Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E36 M3 vs. E46 M3

My Cars
    325i, 3 pedals
    Completely different animals. E46 M is heavier, bulkier and just feels like more of a car with the extra power.

If your budget is strapped, you could look into an E36 M3 and S/C it. It could be a great track car.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I'll make it real easy.

E36, lighter, less power
    E46, heavier, more power

Both cars behave similarly. The E46 is more plush and there are nicer examples out there. They also cost a lot more to maintain than the E36.

After owning both, I prefer the E36

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    So much misinformation in this thread.

1. Valve adjustments is not a dealer only service. In fact, many forum members do valve adjustments for other members. It's cheap ($200), and done every 30k miles. If you're complaining about valve adjustments, you shouldn't own an M3.

2. The E46 M3 is a DIYer car. Just a tad bit more complex than the e36, but nothing too bad either. Other than the water pump, all the other parts on the car are fairly reasonably priced.

3. Yes, the e46 M3 is heavier. But the S54 is a marvelous engine that makes you forget the rest. As C&D said in one of their articles in 2000, "we [North America] finally get the powerful one from Europe"

4. The creature comforts found in the E46 M3 are non-existant in the E36. Steering wheel controls, Navigation, Bluetooth, Garage door opener, Memory seat etc etc make driving much more comfortable.

5. Looks. Yes, this is a subjective topic. I think the E36 M3 looks great. But the E46 is straight sexy. The car is beautiful. When I had my E36 M3, girls/friends that aren't into cars couldn't tell the difference between my M3 and a regular 3 series. Everytime my girlfriend saw a e36 3 series white car, she would scream "Hey that's your car". Same reactions from friends. The E46 M3 is distinct. It doesn't look like your average 3 series. Flared fenders, quad exhaust, side gills, hood bulge clearly define the E46 M3.

There's no doubt in my mind the E46 M3 is superior in almost every way to the E36 M3. I've owned both and both are great cars. The E36 M3 has it's pros, and it's a car that I love. But if your budget allows, go with the E46.
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

My Cars
    e36 318i, e36 328is
    I drive an e36 non-m (alittle biased) and have driven the e46 non-m as well. If your looking for top end power and luxury, go for the e46 m3. I like the e36's because of the feel of driven them. I just know that the e46 m3's may feel heavier and I can always throw a s/c on the car for some more power down the road but I just can't enjoy the twisties in an e46 like I do in the e36. That is my opinion, you make the decision about what car YOU want. I am pretty sure none of us will be DD your car so you get what fits your needs and wants. I like the feeling of an e36 when I go in a turn. Ill get an m5 or something if I want something or the straights haha

My Cars
    '99 540i/6, '94 ZJ
    If I read correctly, it's for your wife? 318i all the way...

My Cars
    95' M3
    I've had both and the E36 M3 feels like a track car that is streetable and the E46 feels like a street car that is trackable. I find the E36 M3 more satisfying but the E46 is a far better DD.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 318i
    i drive an e36 318i, i have always loved the squareness of the e36's i personally think they look better...that being said i would love to have 330 horses from the e46 so i would say its just a personal decision, go with what you like, go test drive a couple of each and make your decision that way because there are going to be pros and cons with each car but get the one you like..........personally i think an e36 with an e46 motor would be my dream car.

My Cars
    '22 X3
    They are totally different cars that don't compare.

Experience: Own E36 M3 and have driven the E46 M3 quite frequently.

My Cars
    97 332iS
    Comparing a ~$15,000 car to a ~$6,000 car?

All righty then. The only use I see for an e46M is crossing long distances at speed. Like, Nevada.
    That is, it seems more of a Grand Tourer than a sports car.

I would rather have an e36M for urban duty and <55mph secondary roads; it's more nimble and has better sight lines.

For me, this is a big reason to avoid the e46m:
    4. The creature comforts found in the E46 M3 are non-existant in the E36. Steering wheel controls, Navigation, Bluetooth, Garage door opener, Memory seat etc etc make driving much more comfortable.

My Cars
    Several M3`s
    For all you guys in the states there is quite a difference between the E36 & the E46, you do not have the individual throttle bodies etc.

I couldnt believe the power of your M3`s when I just read that.... 240 bhp..... Ouch.....

I do not claim to know much about the US versions, but the engine look like our equivalent 325,328 engines.

In the uk our E36 M3 comes in 2 different models

up to 1995/6 it had a 3.0 litre 286 bhp engine

up to 1999 it had a 3,2 litre 321 bhp engine

Bearing in mind the uk E46 had 343 bhp, it wasnt a million miles away from our E36`s

There is no doubting that the E46 may be more comfortable & luxurious than the E36, but in my opinion the E36 will always win. Mainly because as a lad at school I always wanted one, so as soon as I passed my test in 2003, I bought 2 of them lol..... I have had about 20 in total & currently have a few in storage.

In my opinion they are the nicest cars on the road, and I wouldnt change any of mine for anything.

E36 all they

If any of you get the chance, import the UK version, they are a differnt car altogether.

My Cars
    e46 m3 / turbo brick
    I really hate to bring up this forum for being almost a year but...

First off comparing a US e36 to an e46 is a bit lopsided considering the 46 costs almost twice as much. If your comparing cars you have to keep similar price bracket.. Otherwise grab a cheap car and mod it to the 9's and take both. A euro e36 is going to give an e46 all it can handle interns of going fast and corners while feeling more involved ( unless you get the 46 on a diet) and is going to be competitive in terms of price.. Or you can get an e30m with a swap and have something truly special.. But way more expensive again

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi
    e36 are cheaper to maintain but older too. you have to take that into account. a e46 might last longer and even retain more value. your choice either way.

My Cars
    e46 m3 2004
    Hello all. I am new here. I own 2004 E46 M3. I love that car so much. It is really great machine. But, I love E36 more, i dont know why. I would love to find one in great condition and buy it.

My Cars
    '09 135i
    the real e36 m3 with the b30/32
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Coupe; 1M, 135i
    I wouldn't buy either of these cars if the choice was an expensive garage queen that I wanted to drive and hoped to recover my investment in later. I looked at both of these M3 Series over many months on all the online sales venues and I have never seen a more dysfunctional used car marketplace. The sellers think that their particular cars are worth about 1.5X what the buyers are willing to pay. As a result, you can't unload one of these things without a very major wallet biopsy. These cars just sit and sit and sit on the sales sites, and they do not sell.

If what you want is the fun of driving one of these cars, then find a well maintained one with lots of miles on it and just drive the wheels off it. From the standpoint of collecting, however, I'd steer clear of these things, both of them.
    Last edited by champignon; 06-24-2015 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    '09 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by champignon View Post
    I wouldn't buy either of these cars if the choice was an expensive garage queen that I wanted to drive and hoped to recover my investment in later. I looked at both of these M3 Series over many months on all the online sales venues and I have never seen a more dysfunctional used car marketplace. The sellers think that their particular cars are worth about 1.5X what the buyers are willing to pay. As a result, you can't unload one of these things without a very major wallet biopsy. These cars just sit and sit and sit on the sales sites, and they do not sell.

If what you want is the fun of driving one of these cars, then find a well maintained one with lots of miles on it and just drive the wheels off it. From the standpoint of collecting, however, I'd steer clear of these things, both of them.
    Yes, I agree. Especially with e46 owners. I don't think a 15 year old car with 130,000 miles is worth 25k. You can pick up e36 m3 automatics all day for 3 grand or less though.
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    F10
    E36 is the poor mans M3

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sg5 View Post
    E36 is the poor mans M3
    You are an idiot.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    E36 m3, E36 318ti
    E36 any day,
    Its better, as in looking wise and performance wise, its also very comfortable and powerful and mean looking and its more popular in america and out of it and its better when it comes to modifications

- - - Updated - - -

This just shows how uneducated about cars you are,
    Its really bad that theres people pike you on this forum
    E36 any day,
    Its better, as in looking wise and performance wise, its also very comfortable and powerful and mean looking and its more popular in america and out of it and its better when it comes to modifications

- - - Updated - - -

The e30 is an excelent car but
    E36 any day,

- - - Updated - - -

E36 any day,
    Its better, as in looking wise and performance wise, its also very comfortable and powerful and mean looking and its more popular in america and out of it and its better when it comes to modifications too

- - - Updated - - -

The e36 is the best 3 series you could find

- - - Updated - - -

E36 any day,
    Its better, as in looking wise and performance wise, its also very comfortable and powerful and mean looking and its more popular in america and out of it and its better when it comes to modifications too

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    E36 is an 18-25 year old car that is falling apart and will be needing a lot of work. E46 would be my choice today but I'd also be tempted to skip to a 135i or 335i or maybe even an E9xM3 if the budget allowed.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    I have both, an 03' e46 m3 & a 98 e36 m3. E46 will be faster around a track, no questions asked, but its nice to utilize the e36 as the rainy day track car and as a DD as you do not feel- as- bad to not warm it up thoroughly before driving off.Nov-27-2021-Speed SF (Sat)-Blue Group-Session 3 (Corkscrew)-LS1_3519_Nov2721_252PM_CaliPhoto.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-16 at 11.52.56 PM.png">

My Cars
    2002 M3, 2008 Z4M Coupe
    Have owned both, still have E46. E36 has been in family since day one, currently has a third generation owner. E46 is my wifes, SMG convertible car, Imola Red. Also, been in family since day one.

E36 is an early 95 Dakar yellow. Usual bolt ons, CAI, exhaust, TMS chip, bilsteins, H&R reds. Great driver car. No nanny controls (other than ABS), wired throttle body, thoroughly enjoyed. Sold to son to buy a Z4M coupe. Everytime I get back in the driver's seat of that car, it just feels right. I am sure its the combo of everything that has been done to her, but its like a glove. Not superfast, but fast enough. I personally put 200k on that car mostly as a daily driver, original clutch, engine never opened. You may think it was babied, but on the contrary, these cars need to be run regularly. Obviously maintained well, garage kept entire life. Just the usual maintenance items, which I mostly stayed ahead of. BTW, I firmly believe in wrenching yourself, so many resources available now. Just need the space and tools.

E46 on other hand, is bone stock. Regularly maintained, only a recently solved misfire issue has spoiled our 10 years of ownership. Still don't understand what fixed it (see my thread), but its fixed. 137k on it, and yes, its an SMG car. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it is my wifes...primarily. No doubt it is faster than the e36, but not a whole lot. I am sure it would be more of a gap if it weren't for the 500 lbs or so the convertible adds. Daily drove this into DC for about 2 years off and on, always a great commuter. You feel the weight in this car, again, probably because of the soft top.

Bottom line, both are great. Don't be afraid of miles, provided it has been maintained well (it will show). E46 will set you back more, and parts are more expensive, but not crazy. E36 is starting to creep up in price, but good ones are out there.

Good luck, don't think there is a loser here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12