Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of power while driving

My Cars
    '85 M635csi, '84 545i, 88 M3

Loss of power while driving

Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my 91 850i and it's been driving me crazy for the last couple weeks, so I figured I'd see what the community has to say.

Basically while I'm driving (most notable on the highway at steady speed) the power will cut out and to restore power I have to get off the gas and then get back on. Sometimes it feels like the power goes out completely and sometimes it feels like it's on 6 cylinders. When I get off the gas and get back on the power is restored, until it happens again. Sometimes quite frequently.

There are no lights coming on when it happens.

Any ideas?

Items replaced in the last year or so:
    Spark plugs
    Fuel Filters
    Fuel Injectors
    O2 Sensors
    Intake Gaskets
    Ignition Coils & Wires

Thanks,

Ismael M

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    How bout a pic of the 88 M3 first?)

Could be several things, Sounds like a intemittent short, Are all the plugs nice and snug into place and in good condition? All fuel relays seated properly and good working order? The Maf plugs locks in good shape and not just hanging on to the mafs? DK's move freely? Check the plugs, Caps and Rotors and all important connections, Any Check engine or EML lights?
    Last edited by 8eights; 11-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    do a fault read out.
    Gets you to a result much quicker than all guessing.

My Cars
    1991 850i, Opel GT
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    do a fault read out.
    Gets you to a result much quicker than all guessing.
    Wolf,

How can he do a fault readout if he has no CEL or EML Light? I am interested in this issue as I have been experiencing the same problem for a while.

Thanks,
    Nathan

My Cars
    BMW 850
    What about stomp test?

My Cars
    1991 850i, Opel GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    What about stomp test?
    I'm not sure any method will give you a fault list if you have not had a CEL or EML light indicate a specific problem- but couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks,
    Nathan

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    I'm getting the exact same thing. A stomp test gives me 2247 (Ignition Secondary monitor) what the heck does that mean? Bank 2 (7-12) (LH) drivers side. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. No other lights or indicators.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by nacree View Post
    Wolf,

How can he do a fault readout if he has no CEL or EML Light? I am interested in this issue as I have been experiencing the same problem for a while.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    I'm not talking about the Stomp test which requires the CEL. I mean a read out using the BMW software DIS/GT1 what the dealer uses.

Cheers
    Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by nacree View Post
    I'm not sure any method will give you a fault list if you have not had a CEL or EML light indicate a specific problem- but couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    There are plenty of faults which are not indicated by the CEL. O2 sensor out of range for example.

Quote Originally Posted by IJustDrive View Post
    I'm getting the exact same thing. A stomp test gives me 2247 (Ignition Secondary monitor) what the heck does that mean? Bank 2 (7-12) (LH) drivers side. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. No other lights or indicators.
    where did you get this code translation from? You have DME version M1.X which doesn't provide this code according to my list.
    But I've had a code in the past on my car which wasn't listed either so to me the stomp test is just an indicator to take a close look using professional equipment.
    Last edited by wokke; 11-28-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Not a Ferrari
    This sounds like the cylinder ID sensor for the second bank. It's a sensor that is an inductive pickup around spark plug wire #12 that tells the DME when that cylinder (and that the bank as a whole) is getting spark. If it gets no reading it will run in limp mode on 6 cylinders.

1995 540i/6 // Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by mojocoggo View Post
    This sounds like the cylinder ID sensor for the second bank. It's a sensor that is an inductive pickup around spark plug wire #12 that tells the DME when that cylinder (and that the bank as a whole) is getting spark. If it gets no reading it will run in limp mode on 6 cylinders.
    I had a problem once with the doughnut but it didn't trigger the CEL on my car. As stated above by me 2247 is not a valid code for the M1.X Motronic software.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    You should definately plug into the diagnostics to check for fault codes.

That sort of fault would indicate an intermittant misfire causing the engine to go into limp mode to protect the cats.

Did you new leads come with new sensors or did you have to assemble 2 leads with the old sensors?

Also check those caps and rotors.

8Tech.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    I had a problem once with the doughnut but it didn't trigger the CEL on my car. As stated above by me 2247 is not a valid code for the M1.X Motronic software.
    I didn't find valid lookup for this code, but made an assumption. Probably wrong given my ignorance. Stomp for bank 1 management=5 stomps, bank2=6 stomps. Bank one was fine 1444, bank two was 2247. Most charts only have codes for bank 1 so.... I just lookup up 1247 and ....

My Cars
    I had replaced the wires that came with new sensors not too long ago, but being that they weren't original I was starting to think that maybe I got a bad set...

