Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: that BMW smell

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi

that BMW smell

I don't want to beat what is probably a very dead horse... but I am new to this forum, and BMWs, and I searched but could not find threads on this issue. It has to do with THAT SMELL, y'know the burnt crayon smell? Old musty rug smell? Anything new or groundbreaking on this one? It is really nasty. It's taking some of the love out of my newly purchased '03 325xi.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by donp325xi View Post
    I don't want to beat what is probably a very dead horse... but I am new to this forum, and BMWs, and I searched but could not find threads on this issue. It has to do with THAT SMELL, y'know the burnt crayon smell? Old musty rug smell? Anything new or groundbreaking on this one? It is really nasty. It's taking some of the love out of my newly purchased '03 325xi.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I have read that it is the insulation in the car that makes the smell.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Just after posting this, I found a bunch of threads on this topic. Apparently I am supposed to love it. Many people do. I guess I will just have to give up hating. Sounds like it's one of those things that binds BMW owners together.

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    You won't even notice it after the first thirty days (just ingnore it and it becomes a part of the rush) ... hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    I only notice mine now when I open the trunk... it's really bad in the trunk.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by jhyan
    I only notice mine now when I open the trunk... it's really bad in the trunk.
    Mine too

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about. It's been years and numerous BMWs so maybe I am just so used to the smell that I cannot recall ever smelling it the first time.

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about. It's been years and numerous BMWs so maybe I am just so used to the smell that I cannot recall ever smelling it the first time.
    Its there; but, not worth trading in the ultimate drive!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

My Cars
    2005 325i Silbergrau 5sp
    I like the smell in the cabin.

In the trunk, it's another story.

Maybe try some backing soda on the trunk mat for 24 hours and then vaccum it up?

"you vill haf goose pimples" Meyle HD CABS, sock mod, and new hoses, pulleys, belts and water pump.
    Weisslicht LED AEs from JleviSW that came in a Khoalty-looking box.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    my trunk smells like crayons for sure. i don't mind that. but my sister say that my car smells like pretzels....who knew.

mods: smoked corners, k&n 57 series, angel eyes, clear tails, suede ebreak/shift boot, plateless, mtech 2, white fogs, magnaflow11385, black bmw logos, smoked side markers, z3 short shifter, zcp wheels, euro plate.
    what i want:catback uuc tse3, coilovers, BSW upgrade
    ZCP wheels
    F:18x8 R:18x9
    F:38 et R:40

My Cars
    2004 330 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by donp325xi View Post
    Go get a civic. I hear plastic and rice smell go well together.

My Cars
    2005 325i Silbergrau 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtmaster View Post
    Go get a civic. I hear plastic and rice smell go well together.
    nice.

"you vill haf goose pimples" Meyle HD CABS, sock mod, and new hoses, pulleys, belts and water pump.
    Weisslicht LED AEs from JleviSW that came in a Khoalty-looking box.

My Cars
    2004 330 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    nice.
    Was meant to be a joke.

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Someone has got to break the old news to the poster. The "smelty crayon" odor is released from the trunk, rear deck and sometimes under rear seat insulation matting. Seems the factory used a mold release agent to pop out the insulation shapes. The resulting release chemicals off-gas the lovely scent for years especially in warm weather.

You can; mask it with Febreeze, rip out and replace all affected material or vent the trunk for a couple hours on a hot day. Other then replacement, most measures are temporary. I've learned to live with it as not harmful, just unique.
    Anything Made can be made Better

My Cars
    11 135i DCT, 01 325ci 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Agreed. I've never smelt anything foul from a BMW's interior, only the lovely smell of German leather. And if that's the smell you complainers are talking about, then you all need to be driving a ford or a shevy.
    Life's simple--You make choices and you don't look back._____Linea Corse Z2S 19x8.5/9.5 et30/22.5 235/35//255/30 T1Rs

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtmaster View Post
    Was meant to be a joke.
    I found it funny

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin325ci View Post
    Agreed. I've never smelt anything foul from a BMW's interior, only the lovely smell of German leather. And if that's the smell you complainers are talking about, then you all need to be driving a ford or a shevy.
    As mentioned the drive out weigh the smell but i thought your comment was funny ... you know me too well see the Burb in the back <w>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uroe46; 11-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Thanks you all for your comments. I get it. I LOVE the drive. Smell? what smell? I have forgotten about it already. Sorry I even brought it up.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI
    would love to have that smell back.. hit a skunk the other day and now my car wreaks of it!

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I don't really notice it any more. SOMEtimes I smell it in the trunk if the car isn't driven - for instance, if I leave it at the airport when I go on vacation.

Other people always say, "Your car smells like crayons."

My Cars
    528i 1998 BMW, 530i 2005 BMW
    Maybe the guy has a water leak either in the sunroof or windshield.........thats the only non-lovely smells in any of my 8-10 BMW's. I've never had any "crayon" smell in any of them. Only leather.

My Cars
    03 330i ZHP 6MT
    It smells pretty weird in there haha. i just popped in an air freshner to mask it. it worked but if i really get in there i can sniff out that GREAT smell.

My Cars
    all kinds
    my wifes 325i touring has no trunk and has the infamous crayon smell, her old 99 328i had it too, but my 330i doesnt have it, go figure

My Cars
    2004 325i ZSP 5SPD
    The unique and addictive smell of a new car, known as simply 'the new car smell', is due to the glue and adhesives used in the manufacturing process. Each manufacturer uses a different glue, which is why a Hyundai smells different from a Ford which is different than a BMW, etc. We are naturally attracted to the smell of chemicals used in glue (remember smelling model airplane glue? Me neither, hehe). Car manufacturers actually spend a huge amount of time picking glues and adhesives that will create a unique sensory experience when you test drive their cars on the lot.

Learn something new every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast