Thread: Front Axle Halfshaft Vibration?

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon

Front Axle Halfshaft Vibration?

Front end started vibrating pretty bad a month ago. However, this only happens after a lengthly drive of about 20-30 minutes. Does not present itself in a short drive unless I hit 40-50 mph, and only then its slight. But if i drive it for longer than 20-30 minutes it starts shaking pretty bad. Is it temp related?

After reading every post i could find on this site and others, I concluded that its the left halfshaft axle. What further convinces me is that I brought the car to the indy shop and they put it on a lift and put the wheels in gear. The left front wheel started making a clicking noise and had a slight wobbly look to it. No grease was coming out of the boot, and the boots looked fine. The suspension was tight and bushings where in fair condition. Wheel was pulled in 6/12 9/3 positions with zero play.

I suggested to the mechanic that the axle needed replacement and that the grease in the CV joint is either dried up or expended, and that I could inject some new grease or replace the axle. Mechanic said, definitly not the axle Ive been doing this for 30 years blah blah blah. I dont have the experience he has, but i have trouble beliveing his diagnosis after reading all the posts on here that describe my problem.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement axle (OEM) and found another indy shop willing to install it for 90$. Cheap huh!?? Fingers crossed I hope im right.

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    Judging by your explaination, Its the axle.. I just replaced both my front and the vibration went away. I was also told by someone its not the axle. luckily my friends a good mechanic and knew exactly what it was after one ride in it... when the inner cv wears out it will vibrate bad at highway speeds. when I got my car the owner had just replaced the cv joint last year.. it still had the bmw sticker on it and looked almost new. I took it apart and the three bearings in the inner cv were rusted with almost no lubrication... if you get a new bmw unit make sure you add grease.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by 92rslt1 View Post
    if you get a new bmw unit make sure you add grease.
    Its not already packed with grease? if not this is a good heads up.

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    Not very much in them at all! It was only a year old when i took it off and it was dry, the boot was not ripped. The outer was packed still, but the inner was dry and thick and the bearings were shot.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    Not very much in them at all! It was only a year old when i took it off and it was dry, the boot was not ripped. The outer was packed still, but the inner was dry and thick and the bearings were shot.
    what kind of grease did you use? also how long have you had your new axles?

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    I have had them in since about march. They are holding up great. I think I got the cv/axle grease at the local auto store. I will have to check in my garage to be sure.

My Cars
    E46 325xi
    Dry CV joints (almost always the inners) are the cause of vibration on acceleration with our Xis after an extended time driving. If you catch it early enough you can just repack and be on your way. But if left dry for too long its a whole new axle, as in your case.

As you have found out--the boot does not need to be torn to cause this issue. What happens is that the inner clamps on the inner joint loosen over time and allow the grease to escape. Keep an eye on it and if you start to see grease around the end of the boot its time for a new clamp.

I got so fed up with the OE clamps loosening over time I put these on both inner joints:

Just regular hose clamps. Cant remember the size but they have been on there a year now with no issues. And the most important part no more leaking grease.
    Last edited by GCoop; 11-07-2011 at 08:59 AM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    I didn't see any grease leaking from the boots, however in a few threads i read that the grease turned into what looked like, "melted ice cream" when the boot was removed. BUT, I did give the car an oil change 2 weeks ago. When I removed the splash guards there was oil all over the oil pan and inside the splash guard. It looked like engine oil. So i may have another problem on my hands, but now i'm hoping its grease that oozed out from the inner boot where I can't see.

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    E46 325xi
    The OE "grease" on the inners is more of a liquid than a gooey grease like what you would expect to see in a grease gun..

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    How is heat related? Friction and expansion of the cv metals? Because like stated in my OP it begins after the car has been driven for more than 3 or 4 miles, and progressivly gets worse the longer i drive it. But on a cold start the vibration is minimal under load.

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by markho View Post
    How is heat related? Friction and expansion of the cv metals? Because like stated in my OP it begins after the car has been driven for more than 3 or 4 miles, and progressivly gets worse the longer i drive it. But on a cold start the vibration is minimal under load.
    The bearings start to sieze since there is no grease and they just wable around in it, thats what makes it shake so bad. The longer and faster you drive it the more heat and friction is produced the more it will do it. when you get the old one off, pull it apart you will see 3 wheel looking bearings.. they will be most likely siezed up and dry or even rusty.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    Following up on my post:

purchased OEM left front axle from pelican parts. received in 3 days. 300$ Local shop installed for 90$. Totally fixed the issue. I went back to the mechanics who didn't believe my internet based myths and told them in so many words to shove it.

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    2001 325xi
    Following up on my post:

purchased OEM left front axle from pelican parts. received in 3 days. 300$ Local shop installed for 90$. Totally fixed the issue. I went back to the mechanics who didn't believe my internet based myths and told them in so many words to shove it.
    Good to hear it worked! Did you check it for grease?

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wagon
    Good to hear it worked! Did you check it for grease?

no i didnt

2003 325xi
    Speed Donkey

My Cars
    E46XIT Turbo
    Hey- I know this thread is fairly old, but I am curious if this problem is the same as the one I am having.
    I just installed some used GKN axles when I did some work on my car so now I have a coilover setup on my XI wagon, the settings are low.
    I drove it for 2 days no problems then went to get it aligned, the day after the alignment I started getting a low hollow bobbling sound on the front, it seems to either come from the driver side or the passenger side but not both at the same time (its fairly obvious when it switches sides) its only above 2.5K RPMs under acceleration and under low speed turns (like going into a parking spot) however sitting still and turning the wheel does not cause the noise

when I installed the axles I did both the passenger and driver side and mid with the used GKN components, they got new grease and boots from GKN when they went on and are still attached, the bearings on the ends of the inside axles seems to be in good condition, freely moved around the same way the axles that had been on my car did.

any insight would be helpful thank you

My Cars
    03 bmw 325xi
    Hey guys so I know it's an old thread but need some opnions here. I have an 03 325xi. Over the last few months it's developed a front end shake that's there one day and gone the next. It seems to come and go randomly, stops completely when I let off the gas and when I hit the breaks. Car doesn't pull to either side, but the drivers side front tireis wearing faster on the inside. Anyway took to my bmw mechanic who specializes in vw/audi/porsche but does do bmw and benz also. Anyway he's an old timer and deff knows his **** and he's always been cheap and fair as hell to me. Anyway I drop the car off tell him what it's doing he throws it on the lift and finds my inner tierod is shot on the drivers side. Does both the inner and outta tie rodand changes my torn axel boot charges me $250 parts and labor, couldn't be happier. I pick the car up all seems fine, 20 min later starts doin the same thing again!! I should also mention when making a hard left turn im hearing and feeling a popping sound from the front of my car. Almost like a piece of metal jumping. Im a motorcycle mechanic and have worked on many old cars but I don't even attempt to work on the bimmer myself. The mechanics basically telling me he solved what the issue was and that any other shake is secondary to the problem he fixed. But im tellin you it's not, even if the tierod was worn out it must not have been the cause of the shake, if it's the axle how hard is this to do myself? Does this sound like the axle? Anyone with any insight would be a huge help as im pissed bc i just wasted $250 today. Thanks guys sorry this was so long

My Cars
    -
    -
    Last edited by bfs; 03-04-2019 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvetteman115 View Post
    Hey guys so I know it's an old thread but need some opnions here. I have an 03 325xi. Over the last few months it's developed a front end shake that's there one day and gone the next. It seems to come and go randomly, stops completely when I let off the gas and when I hit the breaks. Car doesn't pull to either side, but the drivers side front tireis wearing faster on the inside. Anyway took to my bmw mechanic who specializes in vw/audi/porsche but does do bmw and benz also. Anyway he's an old timer and deff knows his **** and he's always been cheap and fair as hell to me. Anyway I drop the car off tell him what it's doing he throws it on the lift and finds my inner tierod is shot on the drivers side. Does both the inner and outta tie rodand changes my torn axel boot charges me $250 parts and labor, couldn't be happier. I pick the car up all seems fine, 20 min later starts doin the same thing again!! I should also mention when making a hard left turn im hearing and feeling a popping sound from the front of my car. Almost like a piece of metal jumping. Im a motorcycle mechanic and have worked on many old cars but I don't even attempt to work on the bimmer myself. The mechanics basically telling me he solved what the issue was and that any other shake is secondary to the problem he fixed. But im tellin you it's not, even if the tierod was worn out it must not have been the cause of the shake, if it's the axle how hard is this to do myself? Does this sound like the axle? Anyone with any insight would be a huge help as im pissed bc i just wasted $250 today. Thanks guys sorry this was so long
    that tie rod was causing the worn tire issue. So that's fixed. Get an alignment if the mechanic didn't. The torn boot will allow moisture and dirt to get into the CV joint and cause damage. It was probably torn long before you noticed any symptoms. If you live in an area that uses road salt the process is accelerated. Front CV joints usually make a clicking or popping noise when they start to wear out. Especially when you make a turn.

You are showing all the classic symptoms of a CV joint that is on its way out.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 05-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    that tie rod was causing the worn tire issue. So that's fixed. Get an alignment if the mechanic didn't. The torn boot will allow moisture and dirt to get into the CV joint and cause damage. It was probably torn long before you noticed any symptoms. If you live in an area that uses road salt the process is accelerated. Front CV joints usually make a clicking or popping noise when they start to wear out. Especially when you make a turn.

You are showing all the classic symptoms of a CV joint that is on its way out.
    Post is 2 years old fly. The xi axles will vibrate long before they start clicking, been there done that.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2007 530xi wagon
    Thank you for this! I replaced my thrust arms recently and couldn't figure out what this new vibration was. my passenger front axle boot was completely torn but so close against the inner joint that you couldn't even tell. I knew there was play in the axle, since i bought one a year ago.. I put it in last night and vibration all gone. Thank you so much

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Its not already packed with grease? if not this is a good heads up.
    Redline CV joint grease.