Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 E39 - Tranny in Fail safe mode - time to say goodbye?

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi

99 E39 - Tranny in Fail safe mode - time to say goodbye?

so...after 216,000 miles I seem to have gone through my second transmission. I don't think BMW USA will be paying for this one. Fortunately, it happened at rush hour and I was able to limp her home at 35 MPH. I turned up the radio and just enjoyed the ride for seemingly the last time. The car has seen two marriages, 5 kids. Took me across PA many years ago at obscenely high speeds. Through rain, snow and everything in between. There were the cooling system issues and I surprised myself by replacing the VANOS seals in an afternoon. Without a doubt she has been the finest vehicle I have ever owned.

Just three weeks ago we were zipping through the backroads of southern Vermont. The sun was going down and in that twilight with windows and sunroof open, all was right with the world.

I will have to codes pulled but I am not optimistic. Perhaps a switch or wiring issue could be the culprit? That would be great as the motor still pulls hard.

But I am wondering whether it is worth the time and effort to part her out and, of so, what do you do to dispose of the rest? Or, ideally, if one of you out there were so inclined to buy her...

Anyway...I will be looking for a 2003 as there is no finer car than the E39.

Be safe, my friends...and enjoy the ride.

jc
    Westford, MA

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Diagnose, then fix. It's just a 4L30.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    worst case buy a used one and stick it in...I put a used 5speed auto in the 540...took 3 days $1,200 and i am still loving it....

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi
    unfortunately, I am not so gifted as to attempt a tranny...and at $216k miles there are certainly other issues to consider. Today, I took it for a test ride...just to see what would happen and the EML light went off and it is shifting normally though CEL is still on. I'll get codes pulled and report findings. But thanks for the encouragement!
    jc

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    give me the errors, maybe I can help you, look my other post (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post22729841) a remember itīs only for today September 15 2011

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2000 540i auto
    What else does the car need? Besides the tranny possibly..lol. I would think with those miles you would have pretty much replaced just about everything by now.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Sounds like it is a problem outside of the transmission. Get the codes read by a real reader. EML is throttle system. While not dirctly part of the trans, a throttle glitch will cause trans failsafe.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    If the tranny fails safes to second gear you have a bad speed sensor.

You most likely also have a wild speedometer reading when the tranny acts up.

The car has no idea how fast it is going and therefore doesnt know what gear to use so the failsafe is usually 2nd gear so u can limp home.

This probably isnt that expensive of a repair.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    2002 525i, 2002 325ci
    A bad MAF will put the trany in safe mode. Do u have the yellow trany light on ?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Lots of things, internal and external, will put the trans into failsafe. The EML light coming on at the same time (inferred from post 4 stating it is now off) tends to indicate an issue with the throttle system, or a helluva coincidence. Pulling codes will tell more of the story. Also keep in mind this is a GM unit, not a ZF. They behave differently in error management modes.

/.randy

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi
    okay...we have codes. First, here are the conditions at failure.

The car was parked for 10 days at the airport...under cover. I started it. It fired right up. The tranny light and EML came up and then the CEL. It did reverse, 1st and 2nd and that's it. I limped it to a Bavarian specialty Indy (no names yet) who simply said that the tranny was toast and wasn't really interested in going much farther with it. Then I limped it home and parked it.

THis morning I gave it a try and it did all the same things. But after going around the block and backing up, the tranny and EML went out and I had 3rd and 4th. The CEL light is still on.

SO...codes are:

P0134 (I know this one as O2 Sensor)
    P1580

don't know 1580 but will start searching now.

Thanks guys...!

Throttle valve mechanically stuck????
    Last edited by jcommare; 09-15-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    P codes are emissions, most transmission (and other) faults will not show with them. In other words, the P code is why the MIL is on; not the EML light or Trans light.

Be that....

P1580 = Throttle valve mechanically stuck.

That sure as hell will light up all three and put the trans in a default mode. There's lots of info here in the forum on this code. Step 1 would be a good throttle cleaning and service.

Step 2 is to find a new Indy. One you can trust to actually listen, pull codes, and diagnose before mouthing off.

