Thread: straw that broke the camel's back

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

straw that broke the camel's back

I am a first time poster. I own a 1995 540i we bought a couple of years ago. I enjoy driving it more than any other brand car I have ever owned. We actually bought the car for my younger son, who is now in his first year of college in Austin. The 540 is here in San Antonio, my wife's Honda CRV in Austin, while we ponder whether to spend the money to fix a power steering fluid leak on the BMW.

We are having to make some decisions about the vehicle. Here's a description: Our 540 E34 V-8 has 160,000 miles. My BMW dealer tells me the original Nikasil model was replaced at some point with an Alusil block, indeterminate mileage. When we bought the car, the maintenance records from the two owners prior to us were included. It has been well maintained according to manufacturer guide lines. Since then, we have replaced the transmission with one that has 60,000 miles about six months ago. We also replaced the water pump, had rear brake work, and a new set of Yokahama tires installed. The body and interior in are in great shape.

The condition of the car, plus the work we have done to it, plus how fun it is to drive, contribute to an inclination to keep it.

However, the cost of the repairs has been about equal to what we paid for the vehicle. When we bought it, even though I researched thoroughly, I had no idea how difficult and expensive repair parts were to find for this car. We have a power steering leak now in the steering box, and our mechanic tells us that a rebuild kit is not available and he can only find a "rebuilt" box to the tune of $1200 for the part and 5 hours labor at $100/hr.

My dilemma is we like the car, but can't afford to keep replacing systems with the costs involved. This seems like such a specialized car, not that many imported, dearth of replacement parts, etc. I am 90% sure we want to sell it, simply because we can't afford the repairs at this point in time. If we decide to sell, the problem is how do I determine a price for car. A mechanic at our BMW shop, which we trust completely, offered us $2000 for the car, but that seems low for a car that is in such great shape and has been maintained. I want to sell it to him and move on but, my wife thinks we can get much more.

I thought I would ask a group of experienced BMW owners for advice.

Bicycleman1

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Indeed not a "cheap" car to own if you farm out all your work. A lot of us do our own work and source our parts through the forum and salvage yards plus we have several supporting vendors that have great prices and even free shipping on parts. IMO, a leaking box can be repaired/replaced for a lot less that you were quoted and I understand you trust your mechanic, but it almost seems like he either wants to purchase the car really cheap or he just doesn't know what he is doing. (no insult meant, just an opinion)

Come to think of it, I've had four of these now and have never had a power steering box leak. I'd get a second opinion. I'd be inclined to think that you would have leaking hoses or even just the sealing washers under the banjo bolts.

If you are so inclined to get yourself a Bentley manual, some tools and hang around the forums we can pretty much guide you through anything.

If you are not the DIY kinda guy, then maybe this may not be the car for you. It's either a deep wallet, or dirt under the fingernails

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

EDIT: Check this out.... 37 seconds on Google netted this result. I don't think your mechanic looked very hard.

http://www.remsteering.com/Steering_...ering_Box.html

(Same box for 530i/540i cars)
    Last edited by LouieD; 11-12-2011 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    e34 528iT/5 obdI parting
    $1700 (total) my ass. Is your car a 6 speed or automatic?

If it's 6 speed, I'll give you $2001, fly out there and drive it back here to NY.

PARTING MY TOURING-
    M52/ZF trans/3.23LSD/MtechII/RD suspension/ACS wheels/'95 door panels/smileys/HID's/etc.

current- possible m sport

past-
    '92 525iT- motor/trans swappage/rust/big wheels
    '95 540i/6- rust.
    '95 525iT- Mike Wang
    '89 535i- gone but not forgotten
    '92 525i- auto suck tragic
    '93 525i/5- k.i.a.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Used steering boxes are a dime a dozen. I know I had one for sale forever, they seldom fail*. Check the FS section, several cars are currently being parted out. Resealing is an option also, which is all a typical "rebuilt" steering box gets...... and a paint job.
    You've already bit the bullet for the trans which is the big ticket item on these so you may as well amortize your investment over time. Fix the car and enjoy. $2k won't even cover the trans job, I'm sure.
    Oh, I'll beat the above offer by $1, perhaps more.

* Check the hoses which often leak. Sometimes it's a simple as the return hose at the resevoir needing to be cut back a smidge and reclamped, fifty cents and fifteen minutes.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    we're like a bunch of vultures. Do i hear $2,005?

My Cars
    e34 528iT/5 obdI parting
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    we're like a bunch of vultures. Do i hear $2,005?
    somebody had to .

If a mechanic told me "your car needs a part that's unobtanium, and if I could get it it would be $1200 + $500 labor. why don't you sell me the car for $2k and call it a day?"

Needless to say he wouldn't be my indy anymore. I'd probly consider mailing him a bag of poop too.

PARTING MY TOURING-
    M52/ZF trans/3.23LSD/MtechII/RD suspension/ACS wheels/'95 door panels/smileys/HID's/etc.

current- possible m sport

past-
    '92 525iT- motor/trans swappage/rust/big wheels
    '95 540i/6- rust.
    '95 525iT- Mike Wang
    '89 535i- gone but not forgotten
    '92 525i- auto suck tragic
    '93 525i/5- k.i.a.

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    I do most of my wrenchin' myself. With various resluts.. Had to redo the front becouse i forgot some stuff..

Anyhow.. A newer car with value drop and whatnot won't be any cheaper.. If you have the good fortune to own a deecnet 540 think twice before letting it go

A newer car with the same feel and power isn't exactly free

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

$59 flights

E34moneypit - the 540 is an automatic. Thanks for the $ 2001 offer. SW has one way flight for $59 now to some cities, but I have to think on this a bit.

The $2000 may not be the mechanic's best offer. We were thinking of asking $4500. I might call him back to see of he can do better.

My Cars
    95 540i, 87 325i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    resluts..

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Get a second opinion... hopefully someone from the San Antonio Area can point you to a fair BMW oriented shop there... if its actually hoses The general cost for a shop familiar with the job is around $600 parts and labor for all Power Steering Hoses..

Trivia: I managed the Lock & Go Mini Warehouse Self Storage at 13,600 IH 35 N off Pat Booker over in Live Oak back in 1990-91... Loved living in San Antonio..

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    To jehu (obsolete anachronism.) The PS hoses look good. I am confident the leak comes from the seal(s) in the power steering box. We like Rhine West and feel it is our best option in SA. I may take on replacing the PS Box myself if I can get one for the $300 online as the URL post by LouieD advertises

Trivia reply: We live in the NorthEast SA area not too too far from Pat Booker and IH 35. My dad retired from Randolph AFB in the early 70's which is why I am here. SA is a nice place to call home.

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    As the owner of 2 540's, I say you should rethink selling this car. It was very well said above, you know what this car has had done to it - what it needs now seems small compared to what you've already done. And I sat that because it likely is a fix of no more than $300 (high end and unlikely cost) if you decide you can do it yourself, and if you can find a forum member near you willing to do it, maybe a little more for their time. And as long as they know what they're doing, it doesn't have to be one of us E34'ers - hit up the regional sub-forum and see if they're anyone near that can give a 2nd opinion. I also have a feeling you have a leaky line - it's rather common at the age these cars are, unless the lines have already been replaced. And the if it's just a sealing washer that leaking, it's really cheap to fix. Both of my cars have developed the return line leak, and I've got to deal with it, but as said above, it's quite simple to trim it. Go get a 2nd opinion, then love your car again. These are so nice when they work right, that in my opinion at least, they're worth the trouble.

Fox
    Last edited by K Fox; 11-12-2011 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    '11 528 Msport, '95 840i
    i had a ps steering leak on my car as well. I took the lines out had them tested at a hydraulics shop for about 10 bucks. they were fine. while i was at it i bought all new banjo bolts and washers for the lines. cost me about $20 and i did everything myself.

Be pro-active, order the lines, bolts and washers from bmaparts.com. Cost about $150. Take it to your mechanic and ask him to install it all, if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself. This certainly wont take more than an hour for a professional to do. i would bet some serious money that this will eliminate your leak for a fraction of the price.

My Cars
    E34
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman1 View Post
    My BMW dealer tells me the original Nikasil model was replaced at some point with an Alusil block, indeterminate mileage.
    Your dealership couldn't tell you the mileage it was at when they replaced the BLOCK?? Sounds fishy...

My Cars
    e30 e34
    I've seen tons of leaky PS lines but not many leaky boxes. I think I had to replace the pressure line on my 540i when I got it, I think the hose was around $50 or so. Have you been filling it up with the proper fluid? 540i's take CHF11S only, and using ATF or normal PS fluid can damage hoses and seals. I would recommend checking it out yourself, clean everything off really well and monitor the leak to see where it is really coming from.

It is true these cars are not cheap to own, but they are very manageable if you are willing to devote a little bit of time and effort as opposed to dropping it off at the shop with a blank check.
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

Smile nikosil alusil

Quote Originally Posted by MeanM50 View Post
    Your dealership couldn't tell you the mileage it was at when they replaced the BLOCK?? Sounds fishy...
    For clarification, when I was researching E34's before buying the car, I found the information about the nikasil blocks not holding up well to high sulphur US gasoline. I mentioned this to my repair guys and they checked and told me the car didn't have the original, but had the one that BMW produced as a replacement. I think they checked the serial number or some such. Evidently this place has done much/some of the work on the car for the two previous owners her in San Antonio but weren't the ones who replaced the block.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    Indeed not a "cheap" car to own if you farm out all your work. A lot of us do our own work and source our parts through the forum and salvage yards plus we have several supporting vendors that have great prices and even free shipping on parts. IMO, a leaking box can be repaired/replaced for a lot less that you were quoted and I understand you trust your mechanic, but it almost seems like he either wants to purchase the car really cheap or he just doesn't know what he is doing. (no insult meant, just an opinion)

Come to think of it, I've had four of these now and have never had a power steering box leak. I'd get a second opinion. I'd be inclined to think that you would have leaking hoses or even just the sealing washers under the banjo bolts.

If you are so inclined to get yourself a Bentley manual, some tools and hang around the forums we can pretty much guide you through anything.

If you are not the DIY kinda guy, then maybe this may not be the car for you. It's either a deep wallet, or dirt under the fingernails

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

EDIT: Check this out.... 37 seconds on Google netted this result. I don't think your mechanic looked very hard.

http://www.remsteering.com/Steering_...ering_Box.html

(Same box for 530i/540i cars)
    Thanks for the reply, LouieD. Based on the responses from the Forum, I have a much better feel for our options. I am leaning more towards selling the 540 as I am not really in a place now were I can do my own work on my cars as in years past, and it's too nice a machine to park it. With helping two sons through college, I don't have the cash reserves to maintain it. I'll find a good home for it.

Bicycleman

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    I do most of my wrenchin' myself. With various resluts.. Had to redo the front becouse i forgot some stuff..

Anyhow.. A newer car with value drop and whatnot won't be any cheaper.. If you have the good fortune to own a deecnet 540 think twice before letting it go

A newer car with the same feel and power isn't exactly free
    Thanks for your reply Hoolie............ Food for thought..............

Bicycleman

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i executive
    Definately get a second opinion, steering boxes are insanely hard to find here in Oz, and i had by steering box rebuilt for $600 so it shouldnt be that much more at the very least.. definately check the hoses.. known to go first..

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgreensr View Post
    Hey!

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Natush View Post
    Definately get a second opinion, steering boxes are insanely hard to find here in Oz, and i had by steering box rebuilt for $600 so it shouldnt be that much more at the very least.. definately check the hoses.. known to go first..
    I eyeballed it myself, hoses as dry as a bone, wet where the steering shaft enters the front of the box. Thanks for your comments

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    After serious soul searching and discussions with my CFO (my wife) I've decided to sell the 540i discussed in this thread and have listed it at Autotrader.com with pictures. We are asking $4,990. This is the copy included with the ad.

BMW 540iA E34 - 160K miles. Engine block and crankshaft 100K. Replaced transmission on 2/01/11 with one that has 53K miles. Brand new Yokohama tires. Exterior in very good condition. The interior condition is exceptional. Maintenance records are available. This vehicle has been very well taken care of in all regards.
    VIN WBAHE6327SGF31677

I would also like to advertise the vehicle in a more BMW circle specific forum. Any suggestions?

Bicycleman1

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

Smile block replacement

Quote Originally Posted by MeanM50 View Post
    I went back and checked the service records I got when I bought the car and it states that the block and crankshaft were replaced with an M60 on 16 April 1999 at 64557 miles.

BTW We've put the car up for sale in various places including the 5 series classifieds. We are asking $4990, which seems to be in the range of other similar 540's of that year.

Bicycleman