RM European Auto Parts

Thread: F10 Differential Fluid Change

F10 Differential Fluid Change

Does anyone know the procedure to changing the differential fluid and transmission fluid in a 2011 535i?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Why would you, take the car to the dealership where it will be done for free.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

Would the differential fluid change be part of the first service by the dealer?

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    nope. trans neither unless its a manual.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    '06 E60 M5, '17 VW Golf
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeng986 View Post
    Does anyone know the procedure to changing the differential fluid and transmission fluid in a 2011 535i?
    If I remember right, there is no drain plug on the differential, its lifetime fluid. Same for the transmission (if its an auto). Fluid is extremely expensive on these cars.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Just out of curiosity, why are you changing the fluids, high mileage? The fluid changes are not done for free unless its part of an M car still under service. $80/litre for trans fluid. Of all the service problems we encounter its very rare to have a trans fail even at pretty high mileages and the only problem with diffs was a short production run of F10s with a bad weld in a ring gear. The oil in the transfer cases is a service item, VTG oil.

I just finished the break in miles and thought it would be a good idea to change all the fluids since there may be metal shavings in the fluid which might lessen the service life of the transmission and differential. When BMW says that these are "lifetime" fluids, a question comes to my mind. Don't all oils and hydraulic fluids break down over time? The other car manufacturers recommend changing of these fluids on their maintenance program.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeng986 View Post
    Don't all oils and hydraulic fluids break down over time? The other car manufacturers recommend changing of these fluids on their maintenance program.
    Yeah, they do. But so does everything. Transmission failure is inevitable in all cars. The only question is whether changing the oil will postpone failure. The answer to that question so far has been inconclusive.

I think both sides of the argument have merit. Bad fluid with shavings floating around doesn't seem to be a good thing. And dislodging sediments that can make their way to other parts of the tranmission and cause damage doesn't seem too good either. I've personally never tried changing ATF because I was fearful of messing up the pressure required for the tranny to operate properly. My understanding of automatic transmissions is that they change gears based on the pressure of the fluid. If you add too much or too little fluid when changing it, I could see how that might affect performance and cause slippage. That's just my speculation and I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable drivers on this Board to dissect.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    The reason for not changing the trans fluid in a high mileage a/t is the detergents in ATF will wash the remaing material off the clutches, I've seen cars (not bimmers) that drove in but wouldn't drive out after a trans flush and fill. Generally on an older trans if you need to drop the pan you save the old ATF to refill. There are magnets in the bottom of the trans pan on bimmers that collect any metal. You might want to change you engine oil every 7500 miles, but other than that I wouldn't worry. When I started out as a tech: there wasn't synthetic oil, cars ran at 7% co, the fuel wasn't as clean and yes BMW did break-in oils at 600miles, engine, manual trans and rear,the a/t was on a supposed 25k interval but most people ignored that, they also did an oil service at 6500miles and a major service that included spark plugs at 13,000. Spark plugs now go between 45k and 100k between changes. Also we adjusted the valves and torqued the head on PDI' and at 600 miles. Say what you will but for the performance and the fuel economy and reduction in pollutants these cars are truly amazing.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i xdrive
    Hi all,

Yesterday started my 2012 BMW 528i xdrive oil change, It take a while for me to jack up the the whole car, I now confident do it now. Started with front diff oil, the clearance is small, only got to 2 inch, so I use EZ Red WC100 Wrench Connection Set Metric 6 Piece Low Profile, 14/15 mm one, and 15 mm wrench, use a big pipe to loosen it, I am so happy for these tool, and then i moved to transfer case oil, it only has smaller space, even use the ez red 14/15 mm, still can't get it loose, so I end up take the case out, and get it loose, and (with my car, the transfer case and real diff only has one fill plugs.), when I opened the transfer case fluid fill plug, only drop little oil, by the way my car is 4 years old, overall the oil color is not bad, and then I use hand pump get the oil out of fill hole, not much only may be 50ML or 100ml, not sure, but when I pumped the new old back to fill hole, about the same. That is the only I am concern. according to dealer, it has 1 Lit. Anyone can comment on this. so guess I didn't full changed the oil, the other two oil, i will be able to take about 500ML out. I am happy about that.

i am concern didn't get much transfer case fluid out, have you experience that? also with my 2012 528i xdrive, when removed the bolts from the case, it has rubber attach to the transfer case box, just wondering is this bracket is just use as holding tight with the car body, I have difficulty to put back so end up I have to use floor jack , jack it to the body of the car. Hope I didn't break anything.

Now i kept think about what did I wrong, may be after I drive around the neighborhood block to warm up the fluids, but the problems the time to take to jack up the car, change the front diff, and then real diff and then Transfer case with issue can't loose the fill (only has fill plug), may be the fluid is cold, can't even pump any more fluids. but on the other hand doesnt make any sense. That is really bother me, didnt finish the job....hope anyone can point to me the direction, my is 2012 BMW 528i xdrive, there is not a lot of post about transfer case fluid change with my type of car. May be something I didnt know???

Thanks

Frank