Thread: Nav Display not working-help!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Nav Display not working-help!

Hi, new here! i just got a 1997 528i, and the nav display doesnt power up, radio works fine. i searched and tried checking fuses (all good) , disconnecting battery for ten mins and still no luck. i pulled the unit from the dash and it is connected and wiring seems fine. i checked the two units on the back of the seat and the fan was running in the right hand side unit, and both felt warm. anything else i could try!? help is much appriciated!!!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You might want to provide some pics. Im not aware of a BMW system for a 97 528i that has an in-dash nav screen and satellite screens in the headrests (admittedly...I'm not the barometer of all things BMW nav, though ).

Is this an original or an aftermarket install? Perhaps it was added later (if BMW original)...but there's no info as to what nav CPU you have etc.

Please provide more details (and pics) if possible...perhaps someone will recognize what you have and be able to identify it. Pics are worth a thousand words.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-02-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    You might want to provide some pics. Im not aware of a BMW system for a 97 528i that has an in-dash nav screen and satellite screens in the headrests (admittedly...I'm not the barometer of all things BMW nav, though ).

Is this an original or an aftermarket install? Perhaps it was added later (if BMW original)...but there's no info as to what nav CPU you have etc.

Please provide more details (and pics) if possible...perhaps someone will recognize what you have and be able to identify it. Pics are worth a thousand words.
    I'm in NZ, its a Japanese vehicle imported here. It has a 4:3 screen on the left, and a cassette radio setup on the right. In the boot is a TV tuner unit on the right and to the left another unit. Ill get pics up asap.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The oem modules you have are around 18 years old now, not a bad innings really, so due to have failures and issues. It's up to you how much you *must* have oem modules in your car and how much time/effort/money you are willing to spend identifying the module(s) causing the issue, and then how much you'll then spend on getting other old oem modules to replace them. Those who *must* stay with oem modules, usually then purchase the later widescreen monitor, mk4 DVD based GPS computer. It 'might' be a faulty ribbon cable to the TFT panel, or it might be the TFT panel is kaput, it could be a faulty amplifier module and it's not letting the rest of the system work properly, it could be a faulty gps computer not letting the rest of the system work properly - it might be something else and it might be a combination of these.

You can try all the basics, like checking continuity of loom wiring, swapping out known working models that are compatible with your car's build date, you might also want to get NZ specific modules rather than the 'bespoke' Japan modules which don't work in any other territory.

Once you decide your chosen route, you can then progress.

I personally would say remove all the old modules, see if anyone pays you any money for them and move on that way or just junk them. In it's place, put in a premium brand aftermarket modern head unit and gain modern features like bluetooth mobile phone hands free, audio streaming, touchscreens, ipod control, SD card music playback, choice of GPS software and so on.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

The oem modules you have are around 18 years old now, not a bad innings really, so due to have failures and issues. It's up to you how much you *must* have oem modules in your car and how much time/effort/money you are willing to spend identifying the module(s) causing the issue, and then how much you'll then spend on getting other old oem modules to replace them. Those who *must* stay with oem modules, usually then purchase the later widescreen monitor, mk4 DVD based GPS computer. It 'might' be a faulty ribbon cable to the TFT panel, or it might be the TFT panel is kaput, it could be a faulty amplifier module and it's not letting the rest of the system work properly, it could be a faulty gps computer not letting the rest of the system work properly - it might be something else and it might be a combination of these.

You can try all the basics, like checking continuity of loom wiring, swapping out known working models that are compatible with your car's build date, you might also want to get NZ specific modules rather than the 'bespoke' Japan modules which don't work in any other territory.

Once you decide your chosen route, you can then progress.

I personally would say remove all the old modules, see if anyone pays you any money for them and move on that way or just junk them. In it's place, put in a premium brand aftermarket modern head unit and gain modern features like bluetooth mobile phone hands free, audio streaming, touchscreens, ipod control, SD card music playback, choice of GPS software and so on.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Cheers, i suspect screen is done. After market looks like the way to go here i think! Unless i find a later model unit for cheap. Ill see what i can find!!