Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Ordering from paints from paintscratch.com question???

My Cars
    98 M3 4dr, 91 E30,06 b15

Ordering from paints from paintscratch.com question???

Has anyone ordered paint from http://www.paintscratch.com before?
    I am thinking to get few basecoat spray cans, but I am curious about the quality of paint. Also,should I order clear coat and primer from them as well? what i am thinking is their primer and clear coat might be the same as I see at the auto store. Anyone knows?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528I
    Yes. I have ordered from them. All the time. I ordered their spray can for my paint color (Canyon red metallic) to paint my bumper. I matches the car color really well. I would recommend them. Only thing is their delivery kind of takes a while so you should probably get more than you need because you can get stuck with a paint job. You probably can get the clearcoat from somewhere else, Autozone like you said. See picture of my front bumper that i painted myself with a spraycan I got from them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    The clear coat has been a duplicolor lacquer in the past.

Their paint is only OK. It is vulnerable to chemicals and the duplicolor clear yellows over time. I'd highly recommend buying some real catalyzed paint instead. It's so much easier to get a good finish with real paint, it's just not funny. (This does require a compressed air and a paint gun, though.)
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    2002 Audi A4
    Hi nick325xit 5sp.

This is Collin from paintscratch.com. Here are my thoughts.

1) We use paint from DuPont, PPG and Sikkens. As far as the paint being "okay", these companies provide the paint used by nearly all new car manufacturers.

2) We purchase a professional grade of clearcoat from Duplicolor and pay extra for it. In selling online for the last 12 years, we have not had reports of yellowing. I was not sure what you meant by "vulnerable to chemicals". I suppose any paint probably is if exposed to the right solvent.

3) Catalyzed paint is great but there is a big problem for the average DIY. If you do not spray in dust free conditions, i.e. a professional paint booth or a super clean area, the catalyzed paint collects dirt and dust when it dries.
    The clear we sell can be sprayed almost anywhere as it dries rapidly and therefore attracts way less dirt and dust. It can then be polished to a high gloss. With proper care, this finish will last the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'd be very interested in your comments.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintScratch View Post
    Hi nick325xit 5sp.

This is Collin from paintscratch.com. Here are my thoughts.

1) We use paint from DuPont, PPG and Sikkens. As far as the paint being "okay", these companies provide the paint used by nearly all new car manufacturers.

2) We purchase a professional grade of clearcoat from Duplicolor and pay extra for it. In selling online for the last 12 years, we have not had reports of yellowing. I was not sure what you meant by "vulnerable to chemicals". I suppose any paint probably is if exposed to the right solvent.

3) Catalyzed paint is great but there is a big problem for the average DIY. If you do not spray in dust free conditions, i.e. a professional paint booth or a super clean area, the catalyzed paint collects dirt and dust when it dries.
    The clear we sell can be sprayed almost anywhere as it dries rapidly and therefore attracts way less dirt and dust. It can then be polished to a high gloss. With proper care, this finish will last the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'd be very interested in your comments.
    My thoughts are very simple: Non-catalyzed paint from a rattle can basically can't be made to deliver the results you can get with a paint gun or an air brush. Is it more of a pain in the ass? Sure. But it's worth the effort.

Frankly, I've spent several hundred on Paintscratch products and also bought quite a few others. Paintscratch is as good as it gets from a rattle can. But, quite frankly, I've also gone to the additional expense of *redoing* almost everything that was rattle canned because it just doesn't compare to the results I can get with a paint gun. And more to the point, if I shoot well, I don't even need to polish after painting with a paint gun.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    Homologation cars
    I've used paint scratch many times...and will continue to do so.

Highly recommended!

My Cars
    2016 BMW 6 series
    I ordered spray paint, primer, and clearcoat to repaint the bumper on my 2013 Ford F150. I followed the instructions exactly and my paint code was verified correct by Ford. I tested the paint and the color was a match. When I finished the process and applied the clear coat the paint appeared non-metallic. My truck has a metallic finish. I contacted the company and sent them photos. I sent the paint back at their request and my cost. They sent me a new can of paint which I tested and the metallic finish was correct. I now have to start the process over because they sent the wrong paint to start. I asked them to provide the primer and clearcoat and I was told I would have to buy them. I have wasted numerous hours only to be brushed aside after they had my money. They make mistakes and don't stand by their products. Stay away from this company.

My Cars
    BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sebdmd View Post
    I ordered spray paint, primer, and clearcoat to repaint the bumper on my 2013 Ford F150. I followed the instructions exactly and my paint code was verified correct by Ford. I tested the paint and the color was a match. When I finished the process and applied the clear coat the paint appeared non-metallic. My truck has a metallic finish. I contacted the company and sent them photos. I sent the paint back at their request and my cost. They sent me a new can of paint which I tested and the metallic finish was correct. I now have to start the process over because they sent the wrong paint to start. I asked them to provide the primer and clearcoat and I was told I would have to buy them. I have wasted numerous hours only to be brushed aside after they had my money. They make mistakes and don't stand by their products. Stay away from this company.
    It's their quality assurance team that is to be blamed as they don't check the product before sending the orders to their customers.