Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: BMW E39 Headlight Restoration DYI EASY mode

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 528i

BMW E39 Headlight Restoration DYI EASY mode

Test vehicle
    1998 BMW 528i 114,000
    m

front headlight condition? very poor

Results =

Product = EZ1 cotton ball technique

What extra items grab to get setup

1. clean dry microfiber cloth
    2. scotch-brite heavy duty scour pads (you can get these at any grocery store)
    3. small pack of cotton balls
    4. tight fitting glove for firm grip to pad

Now that you got those items let's move on to what comes in a standard kit.

1. 1 plastic glove
    2. 1 small scour pad
    3. 1 cotton ball
    4. 1 bottle of diamond dust
    5. 1 bottle of clear coat

Getting started to the nitty gritty!

1. throw glove on
    2. open up your bottle of diamond dust
    3. in a <---- -----> motion with heavy pressure depending on the condition of your lights scrub away! Areas that aren't as bad you may spend less time on. For me the top area was my bad spot so I did that the most.

Here's what it looked like when I first started

After hitting the entire light for about ten minutes I wanted to check on my progress. Get out the microfiber and clean off the diamond dust to reveal how your doing.

After inspection I decided to go at the top again!

check on your scour pad! if your lights were as bad as mine you've probably getting close to some holes in the pad or tears. Cut off a new small sheet off the ones you got at the store, add some dust and continue!

By this time your getting tired. Too bad keep going!

make sure you keep the paste on there wet, keep at it you can do it!. The more time you spend taking off the pitted, areas the better the results. Don't be afraid to lay down some pressure. You can always work out other areas to make them look good.

Here's how I ended up after I ran out scour pads.

Unfortunately I didn't take my own advise and I only had the pad from the kit and it was toast.

We're not done yet folks, time to install the clear coat!

This part is important, read careful or you'll end up doing the light twice.

• buff your light with the microfiber towel until all residue is off!!
    • grab out the cotton balls. (you should use 1 per light)
    • Place cotton ball against bottle, turn it up side down quickly in two spots in the middle of the ball.
    • In a FAST smooth accurate one direction stroke go all the way across the light from corner to corner. Overlapping until you get to the bottom. DO NOT USE TO MUCH!!! Less is more, literately! 2 dabs!! (trust me I made the mistake, that's why I have only a picture of the right side finish! haha!)
    • Admire your hard work.

Now, time to go inside and relax for at least 2 hours while the coating is drying. Do not attempt to fix it or add more coating later. If you messed up no big deal come back in 2 hours with the diamond dust and do it over.

I'd also like to note, there is a very good DYI on a wet sanding method. I have a hunch if you were to fallow the wet sanding DYI than go over it with this process I suspect your lights would come out looking factory fresh!

Don't give your hopes up, wet sanding is hard, scary, and your worried you might mess something up don't, because this is the DYI for you! No risk, no worries, just a less old looking lights!

I bought my kit at p & s auto detailing store, you can find them online at http://www.productioncarcare.net/sto...-10799873.aspx

I'd like to hear if any of the supporting vendors stock this product!! thanks enjoy!
    Last edited by fuzzynations; 11-26-2011 at 08:28 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Looks awesome! Your lights actually looked okay compared to what mine looked like. I have to redo mine in the spring so I'll keep this in mind.

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 528i
    I was very skeptical but fairly impressed after doing it. Removed all the yellow hazing I'll add more pictures as time goes on so you can see how they look with weather that's the real test. The paperwork that comes with it says coating should last 2 years.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    One thing I meant to ask, did you tape up around the light at all so you don't scratch the hell out of your paint?

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 528i
    yes you should tape it off, diamond dust is very scratchy.

My Cars
    2003 325Ti Z3 '99
    Just had my lights polished by our local panelbeater (auto body repairer, probably to you) He used a lambswool mop and whatever polishing compound he uses. Took 10 minutes and looks a great job. He suggests that I do it every year.
    Tony.
    Last edited by tonynang; 05-18-2017 at 02:08 AM.