I'm going to try to get it hooked up to a GT1 this week to see what it says...I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks,
    Ismael M

~~~~~

8eights...here's a pic of the 88 M3...

Last edited by smokinm6; 11-28-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: pic

My Cars
    1992 850 6 SPEEDS
    Are your new wires Magnecor ?
    Regulary problems with their sensors that do not work

My Cars
    1991 bmw 850i
    Had exactly the same symptoms. After replacing right side wire set, sparkplugs and fixing intake leaks problem was gone. Unfortunately because I did everything at the same time I don't know which repair fixed the problem.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i M70B54
    A sudden los of power, and coming back to normal afrer releasing the pedal, is probobly the fault of the accelerator pedal potentiometer, had the same problem with my car, and changing that part helped.
    Last edited by Kapitan; 11-28-2011 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    Just to add to the confusion - I had this symptom when one of the MAF sensors failed. Engine would idle fine, and accelerate fine, but would drop into 6-cylinder mode under sustained partial throttlle, such as cruising on the freeway. Fault code was "lambda sensor" on the Peake tool.

Good luck

Mark in mid-MO
    1993 BMW 850Ci 6-speed
    2011 Cadi CTS coupe 6-speed

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by didchris View Post
    Are your new wires Magnecor ?
    Regulary problems with their sensors that do not work

I have exactly that problem! Everything begun after changing my wires to red magnacores, irridium spark plugs and msd blaster ss coils. When i drive slow everyhing is ok but when i hit the highway on higer rpm it suddently stalls. I can hit the pedal to the floor it even do a kick down but has not enough power to accelerate. If i loose the pedal and then hit it again everything is fixed. Please tell me more...

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by ogorek View Post
    I have exactly that problem! Everything begun after changing my wires to red magnacores, irridium spark plugs and msd blaster ss coils. When i drive slow everyhing is ok but when i hit the highway on higer rpm it suddently stalls. I can hit the pedal to the floor it even do a kick down but has not enough power to accelerate. If i loose the pedal and then hit it again everything is fixed. Please tell me more...
    Same here (new OEM coils, red Magnecores, HI FLOW fuel pumps), intermintent CEL light and instant loss of power, release and hit the pedal to the floor, I hear a thump in the exshaust and power is back, next traffic light CEL back on and engine looses power (in my opinion one bank is flooded with fuel, causing missfire). Original Magnecore sensors were faulty so I replaced them with drilled OEM sensors.
    Last edited by duje; 11-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    bmw
    Did it help? If the sensor is faulty it limits fuel on that side
    Last edited by ogorek; 11-28-2011 at 02:55 PM.

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by ogorek View Post
    Did it help? If the sensor is faulty it limits fuel on that side
    No, with original Magnecore sensors, car wouldn't start, this started happening few months with Magnecores in the car. I don't think it is the wires fault, all sensors show good resistance values, including crank sensors. Stomp test on my car is not working, so I need to find computer to read the fault. I suspect MAF, but without proper diagnostic I will probably take the engine apart and change everything before I found out what is wrong.

My Cars
    Well...I went out and bought original wires and replaced the non-oem ones I had purchased and voila! Car is back to normal... Seems like BMW has a stronghold on that reference sensor...

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinm6 View Post

8eights...here's a pic of the 88 M3...

Too cool, Nice to see other that red too, Thanks!

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by mojocoggo View Post
    +1 I had an intermittent CID probe and it would drop down to 6 cylinders sometimes without a CEL.

I've had 2247 on my motronic. EDIT: I also had a mystery code 2235 a few weeks ago that wasn't on the charts..

I had replaced the wires that came with new sensors not too long ago, but being that they weren't original I was starting to think that maybe I got a bad set...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
    A sudden los of power, and coming back to normal afrer releasing the pedal, is probobly the fault of the accelerator pedal potentiometer, had the same problem with my car, and changing that part helped.
    Well...I went out and bought original wires and replaced the non-oem ones I had purchased and voila! Car is back to normal... Seems like BMW has a stronghold on that reference sensor...
    I bought a set of Beck/Arnley wires that had bad probes. I suspect there is a proper orientation to installing the probes. Installing them backwards would cause an inverted waveform which might be enough to work properly on some cars/ignition coils, but drive other cars nuts.

On the CID probe, I measured a short between one of the signal wires and the ground pin (3 I believe). My solution, 1000 miles from home, was to float the ground on the cable connector by sticking a piece of plastic in the connector and isolating it from ground.

I returned my Beck/Arnley wireset and bought a CID probe on Ebay, then hacked up my real cable, installed the new probe, and resoldered my plug wire.

Perhaps my 750iL chips from Shogun have additional blink codes?
    Last edited by EEDegreeToDrive; 12-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    95 840Ci

Thumbs up

Great news!! I think I'm going to start here as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast