Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of hose outlet on top of cylinder 1?

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10

Purpose of hose outlet on top of cylinder 1?

Looking down on the engine bay and above cylinder 1, there is a hose that hooks in the direction towards cylinder 3.

1) What purpose does it serve?
    2) From that hose, there is an additional thin rubber hose that goes down and under the induction header assembly and comes up on the driver side of the unit. Where does that go and what purpose does it serve?
    3) This thin rubber hose had a tear in it, would that have affected anything? I recently repaired it by wrapping it some black electrical tape around it.
    Last edited by Rushfan1; 10-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    Early 77' 320i
    what colors are the hoses? Can you take a pic?

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 320i, 325ci
    Are you referring to these?

My Cars
    73' tii 79 320i 73'2002
    Vacuum hoses- Very important to keep them and the rest of the engine sealed so air doesn't bypass the meter.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by ekr470 View Post

Yes sir! The brown one going downward had the hole in it on the other side. I've sealed it up.

My Cars
    1982 320i
    Electric tape typically does not provide a good enough seal and is not a long term solution. If the hoses have a hole in them you should replace them. Bavauto has them for sale individually and bmrparts has a package for sale that includes all preformed hoses and boots (you will still need some small diameter hoses if you intend to replace all of your vacuum lines).

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by utjeffc View Post
    Electric tape typically does not provide a good enough seal and is not a long term solution. If the hoses have a hole in them you should replace them. Bavauto has them for sale individually and bmrparts has a package for sale that includes all preformed hoses and boots (you will still need some small diameter hoses if you intend to replace all of your vacuum lines).
    Thanks. I went to the Bavauto site and am not sure which individual vacuum hose it is that I am looking for. Name or part number would be appreciated of the hose that comes down from the T connector.
    Last edited by Rushfan1; 10-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    2 E21s, E28, Z3 Coupe
    what i have is this:

Vacuum Hose, Silicone, White, 3.5mm x 2.0m
    11 73 1 259 994

My Cars
    73' tii 79 320i 73'2002
    Your local parts store should have 1/8" vacuum hose in bulk for a dollar a foot....

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

I'm not sure the purpose of that hose, outside of adding another avenue for PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) to work thru.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10

Does Bav Auto sell the right most crankcase ventilation hose? That is the one that goes from the valve cover to the T connector? Does anyone know the proper name for this hose? By chance is it the first one below?

Hose - Auxiliary Air Valve to T- connector Part # : 11 15 1 286 255 $ 9.95
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............

(click to see more)
    Hose - Auxiliary Air Hose Tee to Auxiliary Air Valve Part # : 11 61 1 286 258 $ 8.95

My Cars
    2013 X3 xDrive28i
    I think this might be what you're looking for:

The name doesn't seem right but it looks more like what you're talking about.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by jego View Post
    I think this might be what you're looking for:

The name doesn't seem right but it looks more like what you're talking about.
    Thanks. I saw that too but I too was turned off by the description. Looking at it, it sure looks like the one I need. If there is anyone else who can confirm that this is the right one, I'd appreciate it.

My Cars
    2 E21s, E28, Z3 Coupe
    Part Number 11 15 1 286 257 - HOSE - VALVE COVER BREATHER

No. 11 in this diagram from www.bimmer.com

$4.54 from www.bimmer.com
    $3.95 from www.bavauto.com (see in the UNDER THE HOOD / INTAKE BELLOWS & BOOTS section)

BMP Design (www.bmpdesign.com) puts together a kit so you don't have to figure it out and you can focus on replacing the whole caboodle. What the kit has that isn't under the bavauto section are the Auxilliary Air Valve hoses (bottom - goes to the AFM boot/bellows aka Intake Hood; top - goes to Cold Start Injector housing).

BMW Design Part number 62405 $59.95

Bavauto will price match if you request them to, for all the parts in BMP Design's kit.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Fullswing, thanks a million.

My Cars
    '82 E21, H3, es300
    what if you're not running FI, what purpose does that ventilation serve?
    Jayhawk

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk49er View Post
    The purpose is to suck up oil vapors from the crankcase. But if it gets a leak, it lets air into the engine that wasn't measured by the AFM so it runs poorly and probably with a high idle. If enough air gets in, it won't run at all.

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10

T connector connected to PCV hose

I have a question regarding the hose (dark brown/greasy as shown above) coming downward from the T-connector connected to the PCV hose:

- How does that vacuum hose connect upwards to the T-connector? Is there a clip or equivalent?
    - The hose comes down and back up to connect to the fuel injector assembly (it's not visible unless I use a mirror). How too is that connected? Is the only way to connect it with the help of a mirror?

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk49er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    The purpose is to suck up oil vapors from the crankcase.
    while it does direct the oil vapors into the manifold for combustion, this is done for pollution control and not at all the reason for the Positive Crank Pressure Vent. the reason is to vent out the positive crank pressures from within the engine. there was a time when the hose just vented to below the car.
    Last edited by Tom D; 07-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    (2) '83 320iS, '97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    while it does direct the oil vapors into the manifold for combustion, this is done for pollution control and not at all the reason for the Positive Crank Pressure Vent. the reason is to vent out the positive crank pressures from within the engine. there was a time when the hose just vented to below the car.
    As well as any unburned fuel and combustion gasses that get past the rings.
    "The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By dilligent effort, I learnt to like it." Sir Winston Churchill

My Cars
    1980 E21 M10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan1 View Post
    I have a question regarding the hose (dark brown/greasy as shown above) coming downward from the T-connector connected to the PCV hose:

- How does that vacuum hose connect upwards to the T-connector? Is there a clip or equivalent?
    - The hose comes down and back up to connect to the fuel injector assembly (it's not visible unless I use a mirror). How too is that connected? Is the only way to connect it with the help of a mirror?
    Any answers to the questions above?

My Cars
    (2) '83 320iS, '97 528i
    The hoses simply push on over the barbed nipples of the tees. This goes for both the big 'n little hoses.

The hose comming out of the valve cover descends between the inlet manifold runners and bends forward. Just forward of the bend is a tee that the small hose connects to. The other end of the small hose connects to the tee in the hose that runs from the auxillary air valve to the inlet manifold. The connection to the inlet manifold is integrated into the cold start valve mount.

Any hole, tear, breach, etc. in any of these hoses = vacuum leak = lean air/fuel mix.

As to the function of the small hose, I have'nt a clue. I vaguely remember one of those tees has some sort of valving mechanism in it but never pondered what its' function might be.

As to the physical act of inatalling / attaching the hoses, you'll have to get stuff out of the way and have double jointed wrists and fingers. Small hands help too (something I don't have). It's been quite a while since I've been into that plate of spaghetti down there & don't remember any specific tricks other than swearing profusely. Perhaps another member can help.
    Last edited by e21Terry; 07-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    "The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By dilligent effort, I learnt to like it." Sir Winston Churchill

My Cars
    78' & 82' 320i, 99' 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan1 View Post

Can someone trace the greasy vacuum looking hose back to where it connects?

My Cars
    1981 E21 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstarks7 View Post
    Can someone trace the greasy vacuum looking hose back to where it connects?
    The pic you are referencing in this old thread is for a 1.8 litre ...the 2.0 litre has a totally different intake manifold.
    On the 1.8 litre, it connects to a vacuum port on the underside of the intake manifold at the front.

Cheers
    hmm .. Wonder what happens if I do this ...

My Cars
    78' & 82' 320i, 99' 528i
    Awesome thanks GDAus! I found it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast