Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bondo. Twin Turbo Project. 535i. Hate is bad.

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    Looking good so far...i still say your goal of 500whp in a daily is going to be costly. But I'd really like to see a twin Turbo m30 that isn't an alpina. I'd say a more realistic goal would be 350whp. For a daily that'll still be a ton o fun. Either way ill be following this build keep up the good work

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Anymore info on your turbo setup?

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

A few responses:
    Carpet was dyed using SEM dye. Plastic stuff was refinished with SEM colorcoat in landau black.

The seats are indeed heavy, lol.way heavier than they look it's crazy. Lighter than the stock power comforts but not by much. I didn't really get them with weight savings being a primary concern though. They were local, priced right, and fit the style I'm going for. The power vs manual thing is pretty moot for me.

I didn't do rtabs, the stockers seemed fine so I left them for now. Now that everything has been apart and cleaned etc it will much easier to work on on the future (main reason for doing it).

The stock brakes are in good shape and it's not a track car, so they'll do for now. They're definitely a priority but they are in the secOnd phase along with things like the rtabs. The goal is to be driving it by spring, so I am picking and choosing a bit.

The turbos are Mitsubishi TD04HL-15g's with I think 6cm housings. Internal wastegates and integrated CBV's. Fitted as a single on a 2.3l motor they spool very fast and are good to around 240-250whp. So hopefully using two of them on a 3.5l six they will have "ok" spool and peg out in the high 400's
    Last edited by Captain Bondo; 10-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Nice work so far!
    '95 Orient Blue 525i w/Premium Package: DDM 5000K HID's, M5 License Plate Filler, Clear Corners, 35% Tint

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Interesting cant wait to see more!

My Cars
    1994 540iA-->6??
    Subscribed! Thanks for starting a new thread on the build. Judging by pics of your last project and the tidy work thus far, this will be inspiring.

I know some hate the E36 seats but they look comfy. I'd rock a set over my comfort seats any day.
    2003 996.2 C4S
    2004 986.2 S
    2011 958 Turbo
    E39 540i6 to new home.
    E34 540iA also to new home. Currently Bimmerless and sad.

My Cars
    1994 540iA-->6??
    Bump for update?
    2003 996.2 C4S
    2004 986.2 S
    2011 958 Turbo
    E39 540i6 to new home.
    E34 540iA also to new home. Currently Bimmerless and sad.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    I haven't done much other than get the zender front lip attached and blended into the front bumper, and do some intercooler mock up.

The fittings where the AC lines attach to the condenser are in the way of where the intercooler end tank will end up, so I'm in the process of relocating them (cutting and re-welding the ac lines).

I'll post some pics some time this week. The lip+intercooler is going to look pretty sweet I think.

My Cars
    BMW
    Very nice sir, love the rear end pics!!!

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Okok a couple real crappy dark iphone pics snice they're uploaded.

Here are the fittings I need to relocate. Question - do the 525 or 540 AC condenser happen to have the fittings in a different spot?

Here you can see the IC core all off center. I need to at least move the right most fitting in order to center the core and have room for endtanks. lol.

IC and some other parts (core is a 6"x20"x5" Treadstone):

My Cars
    E34 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bondo
    Okok a couple real crappy dark iphone pics snice they're uploaded.

Here are the fittings I need to relocate. Question - do the 525 or 540 AC condenser happen to have the fittings in a different spot?

Here you can see the IC core all off center. I need to at least move the right most fitting in order to center the core and have room for endtanks. lol.

IC and some other parts (core is a 6"x20"x5" Treadstone):
    The 540 has the same condenser. As I mentioned in your other thread, you might want to go the custom route. Check out vintage air or nostalgic air for their super flow condensers.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Yeah thanks for the reminder. If I for some reason hit a major wall with relocating the fittings on the existing one, I'll definitely be looking in to those.

My Cars
    E34 535i
    http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air...denser-604.php

just an idea of where the in/out fittings are on these condensers.

My Cars
    525i-halfbreed
    [QUOTE=Captain Bondo;23046403]Okok a couple real crappy dark iphone pics snice they're uploaded.

they are in same place on my 535 . i had to remove condecenr to get the cooler to fit.i was going to look into a smaller condencer to reinstall ac. i also had to cut out the back of the metal bumper to clear ic tubes. i ran them thru the back of the bumper

i understand it will be all different for your set up. but might help u out

My Cars
    E90 325i
    /in for you doing things that I want to do to mine. Nice work!

Unfortunately I wont be able to tear into the comfortank until I get my second car (shooting for a vette or 2002) and even then, I might just leaver be.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Thanks guys.

525, thanks for the pics. in your case it looks like you also removed the receiver/drier to route the IC piping. It's actually quite funny how insanely in the way the AC system is when it comes to turboing these cars. My IC pipes will exit/enter the intercooler at the same place as yours but a bit lower, then (hopefully) tuck under and come up through the "side" of the belly pan. It's all a tight squeeze. Part of the lower section of my bumper needed a minor trim as well. hehehe.
    Last edited by Captain Bondo; 11-08-2011 at 12:41 AM.

