars
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51218176350/ES90350/

There. You can see the switch/button inside the striker.

If you want the lights to stay off until you fix the problem: While the door is open, hold the dome light button for 5 seconds. That turn's off the auto dome light. To turn the auto light back on, just press the button once.
    Last edited by deathwarden5; 11-29-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

My Cars
    '97 540
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51218176350/ES90350/

There. You can see the switch/button inside the striker.

If you want the lights to stay off until you fix the problem: While the door is open, hold the dome light button for 5 seconds. That turn's off the auto dome light. To turn the auto light back on, just press the button once.
    thank you for the info