Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil MTF WOW (new)

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT

Amsoil MTF WOW (new)

Since the old thread is having problems loading for some people I will start this one. It has also come to my attention that there is a lot of mis-information out there about the Amsoil MTF Sooo I will try to clear that all up here as well.

Original thread starter Jeff, AKA rocknroad.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroad View Post
    When I got my roady the shifting was pretty notchy and difficult to get into gear smoothly - always felt like I was churning gravel with an iron bar.

SO i researched and finally decided to change the lifetime mtf with RedlineD4atf. I was expecting something good from this. No.

6000 miles later and virtually no difference in the notchy/difficult shifting I drained out the Redline, which was already black and thin as water.

After previously talking to 2kredz3 about Amsoil, he ordered me some and swapped it out.
    He told me to give it a thousand miles or so before the full benefit would be realized....it was more like a thousand feet.

took the roady out for a test drive in which I really didn't expect much since I didnt believe a fluid could really do so much you could actually "feel" any significant difference but the difference was felt immediately!

Shifting is extremely smooth and almost effortless. So much in fact that shifting is so quick now I spun the wheels shifting into 3rd gear at 60mph!! holy crap! that's a first for 3rd! The 2nd>3rd shift was previously the most difficult to do smoothly and usually required double-clutching.

Getting into reverse and 5th previously took some serious effort with precarious wrist torque but now engages as easy as the other gears. It feels like a new tranny and isn't even at it's prime operating point even cold shifting is greatly improved.

Can't wait to see how much better it gets. This is one of the better choices I've made.

Things you need to know:

Fluid capacity: 2 US quarts

Fluid type: Amsoil 5w30 Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid ~or~ Amsoil 75w90 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear lube.

Whats the difference?

Amsoil 5w30 Manual Synchromesh Transmission fluid: This fluid is for the owner who does some light track or autocross events. Drives their car mostly on the street or even daily and does not have forced induction. You can purchase here

Amsoil 75w90 Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube: This fluid is for the owner who races their car regularly or runs autocross competitions. All forced induction applications or other high horsepower applications. Owners who live in extreme climates such as Texas that do not get below 40 degrees and have temps that near 110 and above. You can purchase here

How can I get it:

You can contact me VIA e-mail or through Private message. Also you can purchase from the webstore by following the links above.

Pentosin MTF-LT-2 (75w80 GL4 gear Lube) --> http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_MTF-2.pdf

Kv @ 40c = 38.3
    Kv @ 100c = 7.7

Amsoil Universal ATF (New Formula)

Kv @ 40c = 38.5
    Kv @ 100c = 7.5

Redline D4 ATF
    Kv @ 40c = 34
    Kv @ 100c = 7.5

Redline MTL GL4
    Kv @ 40c = 54.1
    Kv @ 100c = 10.4

Royal Purple Synchromax
    Kv @ 40c = 38
    KV @ 100c = 7.7

Royal Purple ATF
    Kv @ 40c = 35
    Kv @ 100c = 7.5

Amsoil 5w30 Synchromesh

Kv @ 40c = 48.3
    Kv @ 100c = 9.7

Amsoil 75w90 GL4 Gear Lube (Manual transaxle and Transmission Lube)

Kv @ 40c = 87.6
    Kv @ 100c = 13.9

Amsoil 75w90 Gear Lube GL5

Kv @ 40c = 109
    Kv @ 100c = 16.8
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 07-24-2017 at 11:01 AM.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Nice job... should have titled it AMSOIL MTF WOW... the FAQ!!!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    There is still a lot more info i need to put into this thread ...i will keep working on it :-)

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    How is this for an auto gear box? (noob when it comes to transmissions etc) so if this is a dumb questions I'm sorry!

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    What gave the other thread so much credibility was all the testimonials, should we repost them here?

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by GB5416 View Post
    What gave the other thread so much credibility was all the testimonials, should we repost them here?
    Yes please :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4PotZ3 View Post
    How is this for an auto gear box? (noob when it comes to transmissions etc) so if this is a dumb questions I'm sorry!
    No, but amsoil does have atf for your trans.... I need to update this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...utomatic+trans

But you can get the idea.
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 11-12-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe/2001 330i
    People should know that AmSoil has been making synthetic oil so long that they make it right. As a matter of fact Amsoil was the very first company to make synthetic oil(I believe they started making it in the 60's) way before it was cool!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFLBimmer View Post
    People should know that AmSoil has been making synthetic oil so long that they make it right. As a matter of fact Amsoil was the very first company to make synthetic oil(I believe they started making it in the 60's) way before it was cool!

Here is the story:

As a jet fighter squadron commander LIEUTENANT COLONEL ALBERT J. AMATUZIO had ample opportunity to witness synthetic lubricants in action. These oils are used exclusively in jet engines because of three extraordinary performance characteristics: an ability to reduce friction and wear on engine components, an ability to function dependably at severe temperature extremes and an ability to withstand rigorous and lengthy engine operation without chemical breakdown.
    Recognizing that these same benefits would prove invaluable in combustion engines, Al Amatuzio formulated the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet API service requirements for automobile engines. The new lubricant performed like no other before it. When the first can of AMSOIL 10W-40 appeared on the market in 1972, it signaled the birth of an entire industry. AMSOIL synthetic lubricants have expanded the boundaries of lubrication science and redefined the performance possibilities of modern machinery and engines.
    AMSOIL INC. was founded on Al Amatuzio’s desire for technical innovation, his commitment to high quality and his belief that consumers would respond to a superior product. The company has remained true to these ideals; its history is a checklist of revolutionary products that have withstood the tests of time. As the pioneer corporation in the field of synthetic lubrication, AMSOIL sees its Commitment to Excellence as a historical responsibility, and A.J. Amatuzio’s energy and vision continue to drive the company forward. ...inspired by aerospace technology
    Al Amatuzio's induction to the Lubricants World Hall of Fame is the ultimate tribute to the man who started it all. He is firmly established among the giants who have shaped the industry. Al Amatuzio's desire for technical innovation, his commitment to higher quality and his belief that consumers respond to superior products remain the core of the AMSOIL philosophy.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    So it could have been called Amatuzioil. Thanks for the history.

My Cars
    02 m 367 & 99 m 368
    Here's my old post, it was actually in the thread that Cali started on the same subject.

I changed the trans fluid in the coupe a few months ago. I did it more as preventative maintenance, the tranny had had the standard notchiness but no sticking. I noticed an improvement, just enough to say it's wasn't a placebo affect.

I got around to changing the roadster fluid this weekend, this tranny was my problem child. It felt cumbersome shifting into any gear and was very difficult getting into first when it was warmed up. I've only put 50 miles on it and it feels like a new transmission. I don't have to be as heavy handed in any gear. Getting into first is not perfect but not at all a challange either. The result is amazing for something as simple as a fluid change.
    As an update, 8 months later, I would describe my roadster tranny as completely problem free.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    My story is pretty simple. When I got my Roady with very low miles on it, the 3rd to 4th shift was sometimes not completely smooth- it occasionally felt like a very, very slight grind going into fourth. I ordered up some Amsoil from 2kredz3 and the problem is entirely gone.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    So what do you recommend for someone who lives in California and regularly tracks their car?

I see temperatures of 28-30ş in the mornings at a couple of events a year, and other times of the year, I'll be in 110ş weather.

I do enough events where I should probably just do a winter fill, but I'll also see 75ş days in the winter where my tranny does need the extra protection at higher speed tracks where the average speed is around 90mph.

The only time the car really sees public roads is to and from the track.
    Last edited by LAWLence; 11-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Mcoupe estoril blue
    This week did the MTF 5w-30 for the trans and 75w140 for the rear diff. Shifting was immediately improved. Before had the most trouble with 1st and 2nd. Hoping it keeps getting better.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I am a believer, 100%. Shifts better than the Royal Purple that I was previously running.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I've run Amsoil for 3 years in the M. Absolutely love it, never had a problem. Going to put the third change in before winter this year.

My wife's Subaru calls for basic gear lube (75w90 I believe). Even the local dealership said to use that. Well, it sucked. At temps below 40* it was very difficult shifting, even with fresh fluid. Even at warmer temps, the shifting was very rough before the fluid warmed. I recently switched to Amsoil and it has been an amazing improvement. Even my wife remarked how much better it is (unprovoked).

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
    So what do you recommend for someone who lives in California and regularly tracks their car?

I see temperatures of 28-30ş in the mornings at a couple of events a year, and other times of the year, I'll be in 110ş weather.

I do enough events where I should probably just do a winter fill, but I'll also see 75ş days in the winter where my tranny does need the extra protection at higher speed tracks where the average speed is around 90mph.

The only time the car really sees public roads is to and from the track.
    The thicker fluid will be perfect for you. I run it in my car year round, might be a little notchy when cold but warms up fast and will be smooth :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    I've run Amsoil for 3 years in the M. Absolutely love it, never had a problem. Going to put the third change in before winter this year.

My wife's Subaru calls for basic gear lube (75w90 I believe). Even the local dealership said to use that. Well, it sucked. At temps below 40* it was very difficult shifting, even with fresh fluid. Even at warmer temps, the shifting was very rough before the fluid warmed. I recently switched to Amsoil and it has been an amazing improvement. Even my wife remarked how much better it is (unprovoked).
    I was wondering how it did in the subbi, good feedback :-)
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 11-12-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    ^^ Yea, sorry I never got back to you about it. It was an INCREDIBLE change... way more noticeable than in the M, but I think the M had a synthetic from factory ().

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    ^^ Yea, sorry I never got back to you about it. It was an INCREDIBLE change... way more noticeable than in the M, but I think the M had a synthetic from factory ().
    Ya, factory fill on m is synthetic. Thats awesome :-) pass my contact info to the subbi guys i would like to branch out some :-)

My Cars
    AT-AT

Thumbs up

Being a Redline guy for the longest, I've always been an Amsoil skeptic. Having tried Royal purple (sticky when hot, stiff when cold) a long time ago I figured why not try Amsoil. Robrez and I ordered a batch couple months back. At first I didn't feel much of a difference, but after cycling through the gears for a couple of miles I was all smiles. I'm going on a long road trip...well see how it holds up. I'll keep you guys posted. Oh and thanks for hooking is up here in Cali, Kelly
    Last edited by Ian 2.0; 12-17-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Amsoil MTF is too thick for cold climates. It is significantly thicker than the stock BMW "lifetime" fluid.

Royal Purple Synchromax is closer to the stock fluid. BMW also accepts Dex III as an acceptable fluid.

No question that Amsoil makes great fluids but the thickness of MTF aggravated shift pin issues in my tranny at cool temperatures (10C or lower). It is fine for warm weather and might be ok in the cold if you don't have any shift pin issues.

I have tried the stock fluid, M1 Dex III, Amsoil MTF, Dex VI and RP Synchromax and I have experienced the best shift quality with the Royal Purple over a wide range of temperatures.

Amsoil MTF

Vicosity at 40C = 47.1 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 9.6 cSt
    Pour point = -45C

RP Synchromax

Vicosity at 40C = 38 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 7.7 cSt
    Pour point = -54C

Dex III (Mobil 1 ATF Specs)

Vicosity at 40C = 36.3 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 7.4 cSt
    Pour point = -51C

Pentosin MTF 75W80 (meets BMW MTF-LT-2)

Vicosity at 40C = 38.3 cSt
    Pour point = -60C

BMW MTF-LT-1 (Stock Original Fluid)

Vicosity at 40C = 37.5 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 7.5 cSt

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=706459

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/synchromax-ps.pdf

http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...nto_MTF2_2.pdf
    Last edited by mva; 12-17-2011 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian 2.0 View Post
    Being a Redline guy for the longest, I've always been an Amsoil skeptic. Having tried Royal purple (sticky when hot, stiff when cold) a long time ago I figured why not try Amsoil. Robrez and I ordered a batch couple months back. At first I didn't feel much of a difference, but after cycling through the gears for a couple of miles I was all smiles. I'm going on a long road trip...well see how it holds up. I'll keep you guys posted. Oh and thanks for hooking is up here in Cali, Kelly
    glad you all like it!

Quote Originally Posted by mva View Post
    Amsoil MTF is too thick for cold climates. It is significantly thicker than the stock BMW "lifetime" fluid.

Royal Purple Synchromax is closer to the stock fluid. BMW also accepts Dex III as an acceptable fluid.

No question that Amsoil makes great fluids but the thickness of MTF aggravated shift pin issues in my tranny at cool temperatures (10C or lower). It is fine for warm weather and might be ok in the cold if you don't have any shift pin issues.

I have tried the stock fluid, M1 Dex III, Amsoil MTF, Dex VI and RP Synchromax and I have experienced the best shift quality with the Royal Purple over a wide range of temperatures.

Amsoil MTF

Vicosity at 40C = 47.1 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 9.6 cSt
    Pour point = -45C

RP Synchromax

Vicosity at 40C = 38 cSt
    Pour point = -54C

Dex III (Mobil 1 ATF Specs)

Vicosity at 40C = 36.3 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 7.4 cSt
    Pour point = -51C

Pentosin MTF 75W80 (meets BMW MTF-LT-2)

Vicosity at 40C = 38.3 cSt
    Pour point = -60C

BMW MTF-LT-1 (Stock Original Fluid)

Vicosity at 40C = 37.5 cSt
    Viscosity at 100C = 7.5 cSt

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=706459

http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/synchromax-ps.pdf

http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...nto_MTF2_2.pdf
    You should try amsoil multi-vehicle atf for your application. Most people who are buying mtf from me never see temps as low as your describing...and even when they do with in a few miles the trans is warm enough that you can't tell a difference. Like you, i have done extensive testing :-)

Specs for atf:

Viscosity @ 100c - 7.6
    Viscosity @ 40c. - 38.9
    Last edited by 2kredz3; 12-17-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    z3
    I used BMW MTF LT2 to change my transmission fluid, but its still a little notchy and not ideal.

I live in Arizona with extreme temperatures, do you think the 75w90 would work for me?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    I used BMW MTF LT2 to change my transmission fluid, but its still a little notchy and not ideal.

I live in Arizona with extreme temperatures, do you think the 75w90 would work for me?
    Yes, you will like the thicker 75w90. Make sure it is the mtf 75w90 not the gear oil.

My Cars
    E36 Stancer Dancer
    I live in South Florida where temps drop to the 30's and go as high as the 100's. This is for my 318ti that has a M52 swap plus a Z3 m coupe zf transmission. The car will mainly be used for autocrossing but also be driven to work and around town from time to time. Would the 5w30 be better for me or should I just run the 75w90? What do you think I should run in the diff?

Also PM me a price for 2 Qts of what you recommend and also a price for 2 QT's of the diff fluid.

Thanks mate!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    So here has to be the dumbest question ever asked but I still have to ask it. Has anyone ever used one quart of 5-30 and one quart of 75-90 at the same time? Would it be like running a multi -multi weight 5-30-75-90 and have the best of both oils or would they not mix and make bad things happen.

Forgot. Sorry. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid people who ask questions.
    Last edited by Wertles; 12-18-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast