Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil MTF WOW (new)

My Cars
    E36 M3, E36/8 M Coupe
    2kredz3,

What MT oil does Amsoil make that would be the equivalent to Redline MT-90? I've been running Redline in my other car, a supercharged MR2 with a helical (no clutch packs) LSD. I mention the LSD because it's a transaxle, so the differential shares its lubrication with the transmission. I've been so impressed with the Amsoil in my M Coupe (5w30 Syncromesh) that I wanted to switch the Spyder as well. It's making about 300hp and 200ftlb (vs 190hp and 150ftlb stock.) Your recommendation?

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    Yes, you will like the thicker 75w90. Make sure it is the mtf 75w90 not the gear oil.
    Why?, is a synchro. additive in it? aren't gears all gears?

My Cars
    '14 X3
    I am a convert too. It took about 200 miles of break-in to feel the improved smoothness.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    Why?, is a synchro. additive in it? aren't gears all gears?
    In a word, NO.

Gear lube has many variations. The stuff you buy in the stores now days is GL-5, which has a lot of high pressure additives making it suitable for use in hypoid gear drives. Many transmissions specificly ban use of GL-5 due to those additives.

/.randy

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    In a word, NO.

Gear lube has many variations. The stuff you buy in the stores now days is GL-5, which has a lot of high pressure additives making it suitable for use in hypoid gear drives. Many transmissions specificly ban use of GL-5 due to those additives.
    I never got why, the same load is on the tranny gears, only they are much smaller, you'd think they need the extra protection more. Thicker,I would understand, but the original post had identical weights.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    With normal gears, such as in a transmission, the gear teeth never move across each other. The come into contact, and they come out. But there is no movement at the contact point. This is not so with hypoid gears. They wipe across the contact surface as they move. It takes a much stronger lubricant to deal with this load. GL-5 has additives to deal with it. These additives are often corrosive to some metals.

/.randy

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Gl-5 is harmful to yellow metals specifically. Such as brass and copper, which is what synchros are made from. There are gl-5 fluid designed not to harm yellow metals (amsoil 75w90 manual transmission and transaxle lube) but these fluids are not suitable for use in rear differentuals.

Basically it just depends on the aditive package, the weights of oil are only to reference performance @ various temps.

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    I've been an avid Amsoil user for almost 10 yrs now... in my bikes, pwc's, boats, and family's cars I maintain... good stuff!. Their P.I. is amazing too.

Anyway, my question is this... My '97 Z3 1.9 manual tranny has label saying to use ATF. When I first bought my car, it shifted terribly, but after changing all the bushings realated to the shift links, new clutch (and everything associated with it)... last was Amsoil ATF. It took a few hundred miles, but it did improve... not 100%. Maybe 90% better, which is still amazing. So... can I use Amsoil MTF 5w-30 instead of ATF for my manual tranny?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Yes i would change to the MTF I did testing with all the transmission products from amsoil and a few other companies in the z3's and mz3's and the MTF is the most compliant for all driving conditions. the atf is just a hair too thin.

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    What Amsoil do you recommend for my diff. I have a 1.9L 4 cylinder. Mainly DD not taken on tracks.

Just replaced my tranny with Amsoil Synthetic ATF this weekend has seen improvements on shifting.

Thanks

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    do you know if you have an open diff?

My Cars
    Y2K 2.5 , '01 3.0 Cpe
    Amsoil - waitin fer warmer weather to change my manual tranny fluid out, but my bike, 1.6L Roadstar, has seen Amsoil Synth since 600 miles and 60,000 miles later has yet to have issue one with the transmission or any other lubricated part. Bikes are particularly hard on oils especially those that share oil with transmission, wet clutch and engine body ( like mine). Bike gets changed out every 4K, even tho with synth you can go longer. On doing a clutch plate change this year the inside of the engine looks brandy new.
    Suck, bang, blow - that's what it's all about.

2000 Z3, 2.3L Roadster, Blk / 2001 Z3 Coupe, 3.0 , Hell Rot II / 2000 Road Star 1.6L ( bike) Blk w/flames
    '04 Suzuki Savage .65L Grey ( our loaner bike ) / '04 Astro ( HMS Hellion) Ship - see http://thebrigands.com for pics
    / '94 Brand H Del Sol

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    I don't, but I'll check.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    without lsd = 75w90
    with lsd = 75w110

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    without lsd = 75w90
    with lsd = 75w110

Kelly,

Need some clarification on gear oil weights before I open this Amsoil 75w110. I was looking through the TIS and found what, at first blush, looks like discrepancies with your recommendations and I wanted to get your feedback.

The TIS states that non-limited-slip diffs get SAF-XO oil (old spec 75w90) and limited-slip diffs get SAF-XJ (75w140). I can see how you would spec 75w110 in place of 75w90 due to the change in API guidelines. But, it seems that SAF-XJ is indicated for my car ('01 3.0i) and 75w140 would be the one to go with.

Is the 75w110 recommendation because of the Torsen diff as opposed to a multi-plate lsd? Just want to be sure before I crack these bottles open...

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Personal experience has led me to recommend 75w110 over 75w90 in the 6cyl non m z3's. 75w90 is fine for the 4cyl cars (without lsd). I have found the 75w110 runs smoother in the torsion units then 75w90 and offers lower diff temps after spirited driving. I hope that helps :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    Kelly,

Need some clarification on gear oil weights before I open this Amsoil 75w110. I was looking through the TIS and found what, at first blush, looks like discrepancies with your recommendations and I wanted to get your feedback.

The TIS states that non-limited-slip diffs get SAF-XO oil (old spec 75w90) and limited-slip diffs get SAF-XJ (75w140). I can see how you would spec 75w110 in place of 75w90 due to the change in API guidelines. But, it seems that SAF-XJ is indicated for my car ('01 3.0i) and 75w140 would be the one to go with.

Is the 75w110 recommendation because of the Torsen diff as opposed to a multi-plate lsd? Just want to be sure before I crack these bottles open...
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 01-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9
    Whats up everyone, I'm glad I caught this thread because I've been having cold shifting extreme stiffness in my trans with mobil one 75-90 and searched the forums for a thread like this with no luck. Thanks for all this great info you guys have posted, it has helped me alot and I'll be switching to Amsoil asap. I've never experienced a cold shift problem before with the American cars I've had before this Z. Its just a viscosity issue and before reading this post I did not know there was a 5-30 weight trans fluid in existence so thanks for educating me.
    Last edited by Bergen Bimmer; 01-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Personal experience has led me to recommend 75w110 over 75w90 in the 6cyl non m z3's. 75w90 is fine for the 4cyl cars (without lsd). I have found the 75w110 runs smoother in the torsion units then 75w90 and offers lower diff temps after spirited driving. I hope that helps :-)
    Okay. After reviewing the TIS more carefully, I see that the 75w140 (SAF-XJ) recommendation is for multi-plate limited-slip differentials (which ARE in the M) and that the Torsen units do not fit that description. So it looks like 75w90 was the original spec for the Torsen units and the 75w110 is the way to go to hit the high end of the OLD API viscosity range for 75w90...

Thanks, Kelly!
    Last edited by dkindig; 01-11-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    I have to get some of this stuff in the spring / summer for sure based on how much everyone seems to be loving it. Prob grab some dif fluid too if you have it for the eventual 2.93 swap.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster Cnv
    Plus one on Amsoil Severe Gear, for Diffs! Great for running hard. I will be picking this up as well. MTF
    Last edited by aquirolando; 01-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster

Okay, I just joined the "Me too!" club...

Spent the day changing out tranny fluid to MTF, diff fluid to Severe Gear 75w110, flushing the brakes, flushing the power steering, then went out for a test drive...

WOW!

I could tell the difference in transmission noise coming down the hill from my house (30% grade that I ride second gear down). The tranny shifting is silky-smooth and the characteristic whine that I had from the diff under no-load conditions from 55-65 mph is almost completely gone!

The passenger compartment is much quieter now and I can hear the engine like never before. I am very impressed! Thanks Kelly!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    I have to get some of this stuff in the spring / summer for sure based on how much everyone seems to be loving it. Prob grab some dif fluid too if you have it for the eventual 2.93 swap.
    I keep tons in stock of all flavors, and if you happen to be close to one of the amsoil distribution centers then i can drop ship from there as well :-) just let me know when your ready. I am offering 10% off all orders right now

Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    Spent the day changing out tranny fluid to MTF, diff fluid to Severe Gear 75w110, flushing the brakes, flushing the power steering, then went out for a test drive...

WOW!

I could tell the difference in transmission noise coming down the hill from my house (30% grade that I ride second gear down). The tranny shifting is silky-smooth and the characteristic whine that I had from the diff under no-load conditions from 55-65 mph is almost completely gone!

The passenger compartment is much quieter now and I can hear the engine like never before. I am very impressed! Thanks Kelly!
    :-) I have brake fluid and the correct fluid for the power steering system as well maybe next time. It was a pleasure doing business with you, I hope that the shipping time was acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Sandbag View Post
    2kredz3,

What MT oil does Amsoil make that would be the equivalent to Redline MT-90? I've been running Redline in my other car, a supercharged MR2 with a helical (no clutch packs) LSD. I mention the LSD because it's a transaxle, so the differential shares its lubrication with the transmission. I've been so impressed with the Amsoil in my M Coupe (5w30 Syncromesh) that I wanted to switch the Spyder as well. It's making about 300hp and 200ftlb (vs 190hp and 150ftlb stock.) Your recommendation?

Thanks!
    sorry i missed this :-( the 75w90 manual transmission and transaxle lube is what you want :-)
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 01-13-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9
    Switched from 75-90 Mobil one to Amsoil light viscosity ATF this morning and in my 5 mile test drive noticed an improvement to the warm shifting(I had warmed up the trans on a quick ride before dropping the fluid). Will see how it does tomorrow morning after sitting in freezing temps all night and post my feelings on that. Thanks again 2kredZ3 I think you saved my trans, I only hope I can return the favor somehow. One more thing, I know you recommend the synchro mesh 5-30 for my application which was not available at my local Napa store so I got what I could get because it needed the change asap, so have you tried the light viscosity or know much about it in these transmissions?

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Bimmer
    Switched from 75-90 Mobil one to Amsoil light viscosity ATF this morning and in my 5 mile test drive noticed an improvement to the warm shifting(I had warmed up the trans on a quick ride before dropping the fluid). Will see how it does tomorrow morning after sitting in freezing temps all night and post my feelings on that. Thanks again 2kredZ3 I think you saved my trans, I only hope I can return the favor somehow. One more thing, I know you recommend the synchro mesh 5-30 for my application which was not available at my local Napa store so I got what I could get because it needed the change asap, so have you tried the light viscosity or know much about it in these transmissions?
    The multivehicle atf is too thin for these transmissions...so the light viscosity is even thinner. It will be okay until it gets about 60 degrees out then you will start getting notchy shifts.

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3
    Ok found out that my 4cylinder uses SAF-XO (75w-90) for Open Diffs.

So which Amsoil should I use for my diff?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast