Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red battery light on the dash. Anyone had this happen?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci

Red battery light on the dash. Anyone had this happen?

So yesterday the red battery light came on my dash. I read into it and found out its the alternator not supplying the battery with the juice she needs. Anyone had this problem before? Do I just need a new alternator?

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport
    It could be one of two things... either your alternator is tango uniform or your battery is toast. First; How old is your battery, and is there a shop that can load test your electric system? Secondly are you getting any other unusual dashboard lights?
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Update, I had my diagnostic reader in as I was attempting to drive it home, started lagging so I checked the data and it said fuel system 1 off and fuel system 2 off., friggen died on my on the busiest street in rush hour (it was the only way to get to my place) it was so dead that my 4 ways wouldn't even come on. I'm thinking it might be the battery because doesn't it usually charge itself up while your driving? And if it died while driving (twice) then the battery isn't holding. I charged it to my buddy's car for 10 mins and I was able to make it home. Now the fun starts. I'm gonna take the battery in tomorrow to get tested

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Update, I had my diagnostic reader in as I was attempting to drive it home, started lagging so I checked the data and it said fuel system 1 off and fuel system 2 off., friggen died on my on the busiest street in rush hour (it was the only way to get to my place) it was so dead that my 4 ways wouldn't even come on. I'm thinking it might be the battery because doesn't it usually charge itself up while your driving? And if it died while driving (twice) then the battery isn't holding. I charged it to my buddy's car for 10 mins and I was able to make it home. Now the fun starts. I'm gonna take the battery in tomorrow to get tested

Update, I just got home so I was able to search the web and it turns out it's the alternator isn't charging the battery. Then the car runs on the battery till it dies. Time to make my wallet anerexic seeing as I don't have the shop anymore
    Last edited by 1235kjd; 10-24-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Often, an instantaneous red battery light is indicative of a broken accessory belt. If the belt comes off or breaks, you'll no longer have power steering, alternator, or (most important) water pump. Continuing to drive in this condition will present a severe risk of overheating and engine damage.

Your first step would be to check to see if belts are still intact.

If belts are not intact:
    - Check idler pulley and tensioner pulley
    - Check water pump bearings
    - Replace/R&R as needed

If belts are intact:
    - Check battery terminal connections
    - Check connections at back of alternator
    - Check ground cables
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is OFF - should be approximately 12 volts
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is idling - should be approximately 14 volts
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is revved up a little (maybe 3k-4k RPMs) - should still be approximately 14 volts.

If voltage is irregular while the car is running, it might be the voltage regulator which is part of the alternator. But, replacing the voltage regulator is just as much work and almost as expensive as a fully remanufactured alternator... so if you're certain the connections are all good, and you're not getting a consistent 14 volts at the battery terminals while the car is running, then I'd probably go for a remanufactured alternator.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    All connections are good, belts are good, etc.
    The car is completely dead so I can't check the battery and what not.

What all should I replace while I'm down there doing the alternator?

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    There's not much else that you need to remove to get to the alternator.

If you're really looking for a "while you're in there," then maybe look hard for any evidence of a leaking oil filter housing gasket. Shine a bright light down in the hole behind the oil filter housing, look for grime and oil on the waffle-textured area on the side of the block. If it's dirty there, you likely need a new oil filter housing gasket. The part is cheap, and it'll take maybe an extra hour to replace that while you're doing the alternator. The alternator has to come out to get to the gasket, so if it needs to be done, now's a good time.

Otherwise, just do the alternator and be done with it.

You can probably pull the alternator and have it bench-tested at an auto parts store... just to be sure.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Asesome, thanks! If I need a new alternator, what size amp should I be using?

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I don't remember, other than that there are at least two versions. I think there's probably a sticker on your existing alternator that should tell you what you need.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Wow. Dtealer wants $950 plus $100 core. Yet online you can get one for 200... How do they sleep at night? Wait I know.... In a bed of stupid ppls money!

My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I believe that if you go to a BMWNA dealership, and have a new alternator installed by them, it'll carry a lifetime warranty*. So, there's that.

Still, one or two more $200 alternators should last the life of the car.

* last time I went to Fields BMW in Orlando, they had a sign in their service department stating this. That was a few years ago though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    K so I took my battery in to get charged. It was put in back in feb 08. Turns out the battery is no good... I'm gonna pull my alternator out to get checked in a few days also

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i (E39)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1235kjd View Post
    K so I took my battery in to get charged. It was put in back in feb 08. Turns out the battery is no good... I'm gonna pull my alternator out to get checked in a few days also
    If the battery was toast I would be hesitant to blame the alternator...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    How come?

My Cars
    E46M
    3 years seems to be an unbelievably short life span for a battery.

iirc, the BMW battery is guaranteed to last 10 years, no?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kBMW3Series View Post
    3 years seems to be an unbelievably short life span for a battery.

iirc, the BMW battery is guaranteed to last 10 years, no?
    5-7 years is typical.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Is there any warrenty on a BMW battery?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I would think it would follow the warranty of the car. Dunno.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    I just don't want to buy a new battery and put it in my car and it turns out my alternator is pooped too and kills the new battery lol

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    K.. So I they charged the battery and told me that it was bad... I decided to test the battery with my tester and it was putting out 14.... Isn't 14 good?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Was car running?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci
    Nope, it's not hooked up

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Often, an instantaneous red battery light is indicative of a broken accessory belt. If the belt comes off or breaks, you'll no longer have power steering, alternator, or (most important) water pump. Continuing to drive in this condition will present a severe risk of overheating and engine damage.

Your first step would be to check to see if belts are still intact.

If belts are not intact:
    - Check idler pulley and tensioner pulley
    - Check water pump bearings
    - Replace/R&R as needed

If belts are intact:
    - Check battery terminal connections
    - Check connections at back of alternator
    - Check ground cables
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is OFF - should be approximately 12 volts
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is idling - should be approximately 14 volts
    - Check voltage at battery terminals while car is revved up a little (maybe 3k-4k RPMs) - should still be approximately 14 volts.

If voltage is irregular while the car is running, it might be the voltage regulator which is part of the alternator. But, replacing the voltage regulator is just as much work and almost as expensive as a fully remanufactured alternator... so if you're certain the connections are all good, and you're not getting a consistent 14 volts at the battery terminals while the car is running, then I'd probably go for a remanufactured alternator.

Thank you for this detailed reply. I had a similar situation happen to me with the red light and it turned out it was one of the belts like you suggested. Cheers mate.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Last time I heard BMW battery's had a 1 year warranty. Your alternator should have a label on it and it will say for instance 120a, 140a ect meaning the amperage out put of the alternator and it would probably say Bosch or Valeo also you do not want to install marginal battery with a new alternator, it could damage the new alternator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast