Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bondo. Twin Turbo Project. 535i. Hate is bad.

My Cars
    '91 Volvo 245
    15g and browntops, huh?

My Cars
    BMW 1991 535i
    lets see some progress!!!!

My Cars
    E90 325i
    X2 I enjoy this build!
    _Harrison

My Cars
    1995 540i, 740turbobrick
    Quote Originally Posted by yeliwmots View Post
    15g and browntops, huh?
    huh??
    E34 540i decatted, Bosch design III, custom exhaust, 16" style 5's, 18mm rear sway bar

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 535ipower View Post
    huh??
    Inside joke from turbobricks.

Anyways I will post a BIG update tomorrow.

I have the intake manifold modified, VEMS mostly wired, and the front turbo manifold almost done. It's coming along well.

My Cars
    1995 540i, 740turbobrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
    Inside joke from turbobricks.

Anyways I will post a BIG update tomorrow.

I have the intake manifold modified, VEMS mostly wired, and the front turbo manifold almost done. It's coming along well.
    Haha thats what i thought but then was like wheres the browntops ..

More pics plz
    E34 540i decatted, Bosch design III, custom exhaust, 16" style 5's, 18mm rear sway bar

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Yeah no brown tops, lol. The injectors I'm using are 720cc, incidentally.

Our dinner guests cancelled tonight, so I can work on the car. Woo! Pics tonight.

Hm.. it keeps just merging my new post with the old one and not bumping the thread...

Ok.

Some recent new goodies - new oil filter housing w/ oil cooler ports, new oil cooler lines, new M5 shift surround, new ABS sensor (I killed one when i did the subframe).

I decided to modify the intake manifold rather than build a new one. Just too much work and I want this thing on the road for spring

What I did was a bit of a compromise. I just couldn't bear to blast air straight across the runner inlets. This style of intake design is fine for NA, but it falls short for boosted apps IMO.

My solution was to enlarge the plenum, mainly trying to slow the air down as it enters in the intake manifold and help keep nice even pressure at all runner inlets. It has roughly double the plenum volume of stock.

Next up, front header. It is tiny. Not sure what else to say about it. lol
    I ended up drilling the flange by hand. It'll get some trimming at some point, now that it's welded. And cleanup, it has glue residue and crap all over it from masking tape etc.

Here you can kinda see roughly where the rear turbo will live:

Not many pics of the VEMS install but here's one. Fits in the stock location.

OK, Update time.

Some recent new goodies - new oil filter housing w/ oil cooler ports, new oil cooler lines, new M5 shift surround, new ABS sensor (I killed one when i did the subframe).

I decided to modify the intake manifold rather than build a new one. Just too much work and I want this thing on the road for spring

What I did was a bit of a compromise. I just couldn't bear to blast air straight across the runner inlets. This style of intake design is fine for NA, but it falls short for boosted apps IMO.

My solution was to enlarge the plenum, mainly trying to slow the air down as it enters in the intake manifold and help keep nice even pressure at all runner inlets. It has roughly double the plenum volume of stock.

Next up, front header. It is tiny. Not sure what else to say about it. lol
    I ended up drilling the flange by hand. It'll get some trimming at some point, now that it's welded. And cleanup, it has glue residue and crap all over it from masking tape etc.

Here you can kinda see roughly where the rear turbo will live:

Not many pics of the VEMS install but here's one. Fits in the stock location.

Automerge double post ftl?
    Last edited by Captain Bondo; 12-22-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I like what you're doing there. Great fabbing, this will definetely be a torque monster tire destructing machine, I just don't know if you can hit 500whp with such little turbos.
    You sir, have a one badass tig welder. I'm shopping around for a tig right now, won't be buying a dynasty though since I don't really need the portability, and it cost 2x as much as an older used transformer unit.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Thanks man. These turbos come from the Volvo 850 turbo. They max out right around around 240-250whp. Hopefully two of them will make 480-500whp but it might take like 20psi. The goal is response first, power second (daily driver).

That said, my back up plan is to use turbos from the V70R (19T compressor instead of 15g).

These are a direct swap, same turbine wheel, so I can literally leave the hot sides on the manifolds and just swap out the center sections/cold side complete. Like a 30 minute job.

The 19T maxes out around 300whp, so then I would have enough turbo for closer to 600whp in total. But I'll try these first and see how they are. The 19T's would make more sense in conjunction with a built motor I think, since I want to keep it DD reliable.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Coming along nicely

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    awesome work man

My Cars
    i3, Z3 and an Alfa Romeo
    i like what im seeing here! keep it up

My Cars
    '91 e34 535 Twin Screw'd
    Nice work, I like the idea of re-using the 3.5 badge to block the old TB hole.

BRENDAN - Put a SOHC in it!

My Cars
    1995 540i, 740turbobrick
    Very nice.. Deff inspiring to see a TT set up going along.

My Cars
    E34 525it, e30 318is
    Nice fab work!
    E34 525it/5 S52
    E30 318is slicktop M50T
    F15 X5 50i M Sport

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Thanks all. I have the rear turbo more or less in place and the first runner tacked... but I'm not sure I'm feelin' it... the rear turbo is definitely trickier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaterman View Post
    Nice work, I like the idea of re-using the 3.5 badge to block the old TB hole.
    Thanks for noticing! I think it is a nice little touch as well.

Another problem is I have no idea how to paint the intake - I could either polish it, wire wheel the whole thing but leave it "natural", paint it black, or paint it body color (the whole car is going to be a dark silver color when I re do it)..

I kinda like the idea of making it body and having a super "monochrome" engine bay...

My Cars
    '85 535i, '95 540/6
    I like the black wrinkle coat look with the raised lettering revealed.

Edit: Like the valve cover in this thread!
    Last edited by tsmall07; 12-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    Great fab work man... Looking good.

My Cars
    E34, E368
    I vote a hyper silver coating for the intake manifold, but that's just me. I like what you did with the intake manifold, makes me rethink my turbo set up, but I've already got one of Todd's intercoolers to work with so I'll probably just get mine running and think about switching everything to the drivers side down the road.

Are you going to have to move the PS reservoir at all?

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post

Are you going to have to move the PS reservoir at all?
    For IC pipe clearance? I don't believe so.

The only thing that presents a bit of an issue is the PS pump pulley itself is close enough to the frame rail that squishing a 3" pipe in between is a little tight.

I still need to fit a methanol tank and pump somewhere in there too though, so some shuffling might be in order.

I'm liking a silver/body color with polished lettering approach. The black with polished is fine, but pretty common/generic/boring. Plus with the larger plenum I'd be worried painting it black in a silver engine bay would make it dominate the engine bay too much...

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Rear turbo manifold is basically done (except the welds to the flange).

It's not nearly as compact as the front, unfortunately. I just couldn't route the runners in a more direct path without having to "cheat" the bend radii heavily - to the point that it would have affected flow more than I was comfortable with.

This header is more in keeping with my personal "style" I suppose. Whatever, it'll work. If the back 3 runners breathe better up top I'll adjust the fuel trims.

The turbo sits low, but I was careful to keep the turbo oil drain about 2" above the level of the top of the oil pan, so gravity drain should be ok.

Kinda hard to get a pic in the car, but I tried. I'll take pics of it all assembled with the motor on a stand, then it'll be a bit clearer i think.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    The second manifold looks pretty cool. Don't mess with the fuel trims for bank 2 unless you have 2 wideband o2 sensors, I think the difference won't be that much to even mess with it.
    I'm surprised to see that you have a much bigger manifold in the area where you have the least space, and a much smaller manifold in the area with a ton of wide open space. I guess that shouldn't matter as long as both charge and down pipes are made to fit.
    keep it up, can't wait to hear it run.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Well that looks awesome.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    The second manifold looks pretty cool. Don't mess with the fuel trims for bank 2 unless you have 2 wideband o2 sensors, I think the difference won't be that much to even mess with it.
    I'm surprised to see that you have a much bigger manifold in the area where you have the least space, and a much smaller manifold in the area with a ton of wide open space. I guess that shouldn't matter as long as both charge and down pipes are made to fit.
    keep it up, can't wait to hear it run.
    Thanks. Individual fuel trims will be adjusted on the dyno, based on each cylinder's EGT (if necessary). I suspect if anything my modded intake also might favor the rearward cylinders, and the rearward cyinders are typically the hottest running on I6's to begin with, so I try hard to keep these potential "issues" in my mind - so that when I enter the tuning phase of things I have a bit of an educated pre-conceived idea as to how the motor is going to behave.

The packaging is screwy. The front of the engine bay needs to accomodate a proper air box, with 2 turbo inlet pipes entering it, the ic plumbing all comes up towards the front, the 2 oil drains both drain into the sump which is at the front of the motor, etc. It may appear odd but the packaging is tricky. Mounting the rear so low and requiring the snaky manifold is also to keep hot things away form the AC lines that enter the firewall up above.

My Cars
    E34 535i
    God that looks sexy.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast