RM European Auto Parts

Thread: help, Dash lights out

help, Dash lights out --- FOUND FIX

Dash lights out for all the vent controls and the headlight and foglight controls, help anyone!

How to fix --just new bulbs or electrical prob, checked fuse its OK.

thanks
    Last edited by ganicki; 11-14-2001 at 12:57 PM.

ganicki
    ’94 344ic in process
    '97 audi b5 2.8 quattro

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    If they all went out at the same time I would bet on a fuse. But you said you checked the fuse.

Hmm. did they all go out at the same time?
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    E36
    there was a huge thread on this.. did the software switch delete it?

Yeah all out at the same time

DIdn’t do a software switch, and will replace the fuse just for grins

ganicki
    ’94 344ic in process
    '97 audi b5 2.8 quattro

My Cars
    E36
    Originally posted by ganicki
    Yeah all out at the same time

DIdn’t do a software switch, and will replace the fuse just for grins
    um.. i meant the forum.. they upgraded and then downgraded and lost a few posts

Heres the fix for the head/fog light switch, form Koala Motorsport.

Replacing the light switch illumination

Your E36 light switch is illuminated whenever the ignition is on, this is achieved with a single bulb mounted in the back of the light switch assembly. The following procedure also covers the fog light switch.

Directly under the switch, installed vertically is a Phillips screw. Remove this screw and pull the light switch straight out of its mount. The light switch is locked into the vent, it will come out as a unit with the vent. It will come forward far enough to allow you to disconnect the harness, by twisting the outer ring of the connector. Once the assembly is in your hand, remove the bulb that is inserted in the back and replace it with a new one.

see image below-- thanks to Stockman for the images

Now need to find out about the ones for the vent dials---Anybody??

ganicki
    ’94 344ic in process
    '97 audi b5 2.8 quattro

My Cars
    E36
    i'll attempt a write-up w/out pictures, since mine is all fine and fixed already.

can you remove your head unit? that makes things a little easier.

Step1 ) remove the large dials, namely, the large dial on the left and the one on the right. you dont have to remove the two temperature adjusters in the middle. after you pull them out (slowly and gently) you'll notice two screws, one behind each dial.

Step2 ) take a philips screwdriver or any type of compatible flathead screwdriver to unscrew these. counterclockwise. set these screws aside - you'll want to keep them for later re-assembly.

Step3 ) the faceplate of the HVAC controls should be slightly loose now. if anything, try pulling towards you from the top edge. this is why removing the headunit will greatly help in the removal of the HVAC face.

Step4 ) gently, very very gently pull along the top edge, and then slowly around the sides. a credit card or similar card might help you pry it off without damage. just work your way along the edges. it's clipped on at the top and at the bottom. the bottom is hard to get to, since it sits flush w/ the bottom of the black dash which surrounds it, so that's why you have to pull from the top and sides.

Step5 ) after you've removed the face, you should see a piece of white plastic. flip the black faceplate around - you should see that it's all glass tubing behind the dials... if you look at the white plastic in your dash you'll see the entire HVAC lighting is powered by one single light bulb, which is the same one you need for your lights (the instructions of which you just posted). they can be found at O'Reilly or Autozone. i brought my light bulb in and they got a matching one for me for 1-2 bucks.. forgot how much.

Step 6 ) you can pull out the bulb directly from here. be sure not to crack it, so just gently pull the bulb straight out towards you.

Step 7 ) replace.. and re-assemble the entire faceplate front. notice that it might take some 'force' to snap it in, because the HVAC controls do slide around in back without the faceplate there to hold it in. usually with your headunit out you can push the HVAC system from the back so it'll be easier to attach the face. the screws will help too.

hope that helps.. i know i have no pictures but i'll take some the next time they go out (undoubtely within a few years.. lol)

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    Originally posted by ganicki
    Heres the fix for the head/fog light switch, form Koala Motorsport.

Replacing the light switch illumination

Your E36 light switch is illuminated whenever the ignition is on, this is achieved with a single bulb mounted in the back of the light switch assembly. The following procedure also covers the fog light switch.

Directly under the switch, installed vertically is a Phillips screw. Remove this screw and pull the light switch straight out of its mount. The light switch is locked into the vent, it will come out as a unit with the vent. It will come forward far enough to allow you to disconnect the harness, by twisting the outer ring of the connector. Once the assembly is in your hand, remove the bulb that is inserted in the back and replace it with a new one.

see image below-- thanks to Stockman for the images

Now need to find out about the ones for the vent dials---Anybody??
    I was about to say... those pics look familiar...

are they used on a site? or did you just save them
    Last edited by Stockman; 11-14-2001 at 04:40 PM.

Had to give you credit man, just did a search and your thread popped up, damn I love this site.

Was amazed to see that people didn’t even realize that those switches lit up.

ganicki
    ’94 344ic in process
    '97 audi b5 2.8 quattro