Thread: Front pitman arm/steering arm

My Cars
    1984 BMW 733i

Front pitman arm/steering arm

I'm getting ready to replace the tie rods (L, R and center link) and I know I'm going to need to replace the pitman/steering arm bushings. The few times I've looked at the steering I thought there were two identical steering/pitman arms, now after looking at realoem, it appears there is one part called a steering arm and another called the pitman arm. Am I correct in this?

Giving the terrible condition of the bushings I believe they are the original, so what size would they be?

I see 24mm and 27mm sizes. It would appear that the steering arm uses a 27mm and the pitman arm a 24mm? Or is it the pitman arm uses 27mm and the steering arm uses 24MM Or are they both 27mm? Or both 24mm? You see the problem I'm having????

Anything I should expect to give me problems when replacing the tie rods? I know I have to attach everything and then tighten under load. Is that the same for the new steering/pitman arm bushings from above? Everything seems pretty straight forward, but I always seem to run into problems once the car is on stands.

Edit: Is there no bushing or rubber piece that goes around the bolt where the tie rod connect to the center link? Seems like that would would allow some movement.....
    Last edited by dirtytaylor; 11-22-2011 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    I have a new arm next to me that I haven't had a chance to install yet. From my measurements, the smaller side of the bushing is just over 1 inch across, which would make it 27mm. I'll call it the idler arm (the one NOT attched to the steering box).
    I ordered a new bushing only years ago for my e23 and can't remember which size I bought.

EDIT: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=32&fg=25

for my car 4/85, it shows 27mm
    Last edited by m735is; 11-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Are those bushings and ball joints in front suspension replaceable?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1984 BMW 733i
    I think the idler arm bushing is, not sure for the control arms.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    ArizonaAZ has listings for the lower arm bushings seperately (24 and 12 - whole arm is 75). But not one for the upper bushing. Realoem says the UCA bushing is $56. AZ says the whole arm is $86.
    So yes, one can replace just the bushings. But if the arms are old enough, just buy the whole thing as the joint will be bad or nearing the end of it's life.
    The joints by themselves are not, they come in the arms.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 733i
    Well, I just bought a 27mm so I hope that fits. Probably should've bought both of them since they were cheap, and Bap Geon got it to Richmond in four hours.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 733i

center link touching transmission

I put the new tie rods and center link in. The only issue I'm having is that the center link is just barely touching the transmission. Anyone have this issue before? Poorly designed part, maybe a new transmission mount?