My Cars
    525i-halfbreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
    Thanks guys.

525, thanks for the pics. in your case it looks like you also removed the receiver/drier to route the IC piping. It's actually quite funny how insanely in the way the AC system is when it comes to turboing these cars. My IC pipes will exit/enter the intercooler at the same place as yours but a bit lower, then (hopefully) tuck under and come up through the "side" of the belly pan. It's all a tight squeeze. Part of the lower section of my bumper needed a minor trim as well. hehehe.
    you know i never thought about this when i did mine. but what if you turn the concdencer around back wards. and re rout the linesto the inside behind it. instead of ion front of it? that might make enough room
    i left the reciver in their, i never took it out. its farther over to the fender wall. only part of the ac i removed was the condenc and lines, and i also had to raise the bumper brackets up. and take up the adjustment in the bumper. it was tight. and i only ran 2 1/2 ic tube

Thanks guys.

and i just remebered,, with my motor their is a issue with how close the down pipe runs next to the line going into the fire wall. they will cook for sure. i keep saying the ac will go back into the car. but as the days go bye i realize it will porb never happen.
    Last edited by 525gte; 11-09-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Two 92' 325i's,03' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by e34projekt View Post
    I'll ask twice, why not?! and are you happy with the results?
    lol i wana know too, I got a big black mark in my carpet i cant remove i would love to dye to black

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 525gte View Post
    and i just remebered,, with my motor their is a issue with how close the down pipe runs next to the line going into the fire wall. they will cook for sure. i keep saying the ac will go back into the car. but as the days go bye i realize it will porb never happen.
    Yeah, one of the (admittedly few ) advantages of the twin setup is I am able to keep hot things where I want them a bit better.

So, good news-
    I pulled the stock condenser out, it's 24" wide x 18" tall.

Turns out Vintage Air make a 24" x 12" tall with outlet that come straight out the side.

There could not be a better sze than that for my application, stock width but exactly 6" shorter than stock is perfect, as my intercooler will slot right in underneath it (It's 6" tall).

Fittings come out like this:

Also I think I answered the question about the dye, I used SEM.

My Cars
    Volvo 142
    Also I think I answered the question about the dye, I used SEM.
    The question is, are you happy with the results?
    Kyle

My Cars
    '01 Mustang GT
    Lookin forward to seeing the updates! *thumbs up*

1995 525iT. 178k miles. SOLD
    1991 535i/5. 154k miles. SOLD
    2001 Mustang GT. Current.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    As far as the carpets go, well, they look great. Like perfect new black carpets. How long will they stay that way? No idea. The car is disassembled and likely won't be driven again until at least spring.

In other news, I made part of an intercooler end tank last night. Lol. Just sad how slow I am. Oh well it will pick up steam.

Does anyone have a source for header flanges other than stainlessheaders.com or the crazy 3d machined ones that are like $400?

So on to some intercooler pics. Basically, the 6"x20"x5" core fits great using an aftermarket 12" tall condenser. The only other tricky thing is I have to route the IC pipes almost kind where the brake duct openings are. The reason for this is because I can sneak them under the fog lights. My car came with a really mint set of projector fogs and since this will be a daily I really want to keep stuff like that, and there's not space to go over the fogs. There's still room for some custom brake ducting in the future as well.

So here's how i personally mock up an end tank,

Then make this, this part is kinda shaped like a bowtie before it is bent:

Then make a front and back plate:

Them weld it up and cut a hole in it:

How it fits in the car (kinda):

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Looking good! You doing the welding yourself? What setup you using?

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Thanks. Yeah I have a miller dynasty 200dx. I like welding aluminum but I'm very rusty, I just don't do it enough, so I try to find excuses to do it. Lol. I'm much more comfortable with stainless. At any rate it'll do the job and it'll clean up ok I think.

Wife is out tonight so I should get the 2nd tank done and maybe a little piping as well. Also I think my clutch arrived today! Woo!

My Cars
    '89 535i/5 speed
    Ok the intercooler is offically done. Well I need to fully weld it, but it's all tacked up and fits great.

The end tanks and entries done:

Mocked up with the bumper off:

Installed! (kinda, it's sitting a bit crooked becuase I need to make some little brackets to secure it still.

Installed with the fogs kinda just sitting in the buckets. I am going to trim the black covers that sit inboard of the fogs as well to give it a nice clean look.

Also my clutch came in. I got a Centerforce Dual Friction - has the nifty weights on the pressure plate and a disc that's organic on one side and had 8 pucks (kevlar or something) on the other. I've driven them in other vehicles and they seem a nice compromise between streetability and torque holding.

Pressure plate w/ funky weights:

Disc, normal side:

Disc, side with "pucks":

Should be interesting.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast