Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '92 318i E36 + Mazda 13b turbo

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b

'92 318i E36 + Mazda 13b turbo

Hey everyone,

Been plugging away at my 13b turbo engine swap into an e36. I'll post a few pictures up and got my first video today I have a few questions though and hopefully someone can help me out.

Which colour wire from the engine loom is the tacho? And was the tacho signal sent from the DME to the instruments?

I also have a few floating leads which I will need to sort out what they are. I will get pictures of them to make it easier though

Sneaky LS1 coils

Fuel pump relays

BMW parts:
    Bilstein PSS coilovers
    e46 330ci front brake upgrade
    Complete 3.2 rear axle swap
    Solid rear subframe mounts
    Rear subframe reinforcement
    Rear shock tower reinforcement
    740iL tailshaft (modified)
    Adjustable front swaybar links

Other bits:
    Series 5 13b turbo engine (unopened)
    Early front cover and sump
    Bosch 044 pump
    Surge tank
    Turbosmart FPR 1:1
    Custom headers, dump pipe, engine and trans mounts
    550cc primaries, 1200cc secondaries
    Exedy sprung hub button clutch

Power should be around 300whp... Until I put a bigger turbo on

Let me know what you think. oh and the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg9zM_4vvnw[/ame]

My Cars
    '97 M3 sdn, '00 528 sprt
    Very cool.

Wiring, the BMW ETM is your friend.

Tacho is sent from DME to tach, you should be able to use the Mazda tach output from the 13B ECU, though depending on pulses per rev you may need to use a 6 cylinder tach or use a dakota digital signal converter or similar.

'97 Sedan, Cosmos Meconium, Click ME for the build thread.

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Fark yeaahhhh!!!

Best engine for a BMW i recon. Stick german engineering in you ass, rotary ftw!!!

Is that a Haltech?? Should be able to use an auxillary output from that for the tach, i think the wire you want is Pin 20 on the X20 round multipin (confirm this though...)

More pics man!!!

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Lol I rate BMW engineering but the cost is phenomenal! I had a rx7 which I stripped most of this stuff from and made it what it is now

I had a look at your 2j e36, looks good man, but why an auto? Where did you get your turbo from? I'll upgrade to a t04z after it's on the road.

Yeah I can use the aux output, it's an e6k, I'll power pin 20 and see what happens

As requested:

If anyone knows a good painter around brissy/goldy let me know, it could use some tlc on the exterior

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    I was very close to putting a 13b in mine, i just love the concept of it!

Turbo is from the states a while back (as is half the shit on the car... way to support our economy, i know...) Was not that expensive, even cheaper now... around 1k plus shipping... Im using a Turbonetics Newgen 50mm gate too.

You in northern NSW then? How long u recon before she's finished?? Planning on entering powercruise/jamboree etc??

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Yeah I'm also guilty of buying way too much gear from the states but our dollar is just so good!
    It will never be finished man But I'm planning for powerplay on Feb 2nd. Will get it tuned at Mazfix and hopefully get a few runs down the 1/4 mile before then.
    Rekon you will make powercruise? Hopefully Dryden motorsports rb e36's are there

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Haha, i have the same feeling re: never being finished haha.

Powercruise is the goal next year, tentatively aiming for early in the year to at least be running, but still so much to do, not likely to be ready by Powerplay anyway...

Be good to see yours out there though... The Dryden E36's are mean machines too... that orange 2J E36 was there this year aparantly too, carving it up, be awesome to have a few bimmers out there handing it to the V8 brigade!

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    I saw that orange 2j e36. Not a fan of the chromies and orange paint but pretty cool anyway. There was a e60 m5 out there a year ago which was awesome, I think they only use it as a tow car now tho :0 Beats my tow car haha vt commo represent!
    Push for powerplay to be ready for powercruise, it's crazy how many deadlines I have missed haha

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Yeah im not a fan of the orange thing either, in fact its fucken terrible to look at, but makes lots of curry so i respect that!

I know what u mean about deadlines, i should have finished this car 3 times over now, based on my original deadline haha. Thats what happens though, doesnt help when you get screwed around by suppliers, story of my life right now!

At least yours is in and starting, thats a big motivator! Its gonna be a weapon of a car, thats for sure!!

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Did you already have the 13B? I like it!

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Very siked, started it again today, alternator light works a treat! Was going to try power pin 20 but it's under the battery and I felt like going home. Tried making up a top support for the intercooler and radiator but failed, take 2 will happen next week hopefully.
    Yes I had a 13b, but it was blown, most of this stuff came from my old FC rx7, but I sold that as a shell and bought the e36 with damage underneath - the tailshaft guibo let go and destroyed the gear linkage.
    Pretty keen to race a particular 2j e36 tho

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by wo0ow View Post
    Pretty keen to race a particular 2j e36 tho

haha, oh its on now!!!

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Hey mate, where did you get the Bilstein coilovers from?? What other ones were you considering?

Hows the car coming along??

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Hey mate, where did you get the Bilstein coilovers from?? What other ones were you considering?

Hows the car coming along??
    Got the coil overs from turner motorsport. Got some prices locally but nothing came close to the price from turner.
    I was thinking maybe BC racing (ebay lol) but I really had my heart set on bilstein so I didn't do too much research.

Haven't done much to the car, I moved to the Goldy so things have been a little bit hectic.
    But the exhaust and radiator hoses have been heat wrapped, just trying to finalise the wiring now.
    Pin 20 on the big plug seems to go to the DME and to the diagnostic connector, does that seem right?

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by wo0ow View Post
    Got the coil overs from turner motorsport. Got some prices locally but nothing came close to the price from turner.
    I was thinking maybe BC racing (ebay lol) but I really had my heart set on bilstein so I didn't do too much research.

Haven't done much to the car, I moved to the Goldy so things have been a little bit hectic.
    But the exhaust and radiator hoses have been heat wrapped, just trying to finalise the wiring now.
    Pin 20 on the big plug seems to go to the DME and to the diagnostic connector, does that seem right?

Yeah Turner seem to be the cheapest for them for sure. I was keen as for PSS9's, was just about to order them and then realised i would need camber plates, and the postage wasnt the worlds greatest... Ordered some BC external reservoir ones, hopefully they are ok, seem good bang for buck...

I'll have another look through my printouts and confirm pin 20... It definately came from the dme, although im not sure about the diagnostic plug...

Are you still running the DME??

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Yeah postage was a bit lame, so was customs... didn't even think about customs until they gave me a call asking for money lol
    I'm running without camber plates for now, but will put them in down the track sometime.
    Not running the DME, using a Haltech. Looks like it is the right wire, done a bit of research and pin20 on the x20 seems pretty generic for that generation of 3 and 5 series. It's been wired in, I just need to alter the settings of the Haltech and fire it up

Finshed off the wiring yesterday, inlet manifold is back off whilst I tidy the loom up and secure it out of the way.
    Will be getting the exhaust done in the next few weeks, as long as I don't blow too much tonight haha

Still aiming for powerplay, fingers crossed

Happy new year people, bring on 2012!

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Just finished doing up a wiring diagram for my car, will hopefully help the tuners iron out any issues, should they find any :S
    Let me know your thoughts:

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Coupe
    Omg mate,your my hero driving a rotary now myself,and miss the feel of bmw,idd like to try the oposit swap 3.0 bmw engine in a rx8 cant wait to see this done!!!

My Cars
    E34 535i, E39 540i sport
    Nice work mate, always loved the PAC performance BMWs
    I'm currently planning a RBe36

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Oooo I loooove driving rx8's, could use a bit more poke but the revs those engines do!!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAFF View Post
    Nice work mate, always loved the PAC performance BMWs
    I'm currently planning a RBe36
    Won't be using PAC unfortunately too far away, but if your doing a RB conversion, get onto Dryden Motorsports website, they have done a couple and now they make a kit for them

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    This is just too awesome. I've had many rotary powered vehicles but have yet to put a rotary in something that didn't originally come with one. Sometimes wish I lived somewhere that got more rotaries than the US!

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    This is just too awesome. I've had many rotary powered vehicles but have yet to put a rotary in something that didn't originally come with one. Sometimes wish I lived somewhere that got more rotaries than the US!
    Rotaries, 635, man you have good taste in cars!
    Yeah there are a few around hey, NZ is the place to be for rotors apparently. Pretty keen for Jamboree this year, fingers crossed I'll get there.
    Pics of your rotors?

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Haven't been doing much on the car lately, just been settling into a new job and house and trying to catch up a bit financially.
    Got the exhaust done, looks good underneath, muffler is a bit "how ya goin" but it's about as straight through as it gets

Can't see the system too much in the photo but they kept it nice and high.

Got adapters for the BMW oil pressure switch so now the light works properly instead of illuminating once oil pressure is reached lol

Also the tacho is moving around a little bit, but I will have to play around with the ecu output a bit to get it to work properly.

Cooling hoses, a coil pack, and fixing oil leaks and it will be off to get tuned!
    Oh and the exhaust sounds awesome

My Cars
    1994 318is Coupe
    Hows she going mate, get much done over easter???

My Cars
    e36 318i 13b
    Almost nothing lol I have had a lot going on lately and it has taken a little bit of a back seat. Just been nipping and tucking here and there.
    Slowly but surely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast