Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil MTF WOW (new)

My Cars
    Ferrari,Mercedes,Porsche
    For whats its worth, I used some old synchromesh tranny fluid, left over from when Kelly did some work on my MZ3, on one of my sliding glass doors that lost its roller wheels. this door is now aluminum to aluminum on the track.

I have some 15 panel doors that I always planned to replace those sliding glass doors with but haven't gotten around to doing so in the meantime I greased the door tracks with the Amsoil.

It's been over a year and the door slides as easy as the day we built the house. When the door had wheels.

Two things.....one, I've just exposed my level of redneck - which better be a solid 10, and two, this stuff has been exposed to the elements for 14 months and it it's still slicker than the best analogy that describes things that are slick.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Strong work my friend.

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8
    I have been reading a lot since I have a small problem, and with this post, maybe I have found the clue.

The thing is that the car was perfect and last year in November during the regular maintenance I decided to change trans and diff oils. The label from the gear box is yellow and claims MTF-LT1, bmw recomende me MTF-LT2 and for the diff 75w140, I bought them and put them.
    Then the problem started... When it is very very cold I start the car and the third year depending on the cold it is imposible to put, If I try it grinds like if I don't press the clutch... When is warm outside or the car gets warm everything works perfect.

Now I see the numbers...

MTF-LT1 the one that was in my car for almost 12 years without problems
    cSt@40 c 37.5
    cSt@100 c 7.5
    Viscosity index 172

MTF-LT-2 the one I put nomvember 2011 and when the problems started...
    VIS40 = 58
    VIS100 = 10.6

Few days ago a mechanic told me to put an aditive to my gear box from LIQUI MOLY and it is much smoother but the problem persits, smoother but with cold third year still grinds...

I bought Amsoil 5w30 but have not put it yet
    VIS40 = 48.3
    VIS100 = 9.7

May should I put Pentosin since the velues are much similar to the ones that worked fine for me?

Any recomendations apart from avoiding third gear when cold?

thank you

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 (July98)
    Now I'm confused. I was going to go with Pentosin, but after reading the glowing reports about Amsoil, I don't know. My transmission is notchy and fairly difficult to shift on a regular basis. I think Amsoil might be the ticket - as has been suggested by some of you on another thread.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by benhenny View Post
    Now I'm confused. I was going to go with Pentosin, but after reading the glowing reports about Amsoil, I don't know. My transmission is notchy and fairly difficult to shift on a regular basis. I think Amsoil might be the ticket - as has been suggested by some of you on another thread.
    AMS is sweet - no question about it... but given what's been posted here, I wonder if it's not only appropriate in warmer climates. Here in Redding where the winter nights can get down into the twenties or teens, the AMS in the morning is a little heavy shifting until it get warmed up (a couple miles at most). In the summer it's sweet sweet sweet all the time. It clearly is a heavier oil, which I think does offer better protection, but it does come with it's tradeoffs - this is to say that I'm not going to swap it out... and in fact, the 2nd Z when it gets here the first thing that's going to get changed will be the tranny oil to AMS.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I am very happy with my Amsoil. It is a little notchy for the first mile in the cold but then is buttery smooth. I'll take the first notchy mile for better protection (in my opinion) any day.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    I am very happy with my Amsoil. It is a little notchy for the first mile in the cold but then is buttery smooth. I'll take the first notchy mile for better protection (in my opinion) any day.
    Exactly my point of view.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    AMS is sweet - no question about it... but given what's been posted here, I wonder if it's not only appropriate in warmer climates. Here in Redding where the winter nights can get down into the twenties or teens, the AMS in the morning is a little heavy shifting until it get warmed up (a couple miles at most). In the summer it's sweet sweet sweet all the time. It clearly is a heavier oil, which I think does offer better protection, but it does come with it's tradeoffs - this is to say that I'm not going to swap it out... and in fact, the 2nd Z when it gets here the first thing that's going to get changed will be the tranny oil to AMS.

Are you ready for the Amsoil yet :-) let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post
    For whats its worth, I used some old synchromesh tranny fluid, left over from when Kelly did some work on my MZ3, on one of my sliding glass doors that lost its roller wheels. this door is now aluminum to aluminum on the track.

I have some 15 panel doors that I always planned to replace those sliding glass doors with but haven't gotten around to doing so in the meantime I greased the door tracks with the Amsoil.

It's been over a year and the door slides as easy as the day we built the house. When the door had wheels.

Two things.....one, I've just exposed my level of redneck - which better be a solid 10, and two, this stuff has been exposed to the elements for 14 months and it it's still slicker than the best analogy that describes things that are slick.

Ha Ha! That is awesome Jeff! We need to hang out soon, you know I am working in Marietta again right?! www.forgedperformance.com
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 02-13-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    My race team is sponsored by and exclusively uses Amsoil products. One of the team members has access to extremely inexpensive Blackstone testing so we all submitted test samples which came with residual samples of oil following full use cycles which was on the order of 98.5% of original specs. Rather amazing given the paces we put our cars through.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    So is it safe to assume you'd recommend 5w30 Synchromesh over the normal 75w90 MTF for someone who lives in Dallas TX? It does get down to the 30's here, but obviously it's much warmer the majority of the year. Any issues to worry about at those temps?

Thanks,
    Cyrus
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    My race team is sponsored by and exclusively uses Amsoil products. One of the team members has access to extremely inexpensive Blackstone testing so we all submitted test samples which came with residual samples of oil following full use cycles which was on the order of 98.5% of original specs. Rather amazing given the paces we put our cars through.
    I also have access the blackstone, but would be very interested to see the print outs from your testing.

Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    So is it safe to assume you'd recommend 5w30 Synchromesh over the normal 75w90 MTF for someone who lives in Dallas TX? It does get down to the 30's here, but obviously it's much warmer the majority of the year. Any issues to worry about at those temps?

Thanks,
    Cyrus
    Actually, depending on your driving habit i would recommend the 75w90 mtf. . . I drove very aggresive and ran the 75w90 here in Georgia year round.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Kelly - the link to my team site is in my signature but it appears the testing results which were posted at one time are not there. I'll check around to see where they may be hosted.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    That would be great!

For those that don't know the oil tests can be purchased through me for $32.20 + shipping and that will come with prepaid shipping back for the testing

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Just in case any new members did not see this :-) bump

My Cars
    1997 bmw z3
    ok total bmw newbie here and I've been trying to find some basic suggestions for what fluids to use in my 1997 Z3 with the 2.8l engine and manual tranny. It has 62k miles and is running fine but I always change all fluids when I purchase a car just for the peace of mind. I know what I like for American cars (mobile 1 synth or Valvoline dino oils but what should I put in the Z? I live in texas and will not be tracking the car, just spirited highway driving plus some weekend cruising.
    thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Manual Syncromesh Tranmission fluid for your car. For engine oil I have always ran 5w40 in any major synthetic, no 5w30 ;-)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    Manual Syncromesh Tranmission fluid for your car....
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...03#post7913903
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    I don't understand the relevance of what you posted. The answer 2Kredz3 gave was for a 2.8 with the ZF S5D 320 Z transmission which would have the MTF-LT-2 sticker on it. What you posted is for the Getrag S5D 250G tranny that evidently has the ATF sticker on it.
    Did you have more information than what you posted that is applicable to the ZF S5D 320 Z transmission?
    John

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by WisM View Post
    I don't understand the relevance of what you posted. The answer 2Kredz3 gave was for a 2.8 with the ZF S5D 320 Z transmission which would have the MTF-LT-2 sticker on it. What you posted is for the Getrag S5D 250G tranny that evidently has the ATF sticker on it.
    Did you have more information than what you posted that is applicable to the ZF S5D 320 Z transmission?
    his only point in posting that is to point out that Amsoil does not recommend any fluid for the bmw z3 transmissions....something that has been hashed out every few years for the last 10 years. I can not get Amsoil to change their mind no matter what evidence i show them because the fluid they offer is not a direct replacement. But hey if you wanted a direct replacement fluid you would just buy the oem fluid ;-) as i am sure everyone is perfectly happy with how the factory fill has worked so far!

My Cars
    Z3 2001 3.0, 2006 X3 3.0
    Bottom line question : is there anybody on this board who has EVIDENCE that 2kredz3's recommendation as far as Amsoil's transmission oil is concerned has led to a transmission failure ???
    If someone has EVIDENCE then we may have a problem, otherwise we are good.
    Last edited by droz3; 11-22-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade. 3.73 diff.
    Latest mod : UCC short shifter ... love it.
    X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    I have Amsoil in my trans and I am very happy with it. 99 ///M S52.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You will not be able to get a definitive answer to the failure question. 200K vs 300K miles... who is to say how much of a failure is down to the oil.

What I can tell you for sure is my car did not like the Amsoil. I ran it for several years, and the coldish shifting was notchy and stiff. When I drained it and went with ATF, the difference was night and day; it shifts very nicely no matter the temp now. There are several choices for a transmission oil of the proper specifications. The Amsoil is thicker than BMW specs, and corporate knows that. I went with ATF as a simple and cheap test. It worked.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Randy, you certainly have the knowledge and experience to try many things I might not. I'm curious what made you decide to try the ATF since I presume you have the same MTF-LT-2 sticker I have.

I ran the Amsoil in mine this year and was very happy with the change btw.
    John

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    You will not be able to get a definitive answer to the failure question. 200K vs 300K miles... who is to say how much of a failure is down to the oil.

What I can tell you for sure is my car did not like the Amsoil. I ran it for several years, and the coldish shifting was notchy and stiff. When I drained it and went with ATF, the difference was night and day; it shifts very nicely no matter the temp now. There are several choices for a transmission oil of the proper specifications. The Amsoil is thicker than BMW specs, and corporate knows that. I went with ATF as a simple and cheap test. It worked.
    My guess is most of us will be long dead before the 200/300 failure rate happens. If you like the feel of Amsoil in your trany- go with it. If you don't like it-change it out. Life it way too short to obsess about an anecdotal idiom. JMHO

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    ... Has anyone ever used one quart of 5-30 and one quart of 75-90 at the same time? Would it be like running a multi -multi weight 5-30-75-90 and have the best of both oils or would they not mix and make bad things happen...
    Nothing bad would happen. Oils mix. You would not get the best of both. The best of each would be halved. But both are far more viscous than BMW's specs for ATF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WisM View Post
    ... I'm curious what made you decide to try the ATF since I presume you have the same MTF-LT-2 sticker I have...
    ATF is what BMW specifies, and MTF-LT-2 is the latest iteration of the recommended ATF. Why not try it?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast