Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best LED License Plate Option?

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Hmm was about to order Umnitza's V4s and then the shipping charge of $11 came up . Sorry but that kills an otherwise good deal. $11 to ship two bulbs to the Midwest from California is just silly.

My Cars
    02 E39 530i
    If it matters they ship it securely in a small box rather just some bubbled up envelope that can fold and take impact ruining your bulbs...

Still USPS + Box cost still shouldn't be $11 for parcel post....$5~6 max =)

My Cars
    M5, E61
    It should be $6 - our system has a hard time differentiating the costs on larger items that are actually 1lb.
    Just mention that the cost is $11 on the comments and we'll credit you the difference.

My Cars
    02 E39 530i
    Can I get credit for an order I already received?

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Just email us, we'll be able to handle it by Monday when SEMA is over

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Got my festoon bulbs from superbrightleds. They threw codes & flickered, but I went to Radio Shack and spent $10 on 2 x 4700uF capacitors and 2 x 8 ohm/20W resistors (1/ea per side); wired 'em in parallel and codes/flicker are gone. Been about a month so far.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
    Just email us, we'll be able to handle it by Monday when SEMA is over

Thanks for the explanation! I was about to bust your chops for taking until today (Wed) to ship my order, that was placed back on Saturday. Now I understand...you guys are catching up. I'll let it slide this time...lol

Of course the bulbs will arrive while I am in Vegas this weekend, so everyone will have to standby until next week to see my post/report on the V4 led license plate bulbs.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    We're short 3 guys this week and working like crazy
    if we shipped today, you will get by Friday, hope you get by then.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Hey, bulbs arrived today!! You actually shipped on Monday, but sent me a notification on Wednesday...they arrived today, Thursday. These fit very easily inside the stock BMW license plate bulb housings...I angled the bulbs very slightly back and toward the license plate so I don't overly illuminate the bumper. lol Very bright, though probably not quite as bright as the Racing Dash Enterprises version. But more than bright enough. No flickering or codes. I am hopeful they will last longer than the RDE product, which also had no flickering or codes...then 18 months later started going wonky. Thank you for the quick service and reasonable price and your confidence inspiring warranty. Best wishes!
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Has anyone had any issues with http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTEC-BMW-LED...#ht_5260wt_881

Cree LED's so they must be pretty dam good

My Cars
    E92 335i, 135i, M3, 540i
    I've got some here that you should also take a look at

24-LED License Plate Lamps by City Vision Lighting (E82/E88/E9X/E39/E60/E70)
    http://www.modbargains.com/24-LED-BM...90-E92-E39.htm

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly via PM, email or simply give me a call at:

714.582.3330 Extension 8002 - Jurrian
    Jurrian@modbargains.com

We Specialize In: BMW Wheels | | BMW Exhaust | ESM wheels | Forgestar Wheels | BC Racing Coilovers | HRE FlowForm |
    ModBargains
    | Sales@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)

My Cars
    M5, E61
    We've got some news to report.

Starting Dec 1st, we will be introducing V5. This is going to incorporate only 4 LED - not 6 like have now. Each single LED produces 8X the lumen output of the V4 LED.

The output is so dramatically different, that it's amazing that it's done with such small LED. it will be available for the same price as the V4 (because we are able to use fewer LED). Still no errors, still no failures.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    No, but I have some flashlights with various Cree leds and I would be seriously concerned with heat, and want to know what sort of heatsink or insulation they are using. Otherwise, long term, I would be concerned with both the thing burning itself out, and the housing melting or gettting brittle and falling apart...

The super high output leds are great performing, but get very hot.

My Cars
    just germans
    I honestly dont understand why people would want "the brightest" LED lights in there license plates..... I tried some LEDs in there ( cant remember the brand) one of them failed so I just have them disconnected for now.... to be honest, I like the "no light" look in the rear at night... and cops here dont give a sh!t about that,

to be honest, what I would really want in something "identical" to the OEM BMW Leds.--- any one have this?
    2001 BMW 540i E39
    Lots of mods and more to come...

under construcion
    ... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1204241
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTempoLimit View Post
    so I have "Master's Degree in Tail Happy", with a minor in "spinning out and somehow not hitting anything".

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by OJwerks View Post
    I honestly dont understand why people would want "the brightest" LED lights in there license plates..... I tried some LEDs in there ( cant remember the brand) one of them failed so I just have them disconnected for now.... to be honest, I like the "no light" look in the rear at night... and cops here dont give a sh!t about that,

to be honest, what I would really want in something "identical" to the OEM BMW Leds.--- any one have this?
    Sorry, you are in the minority...and manufacturers and retailers cater to the masses, who are asking for brighter "look at me" LED lights...

My Cars
    2002 ///M5 Carbon/Black
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Sorry, you are in the minority...and manufacturers and retailers cater to the masses, who are asking for brighter "look at me" LED lights...
    Well Put.. How are those v4's? My WeissLicht Leds are holding up pretty good, there really bright and white, minor hue of blue if any.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Left town immediatley after installing (friday)...will report back when I return. Crap weather in Vegas right now....

But my initial impressions I posted above....plenty bright (though perhaps slightly less bright than Racing Dash Enterprises), no flickering, no codes. TIME is the big factor for me...how long will they last? So far, I have not had good luck with the various versions that come with replacement housings. I tried one with 24 leds (Mtech?) and had failures withing one day of installation...started flickering and dimming on one side, then throwing codes. Replacements did the exact same thing again. The RDE were great (18 led), until the 18th month point, then same flickering, dimming on one side and codes.

Umnitza claims all of the versions with replacement housings have similar longevity issues, and that his versions which only include the replacement festoon bulb are superior. Time will tell... My experience definitely supports his conclusion there is a design fault in the replacement housing versions.
    Last edited by f355spider; 11-06-2011 at 03:01 PM.

My Cars
    E39, E46M
    My Umnitzas have been running strong for over 2 years. And no, I'm not related to the company in any way.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    i've got the reversing camera that replaces one of the light housings and has a VERY small LED integrated into the camera housing. I have replaced the globe on the other side with a festoon LED - but it is now so much brighter than the weak light coming from the camera that it just looks foolish.

any ideas?

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    The only issue I have with the Umnitza V4 LED tail light bulbs is they are a bit more bluish than the R Dash Enterprises. I am curious if their new V5 version are a bit "whiter" than the V4? If so, I would be interested in trying them. Can't find the V5 on their website...not available yet??
    Last edited by f355spider; 02-02-2012 at 12:33 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, S123Benz
    I bought mine from ijdmtoy.com, they are ridiculously bright. Yet they have a nice pure white output with no blue, I love them so far.
    2000 Alpine White M5 on 06SW complete black sport leather: Muffler delete, eibach rear sway, Mk4 nav, bm53, oem aux, 16:9, euro lci headlights, celis tails, carbon rear diffuser
    1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD Turbo wagon 4 speed swapped lowered, zender and AMG goodies
    2013 F-150 EcoBoost: Corsa DB, Osram CBI, LEDs, llumar tint (Gone)
    2004 Ford Ranger 5 speed (Gone)
    2001 525i 5 speed (Gone)

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by exbenz View Post
    I bought mine from ijdmtoy.com, they are ridiculously bright. Yet they have a nice pure white output with no blue, I love them so far.
    I see they offer at least 3 different bulbs and one complete replacement housing (like the Racing Dash Enterprises)....which specifically did you purchase?

My Cars
    '02 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OJwerks View Post

+1 ...While we may be in the minority as it appears in this thread, I agree with you...
    I have no desire to illuminate my license plate beyond what would be the bare minimum legal requirement. I want it to be locally illuminated on the license plate only and as subtle as possible...

I disagree about cops no caring about "no light" however... As ridiculous as it may sound, I've had a sheriff (Texas) pull me over for dim license plate lights on a previous E39 (I think he was fishing for DWI drivers)... I'm sure it depends on where you live.

To each their own though and what a boring world it would be if we all held the same opinion. Best.

My Cars
    2002 ///M5 Carbon/Black
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    I see they offer at least 3 different bulbs and one complete replacement housing (like the Racing Dash Enterprises)....which specifically did you purchase?
    I think that exbenz guy works for ijdmtoy, I see alot of post he makes that says that. By the way I tryed those festoon bulbs from ijdmtoy and they are garbage. They started burning out within a month they threw codes. Ill never buy anything from them.

My Cars
    M5, E61

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast