Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 OEM radio won't accept code...help with clearing memory?

My Cars
    1993 e36 318is

Question E36 OEM radio won't accept code...help with clearing memory?

Preventative alert against flaming: I am not asking for the code. I already have the code from the dealer.

I bought an E36 (93 318is) not too long ago, which came with a crappy Kenwood CD player with no faceplate. Since I'm admittedly an OEM whore, I bought a stock radio (KE-93ZBM, 82 11 1 468 290 v2) secondhand off Craigslist, from a fellow whose brother used to own an E36. I obtained the five digit anti-theft code from a local BMW dealership. However, the radio will not accept the code given to me by the dealer.

I am certain the code is correct, since I got it from a BMW dealership. The snag is I did attempt a few guesses myself (12345, etc.) before consigning myself to head to the dealer to dig up this ancient code for this ancient brick of a tape deck. It would be reasonable to assume that it only allows three attempts.

How and when does the memory expire on this brick?

My friend (and BMW enthusiast) said that it expires with 75 minutes of current (key in ON position, either running or not). I have let my car's battery drain for 75 minutes, also driven about 500 mi since then - tried it with the radio plugged in and turned on, staring at the word CODE in hateful silence, tried it with the radio plugged in and off, and I have also upon suggestion let the car sit with the battery disconnected for 75 minutes...all to no avail.

Could anyone with experience on the matter share their wisdom? I just wanna hear some tunes while I'm driving. Thanks
    Last edited by flav0rdave; 10-31-2011 at 07:37 PM.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Try this site:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/785990

Extracted from that site:

Most BMW models produced up through the mid to late ’90s, employ a radio anti-theft security code. The anti-theft function is activated when the input power to the radio is interrupted. When the power is re-connected, the radio will ask for the security code to be input. The codes are typically either 4 or 5 digits. There are two different methods of entering the codes … they are not interchangeable.

1) Method 1 – If you have 5 or 6 memory keys , the code is entered in the order of the keys. In other words, if the code were 23241, you would push the 2 key, then 3, then 2, etc. If this doesn’t work you can try Method 2.

2) Method 2 – In this case, the code is entered in succession on the memory keys. In other words (using the same code as above), key 1 is pressed two times, key 2 is pressed three times, key 3 is pressed two times …. etc.

If, during the entry, or after the code is entered, the radio beeps and says WAIT or CODE WAIT this means that you have entered the code incorrectly (you will get at least two chances to enter the code, before it knocks you out) and you must now perform a reset procedure. Turn the radio off. Now turn the key to the accessory or ignition position (position 1 or 2) and wait for one hour. After one hour, turn the radio on (do not change the position of the key) and you should see the CODE function and you can attempt to enter the code again.

In the future, if you need to inturupt the power to the radio, you can use the Memory Saver Tool. The tool plugs into the lighter socket and supplies just enough power to keep the system memories while you perform a short service (battery replacement, etc.).

E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E34, E36, E36/7, E38, radio, Z3 | Category: BMW 3 Series 84-91 - E30, BMW 3 Series 92-98 - E36, BMW 5 Series 82-88 - E28, BMW 5 Series 89-95 - E34, BMW 6 Series 77-88 - E24, BMW 7 Series 79-87 - E23, BMW 7 Series 88-94 - E32, BMW 8 Series - E31, BMW Z3 96-03 - E36/7
    Source: http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e36/bmw-radio-code

--------------------------------------------
    RADIO CODE PROBLEMS?

BMW has, for many years, used radio's with a theft protection feature. This feature is an identification code that is required whenever the radio is disconnected from its power source.

Almost all BMW radio codes consist of 5 digits between the numbers 1 and 6.

If you bought your car new, you would have got a credit card sized identification card, with the radio's serial number and code printed on it.

If you do not have this card, you can have your local dealer supply you with the code. Some dealers charge for this service, some will do it for free. Usually, you will be required to drive the vehicle into the dealership, or at least supply proof of ownership of the vehicle.

If your radio displays the word CODE, you will need to enter this 5 digit security code.

This is done by pressing the radio preset buttons corresponding with the code numbers.

You will hear a beep when the last number of the sequence is entered and the radio will display a frequency. If you hear the beep before the last number, STOP. For some reason a button has been pushed unintentionally, either before you started to enter the code, or perhaps, you pushed one number twice by accident. If you hear this beep prematurely, simply stop and go back to the first number of your code.

You have 3 attempts to use the code before the radio decides you are guessing and locks you out. If this happens, you will need to either remove all power to the radio, or leave the ignition on the first position, which will display CODE in the radio, but not turn on all of the lights in the instrument cluster, for at least one hour. Not for 59 minutes, it must be a full hour.

After this hour, you get 3 more attempts.

Occasionally, a radio will not code up even though the code is correct. In this case, you must leave the ignition on as described above, removing power will not help in this case.
    Source: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/...-radiocode.asp
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Updated by TSB #6502933729 Nov 1986.

The BMW anti-theft radio circuitry is designed to essentially render your radio unsalable if it is stolen. If the radio is subsequently electrically reconnected, it will not operate until a five-digit security code assigned to your radio is entered. The anti-theft features and operation are as follows:

After the ignition key is removed, the red "anti-theft" LED will continuously flash, drawing attention to this feature.
    Should anyone, such as a thief, touch any push-button on the radio after the key is removed, the anti-theft inscription will flash and a warning tone will sound for 5 minutes or until the ignition is turned ON .
    Should the voltage supply to the radio drop below 5 volts due to a dead battery, electrical repairs, or radio removal (such as theft), the radio will not function when voltage is restored. The word "code" will show in the display only.
    The proper 5-digit code shown on the TWO CARDS SUPPLIED TO YOU must then be entered (using the proper number radio push-button selectors in the bottom row) when the radio is on and the display shows "code". If the correct code is not entered in three successive tries , the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been left on for one hour with the ignition ON . IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 43215 and you mistakenly enter 42 instead of 3, continue the code number sequence of 215 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "code" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 43215 and operation of the radio will continue. The likelihood of guessing the correct code is extremely remote. The radio is, therefore, unsalable to a thief. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately ! Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    The code card should be placed in your wallet, or with the vehicle title papers for security as deemed necessary by your individual needs.
    Should radio or electrical repairs become necessary, please give the repairing facility the radio code number. If you do not, only authorized BMW dealer personnel can obtain the code from BMW.
    Should you lose your code cards, contact the nearest BMW dealer who will then obtain your code from BMW. You may be charged for removal of the radio to ascertain the radio chassis number.
    WARNING: FOR YOUR PROTECTION, CODES WILL NOT BE GIVEN OUT TO ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OTHER THAN AUTHORIZED BMW DEALER PERSONNEL AFTER PROOF OF VEHICLE OWNERSHIP AND PROPER IDENTIFICATION IS ESTABLISHED.
    Install the 2 enclosed warning decals in accordance with motor vehicle regulations.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 735iL
    I'm having a similar problem, but I have done the leave the car in ignition position 1 and such and still have had no success. However I have never seen "WAIT", or "CODE WAIT". My code was given to me by the dealer as well.

Also, when I try to enter the code it does not make any indication outside of a beep after five button presses that it is accepting my input. I assume there are supposed to be asterisks added under "CODE" after each button press?

It's driving me absolutely insane.

My Cars
    06 530xi 95 525i 98 540i

Unhappy radio code

I'm having the same issues with a 95 525i recently purchased. Have tried unsucessfully a number of times even disconecting battery, still won't accept code...beeps after trying to enter 5th nu. Tommorrow I will remove radio from power by removing it from car/harness for a time...after that it's going in a box and I'm going to install a new JVC hu. Have E30 that I never had a problem with but ended up upgrading entire system anyway...just want to hear how good/bad E34 is before I do anything drastic.

Bruce

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I just got myself a 1995 M3 two days ago (first bmw) and I'm having this anti-theft radio problem, triggered by a battery replacement by the previous owner. I need to leave it on for one hour to clear the 3 strikes problem. (I hope that'll fix it...)

I'm worried that leaving the ignition on position 1 in the parking lot here at work for an hour might drain the battery significantly. Any thoughts on this?

I've got two Krautrock cds in changer ready to go...

Knackers

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    It worked. Just to confirm for any future unlockers: I turned everything off. Then I turned the ignition just enough so that the odometer light came on, but not the various warning lights that usually come on before you fire it up. Then I turned the radio on. It showed "CODE". I opened the door, ignored the warning noises, left the key in the ignition, and shut the door and left it for 1 hour (plus 5 minutes for luck). Then I went back and entered the code. It werked! I don't think BMW thought of the fact that you are liable to get your car stolen because you have to leave your key in the car...

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    Thanks for this write up finally got the radio to work after a very very very long time!

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

My Cars
    E36 328i convertible
    It worked! The sound is shit but it worked!

Thanks for the advice!