Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil MTF WOW (new)

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Vintage42, BMW does not specify ATF (anymore). You are correct in that they recommend MTF-LT-2, which superceded MTF-LT-1. I have the MTF-LT-1 sticker on my 98 Z3, 2.8, 5-speed. MTF-LT-2 is not the traditional ATF at all. It is GL-4 gear oil. BMW sells 5 L bottles of MTF-LT-2 GL-4 gear oil for @$125. It is a great option for @3 people to buy and split costs, assuming the tranny capacity is 1.5 L. The Pentosin MTF-LT-2 synthetic API GL-4 (75W-80) gear oil is an even replacement. This post is not to downplay what others prefer to use, just a clarification....

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by aba4430 View Post
    ... BMW does not specify ATF (anymore)... they recommend MTF-LT-2, which superceded MTF-LT-1... MTF-LT-2 is not the traditional ATF at all. It is GL-4 gear oil... Pentosin MTF-LT-2 synthetic API GL-4 (75W-80) gear oil is an even replacement...
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/MTF-LT-2/ES1893847/
    How does it feel?
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    The Pentosin that I have been using since last December (@2.5K miles) is exceptional. I will continue to use it. If there are a couple of additional folks you know, you could swing for the 5 L BMW OE container of MTF-LT-2, and try that out.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/MTF-LT-2/ES197386/

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    GL4 is a gear lube specification. Many modern transmission fluids, both mtf and atf, meet GL4 specs. But the inverse is not true; just because an oil is GL4 rated does not mean it will make a good transmission fluid. I plan to switch to the Pentosin fluid soon, if I can find it readily. If not, it will be Redline D4, which is also GL4 rated.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    Thought I'd update this thread to say thank you to Kelly. Sent a PM about ordering some motor oil and trans oil for my M Roadster and 3 days later it was at my house. Can't wait to change out the oils this weekend and get her all ready for the season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Thank you for the kind words :-) pleasure doing business with you!

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Went with the 5w-30 and Severe Gear Lube in the tranny & diff.

only 500ish miles, but couldn't be happier so far. Really improved the smoothness of the shifts and much easier to get in gear (especially first). I also did new tranny mounts at the same time, so that might have helped as well.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    Went with the 5w-30... in the tranny... Really improved the smoothness of the shifts and much easier to get in gear (especially first)...
    What is the 5W-30 being compared with; what was in the tranny before the 5W-30?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    What is the 5W-30 being compared with; what was in the tranny before the 5W-30?
    stock, possibly original.

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    Hi! I read your thread on amsoil transmission and diff fluids. I have an E36 with manual transmission and open diff. I wanted to change the fluid in the next few weeks as the car just reached 200k miles.

The problem is that in MN the temps are brutal and I don't want to wreck anything internally ( i.e. -20F to 100F). Based on above, the 5W-30 syncromesh MTF and 75W-90 gear oil for the differential would suffice for the cold weather temperature range. Did I read that correctly? The shifting between 1-2 is a bit notchy as is getting into 3rd sometimes.

Also, I'm not sure what you have in terms of brake and power steering fluid but I'm going to do a PS flush and maybe new brakes as well. If you could give me a breakdown on pricing for those as well I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!
    Siddharth

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by sid the sloth View Post
    ... in MN the temps are brutal and I don't want to wreck anything internally ( i.e. -20F to 100F). Based on above, the 5W-30 syncromesh MTF and 75W-90 gear oil for the differential would suffice for the cold weather temperature range. Did I read that correctly? The shifting between 1-2 is a bit notchy as is getting into 3rd sometimes...
    AMSOIL specifically does not recommend their 5W-30 MTF for the Z3.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6#post27651306

This is evidently because of its high viscosity compared to the ATF fluids that BMW recommends. If you already have hard shifting, AMSOIL MTF might make it very difficult to shift in Minnesota winters. At sub-zero temperatures, the transmission might never warm up driving around town.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post27791193

Some people in hot climates like the AMSOIL because it shifts nice when hot. Perhaps some of them replaced the old original fill with the AMSOIL and were pleased with the difference. Perhaps they would also be pleased if they had used one of the ATF fluids that meet specs. In any case, it would be interesting if you would use the AMSOIL and report on it next winter.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Having recently switched from what I believe is original fill OEM fluid at ~125k miles to Amsoil 5w-30, I would not recommend the Amsoil for a cold climate. When it gets near or below freezing here in South Carolina the fluid really begins to show its dark side. It should be considered for warm climates or dedicated track cars only IMO. It is thicker than OEM fluid. I would consider OEM or maybe something a little thinner for your climate.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 07-25-2014 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    2008 550ia Sport
    Thanks for the quick reply. That is sort of what I figured would be the case. I'll find a decent dex 4 ATF and put that in then. The differential should be fine right?

Sent from my green alien

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    75W/90 will be fine for the non-LS diff.

The original original transmission fill was Dexron III. During the Z3 era, BMW switched over to the long life fluids. These maintained the Dex3 properties with extended drain intervals.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    If fluid has little or no effect on your 1-2-3 shifting issues, I'd look to a low grabbing clutch next as the culprit.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Having recently switched from what I believe is original fill OEM fluid at ~125k miles to Amsoil 5w-30, I would not recommend the Amsoil for a cold climate. When it gets near or below freezing here in South Carolina the fluid really begins to show its dark side. It should be considered for warm climates or dedicated track cars only IMO. It is thicker than OEM fluid. I would consider OEM or maybe something a little thinner for your climate.
    RP Synchromax is the best fluid for our gearboxes under most conditions.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
    RP Synchromax is the best fluid for our gearboxes under most conditions.
    That's what I put in. It closely matches the viscosity of the BMW MTF...
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6#post23307686

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    If fluid has little or no effect on your 1-2-3 shifting issues, I'd look to a low grabbing clutch next as the culprit.
    Meaning replace the expanding rubber clutch hose with this...
    steel-clutch-line---e36-325iis-e36-318iisti-all-z3-mz3-incl-s52--s54-p318.aspx

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Bump. For a 2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe with a 5 speed that will be primarily street driven and live in an area with a mild climate, are the amsoil manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5w-30 and severe gear 75w-90 still good choices for the transmission and diff, respectively? Or have there been recent developments about problems that can develop in the long term from these choices?

And if I occasionally take the car somewhere cold and the transmission is a bit stiffer to shift as a result, will it cause harm to the transmission, or is this something that people call out as simply an annoyance?
    Last edited by kornfeld; 02-05-2015 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    There are no new developments on this front. The same advice applies.

Shifting in cold climates with thick fluid is simply an annoyance for the first few shifts and shouldn't cause any appreciable damage.

Since it seems relevant and no one has mentioned it, fuel economy can improve a little bit with thinner fluids. Same goes for releasing a few HP if you're in some restrictive stock class of racing.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 02-05-2015 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0
    I ordered Pentosin for the transmission believing it was same as the factory fluid. Also Mobile 1 75-140 for the diff. I am in a warm climate and am very pleased with the result over previous performance with old fluid. I could not find either locally at a reasonable price. So the value here is that I ordered both on Amazon with a little pump and had it shipped to the door. I believe I paid about $100 for all of it.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by kornfeld View Post
    Bump. For a 2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe with a 5 speed that will be primarily street driven and live in an area with a mild climate, are the amsoil manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5w-30 and severe gear 75w-90 still good choices for the transmission and diff, respectively? Or have there been recent developments about problems that can develop in the long term from these choices?

And if I occasionally take the car somewhere cold and the transmission is a bit stiffer to shift as a result, will it cause harm to the transmission, or is this people call out as simply an annoyance?
    Thanks for bringing the thread back up :-) no changes to the advice in the beginning...please let me know when your ready to order :-)

never saw this thread....great info. Bought my 99 2 8 coupe new..hated the gearchanging action......went to redline and a Stygar ssk....a bit better...now after 193k Im gonna try amsoil. These cars have sensitive gearboxes and clutch pedals.....sometimes my driving is like Im a 16 yo newbie.....my coupe can lurch and buck for no reason.....makes me love her more...lol...but it can be frustrating.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    While not exactly amsoil related, I'll ask this here anyway: I'm seeing mention of washers that go on with the plugs for the differential, and possibly some sealant that goes on with the plugs for the transmission. Can anyone provide any more detail on these washers and sealant?

Are the washers just copper washers that can be re-annealed with a torch?
    Last edited by kornfeld; 02-05-2015 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Update:

It's been about a year since Mr. Forbes installed amsoil in my tranny and diff.

No complaints. Not as WOW as when it was first installed, but that's probably mental.

Also, can't say it's any better than stock. Only that it was better than the original (most likely) fluids with 80k miles on them.
    Last edited by ADAz3M; 02-06-2015 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M coupe
    I've been running Amsoil 5W-30 in the transmission for 3 years, in temperatures ranging from -40 deg C to over 40 deg C. The car is a daily driver.
    Shifts are smooth above temperatures of around -5 deg C. Below -5, shifts are notchy and its hard to get it into 2nd gear until the gearbox warms up. But it does warm up and shifting improves, even in -40 deg C.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    never saw this thread....great info. Bought my 99 2 8 coupe new..hated the gearchanging action......went to redline and a Stygar ssk....a bit better...now after 193k Im gonna try amsoil. These cars have sensitive gearboxes and clutch pedals.....sometimes my driving is like Im a 16 yo newbie.....my coupe can lurch and buck for no reason.....makes me love her more...lol...but it can be frustrating.
    I agree with the sensitive clutch statement. The bite point changes on my car based on temp and humidity. Maybe the Rogue clutch hose will fix some of this after I install it this spring.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast