My Cars
    318ti; 528it

'07 X5 won't start in the mornings.

So my buddy is working on this car and ask me if I could seek any knowledge out of you guys. So here is the problem:

The car starts up and runs great at any point in the day

There is a new battery, the fuel pressure has been checked and there is no CEL on

In the mornings after it has set over night it will not start, if you let it sit for like an hour it start up fine.

This has also started happening more frequently now that's gotten colder.

The car is located in Biloxi, MS so the moisture could possibly be an issue.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing the problem?
    Thank you for any help
    Last edited by theczechone; 11-04-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    - 95 540i/6 ... RIP
    - 98 318ti/5 - daily
    - 99 528it/A - family wagon
    - 71 240z - project/headache

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    After sitting all night it will not start?
    OK this means that it will crank but not start? It will crank for a while then eventually start?
    Need more specific details.
    The fuel pressure needs to be checked before starting and before putting the key in the ignition.
    Or an alternative to checking if this is a fuel pressure problem (like a bleeding injector or furel pressure regulator failing or worse yet fuel pump failing) is to turn the key to position 2 and wait maybe 5-10 seconds. Then try and start the X. I suspect that it is still a fuel pressure issue...

My Cars
    318ti; 528it
    Yes that's correct it will not start after sitting all night.

The engine turns over but doesn't start, even if cranking for a while

The fuel pressure has been checked. I don't understand why there wouldn't be sufficient fuel pressure at time x and than an hour later there would be...

either way thanks for the inputs
    - 95 540i/6 ... RIP
    - 98 318ti/5 - daily

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Poss. cause.
    SI B16 10 10
    Fuel Supply Systems
    December 2010
    Technical Service
    PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES BEFORE CUSTOMER DELIVERY OR THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.
    Under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, as amended, if there has been a recall campaign, dealers must assure that all new vehicles and new items of replacement equipment are free of safety defects and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards at the time of delivery to the consumer. This means that dealers may not deliver new motor vehicles or new items of replacement equipment to consumers unless the safety defect or noncompliance has been remedied before delivery.
    SUBJECT
    Recall Campaign 10V-518: E70 N52K Replace Electric Fuel Delivery Unit
    MODEL
    E70 (X5) with N52K engine produced from November 1st, 2007 up to August 31th, 2008
    SITUATION
    Due to a manufacturing process error, the electric fuel pump was not produced to specifications. The premature wear of the pump's commutator/brushes may cause a fuel pump failure. The engine may stall during driving, and restarting would not be possible.
    AFFECTED VEHICLES
    This Recall Campaign involves E70 X5 3.0si vehicles with N52K engines which were produced from 11/01/2007 up to 08/31/2008.
    In order to determine whether a specific vehicle has had this Recall Campaign completed or is affected by this Recall Campaign, first check the B-pillar label for code number 581. If code number 581 has been punched out, the campaign has already been performed. If code number 581 has not been punched out, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.
    CORRECTION
    Replace the Fuel Delivery Unit (P/N 16 11 7 295 459). Follow Repair Instruction REP16 14 010 (Replace electric fuel pump).

PARTS INFORMATION
    LABEL INSTRUCTIONS
    This Recall Campaign has been assigned code number 581. After the vehicle has been checked and/or corrected, obtain a label (SD 92-380) and:
    A. Emboss your BMW center

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    You can check with BMW but NOV 2007 means a 2008 model not 2007 model so not sure if it applies.
    You never answered my question of when the fuel pressure was checked.
    If it was checked after starting and running then the pressure has not bleed down. I suggested to you multiple possible causes.
    The only way you know if you have a fuel pressure problem if to get it checked before you start the engine after it sits at night.
    Low pressure after sitting all night will cause long cranking plain and simple. Once started throughout the day it has not bled off enough to cause starting issues...

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    As I do work for BMW and know PDs, it still has the same pump, and we have had many failures. Fuel pressure guage should be hooked up overnite and started up in AM and see if you have pressure.

My Cars
    318ti; 528it
    Sorry for not replying for a while,
    so one thing I forgot to mention is that it's a 4.4L not the 3.0. Further more you guys were right and it's a fuel delivery problem.
    So when trying to start it in the morning the fuel pump does not come on, and later on in the day when it does, it has good pressure.
    Would this be related to the controls for a fuel pump, or maybe a short in the fuel pump?
    Would rather like to figure this out than take out the fuel pump to test it. Either way I think my friend is kind of loosing the patience with this car and is just going to take it to the stealer on monday, but any input is still very much welcomed
    - 95 540i/6 ... RIP
    - 98 318ti/5 - daily

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    would be interesting to hear what the repair was for this all these years later. theczechone can you update?