/.randy

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi
    that indy was conveniently on the way...I found them on the iphone and walked in. I guess they have plenty of business.

But thanks, Randy...there is tons of info and most seem to indicate that a thorough cleaning will do the job. Then maybe I'll think about that oxygen sensor!

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    Quote Originally Posted by jcommare View Post
    okay...we have codes. First, here are the conditions at failure.

The car was parked for 10 days at the airport...under cover. I started it. It fired right up. The tranny light and EML came up and then the CEL. It did reverse, 1st and 2nd and that's it. I limped it to a Bavarian specialty Indy (no names yet) who simply said that the tranny was toast and wasn't really interested in going much farther with it. Then I limped it home and parked it.

THis morning I gave it a try and it did all the same things. But after going around the block and backing up, the tranny and EML went out and I had 3rd and 4th. The CEL light is still on.

SO...codes are:

P0134 (I know this one as O2 Sensor)
    P1580

don't know 1580 but will start searching now.

Thanks guys...!

Throttle valve mechanically stuck????

it looks like you need a new TB :d not that hard just a tad expensive
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I just cleaned my throttle body. The easiest way is to get the aerosol version of seafoam. Its about $8-12 at most autoparts stores.
    The aerosol is harder to find so you might want to order that on amazon.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html
    Last edited by topaz540i; 09-15-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    Did that fix the problem? I just had mine replaced....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

e39 on safe mode it wont go reverse and is stuck on 5th gear.

Hello everyone,
    I have a e39 my check engine lights gives me the po222 code which is the output sensor code. Now I have problems with my tranny it is stuck on 5 gear and it wont go reverse. Do I need a new transmission or only the sensor. There is no other code then that.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i E46
    How can you tell if tranny is gone in a e46 2000 BMW 323i ? The ATF OIL ONLY CONTAINER is like black ! What does that
    mean ? Isn't that fluid suppose to be red ??? How do you check tranny fluid ??

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    Question, how old is your battery? Old batteries sometimes trigger failsafe mode.

If your car won't go in reverse, transmission has lost its reverse gear.

Fluid should be red, go to www.CTSC.com.

You need to get under the car on the passenger side and remove the oil bolt on the side of the transmission. Oil should come out. Might as well spend a couple of hundred and have it changed.
    Last edited by ezbmr; 02-25-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    ATF only container is probably for your power steering. To check the tranny fluid level you have to have it on jack stands, warmed up, running and pull the fill plug on the tranny itself. A royal pain compared to a dipstick. Is there a problem with the tranny or or you just seeing the P/S container?
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    '02 540i
    Off topic, but stumbled onto this post. I don't have any of these issues, but this thread so well indicates how bad it is when the OP just "goes away" after getting the advice they may want and never "pay back" to the forum by updating when they find the real issue. This leaves a total waste for future searchers that may have same. Rant off.
    Old, contrary, and out-of-touch,
    but still learning sumpin' every day
    NOTORIOUSLY long-winded :-(

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by m5hoot View Post
    Off topic, but stumbled onto this post. I don't have any of these issues, but this thread so well indicates how bad it is when the OP just "goes away" after getting the advice they may want and never "pay back" to the forum by updating when they find the real issue. This leaves a total waste for future searchers that may have same. Rant off.
    Couldn't agree more. Very important to log back in and "close" your thread with the results. Successful or not

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Mucho truth. This could be as simple as a bad brake light switch. Yet we have "trans light came on, throw away car" to bolster the rep-by-google-search.

/.randy

My Cars
    02 530i 06 325xi
    hey..sorry guys...I may have answered to Randy individually. It ended up being a filthy throttle body. Looked really nice on the outside but the inside had a ring of gunk that wouldn't allow the butterfly to close properly. Not a ton of room but was able to clean without complete removal...
    As always..my thanks to the wisdom of the boards!
    Joe

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jcommare View Post
    hey..sorry guys...I may have answered to Randy individually. It ended up being a filthy throttle body. Looked really nice on the outside but the inside had a ring of gunk that wouldn't allow the butterfly to close properly. Not a ton of room but was able to clean without complete removal...
    As always..my thanks to the wisdom of the boards!
    Joe
    How many miles do you have on her now?
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast