Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emissions Station can't communicate with car

My Cars
    MCp, 4x4, horse
    Quote Originally Posted by fire2 View Post
    LoL. --Whats funny is that you asked inquisitively in one post if this was on all OBD11 or just the ZM3 and after you were given a best of
    knowledge answer (part guess) you came back with all this knowledge and experience on the subject ???
    I've only done a dozen or so cars, some American, some Euro, but all certainly OBDII. I only have the connector for OBDII setup.

My question relates to the ones I've done vs. my MZ3 because I've never messed with the M by resetting it on the way to an emission check. I am trying to get setup to run catless for the track w/out installing EOL termination resistors for the O2 sensors and wondered how it would potentially effect my emissions check. Most people here restore their setups a day or so prior to inspection, clear fault lights, and pass with out issue and then go back to catless again. So to answer your question; my "knowledge" is the cars I've done. My "inquisitiveness" is for the ones I want to do.

The automotive folks for Ford have chimed in on other forums with the formulas/logic tables and number of cycles that their computers require to both start registering data as well as trigger the next CEL. I would like to have this data for BMW.
    Quote Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
    What year M3?
    Quote Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
    I'm honestly so surprised by how finicky these cars can be. I've owned American muscle cars my whole life and fixing their problems is so much more straight forward.
    Agree wholeheartedly..

Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    ODBII readers can check readiness of your systems. A "drive cycle" is what's required to get things going again after any resets or clearings. This isn't necessarily "20 miles" or something similar. It's a series of driving situations, stop/go, highway speed, and often re-starts. My understanding is it's different for each manufacturer.
    missed this reply in my last response - I have gathered the same understanding from other manufacturers. The cycles can sometimes be up to the last 80 averaged start and stop engine cycles before the next DTC/MIL CEL trigger. (nvm.. automerge FTW)
    Last edited by Mbryo; 10-19-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    F/I'd Silver/Black MCp

(All your ///MCoupe are belong to us..)

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Well... all 98+ OBD II cars shouldn't get away with resetting codes before an emissions check. I didn't even know that was possible with any OBD II cars, and to clarify, that's not what I did here. I just cleared a code back in June and haven't seen it since.

It was a faulty cat code which seemed odd for a car with 20k miles. If it comes back, I'll replace the cats.

From what I understand of these cars, if you can't connect to the computer at the emissions station then you need to perform the recall again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbryo View Post
    I am trying to get setup to run catless for the track w/out installing EOL termination resistors for the O2 sensors and wondered how it would potentially effect my emissions check. Most people here restore their setups a day or so prior to inspection, clear fault lights, and pass with out issue and then go back to catless again.
    Why don't you want to run resistors (O2 simulators)? Or just set the O2 monitor to permanent readiness in a tune? I ran simulators on the LS1 until it was tuned with HP Tuners.

To answer your question, if you don't run them you will have no chance of passing an emissions check. And it seems like a total waste of your time to swap the exhaust and cycle the computer just for a one day emissions check.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbryo View Post
    I would like to have this data for BMW.
    No hard number but they say "an hour of normal driving"

Whatever that means.
    Last edited by f50nut; 10-19-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    MCp, 4x4, horse
    Good info, and see your point. I live in the only county in the state that runs emission checks and I do it on a 2yr cycle... cumbersome but doable.
    F/I'd Silver/Black MCp

(All your ///MCoupe are belong to us..)

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Update - passed inspection today

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Convertible
    I'm having a very similar issue with a 2003 M3 SMG convertible. I took my it to the dealership to have an emissions recall completed (SI B12 22 08). They tried a number of times/ways but are unable to get the M3 to communicate. They have tried various diagnostic tools, but can't get a response. Service manager says they don't know how it's even running (or why it runs so well). Coincidentally, I've never been able to communicate with my own diagnostic tools outside of a cheap little hand scanner. Is the DME "flashable" even though there's no communication?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by icm3 View Post
    I'm having a very similar issue with a 2003 M3 SMG convertible. I took my it to the dealership to have an emissions recall completed (SI B12 22 08). They tried a number of times/ways but are unable to get the M3 to communicate. They have tried various diagnostic tools, but can't get a response. Service manager says they don't know how it's even running (or why it runs so well). Coincidentally, I've never been able to communicate with my own diagnostic tools outside of a cheap little hand scanner. Is the DME "flashable" even though there's no communication?

Thanks!
    I had the same issue. This is a recall and you need to have your DME flashed with updated software. Go back to the dealership and have them pull the records. Even if they say it's been flashed ask them to perform the recall again, that's what I went through at the stealership. Read through this thread.

Also read this:

Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    Two things, it said no comunication, not that codes were not read. This is a recall and does not cost anything to customer. Please read.
    | Log Out | HelpDOUG S FOREIGN CAR SVC
    DOUG S FOREIGN 00001

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's ReferenceComponent Search: Conversion Calculator 2002 BMW M3 Coupe (E46) L6-3.2L (S54)

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Recall 06E-A03 - DME Programming for OBD Communication Recall 06E-A03 - DME Programming for OBD Communication SI B12 11 06
    Engine Electrical Systems
    October 2007
    Technical Service
    This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B12 11 06 December 2006.
    [NEW] designates changes to this revision
    PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.
    SUBJECT
    Voluntary Emissions Recall 06E-A03: S62, S54 - DME Reprogramming for OBD Communication
    MODEL
    Z3 M roadster/coupe with S54
    E46 M3 coupe/convertible with S54 up to 8/27/04 production
    E52 Z8 with S62
    E39 M5 with S62
    SITUATION
    In certain conditions, when the ignition is switched off and on again, the OBD communication cannot be established between the MSS52, or MSS54 DMEs and the generic scan tools. As a result, MY '00-04 vehicles equipped with Motorsport S62 and S54 engines may not be able to pass a state emission inspection where the testing procedure consists of scanning OBD readiness codes.
    OBD communication and on-board diagnostic is always possible when using BMW DIS or GT1 testers.
    In order to remedy the situation, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to reprogram engine control units (DME) on all affected vehicles.
    AFFECTED VEHICLES
    This Recall Campaign involves MY '01-'03 Z3 M roadster/coupe vehicles with S54 engines, MY '00 -'03 Z8 and M5 vehicles with S62 engines, and M3 coupe/convertible vehicles with S54 engines which were produced from series introduction up to 08/27/2004.
    In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Recall Campaign, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of the DCS (Dealer Communication System). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.
    Last edited by f50nut; 02-24-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Convertible
    Actually, they say the recall/update has never been applied. Just wondering if it's still "flashable" even though they can't get it t communicate.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by icm3
    Actually, they say the recall/update has never been applied. Just wondering if it's still "flashable" even though they can't get it t communicate.

Thanks!
    Yes it's 100% possible. It is communicating, just not sending emissions back to the computer. The old software leaves 2 pins disabled in the diagnostic port. The flash corrects this.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Convertible
    Well, they figured it out. Both the steering angle sensor and left headlight control unit were preventing the vehicle bus from communicating. Nothing $1400 won't fix. They are completing the recall now that the car is communicating.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Well, they figured it out. Both the steering angle sensor and left headlight control unit were preventing the vehicle bus from communicating. Nothing $1400 won't fix. They are completing the recall now that the car is communicating.
    Sounds like BS.

They tried to do the same thing to me except my bill would have been $3000.

By the way they made me pay for the recall work to be done. I bet they didn't even file the paperwork for the recall.

If I were you I'd bring it to another dealer and tell them you want the recall done and nothing else. See what they say.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Convertible
    The steering angle sensor is legitimate. I've had issues on and off with the DSC, brake and SMG lights coming on. As for the headlight control unit, I can get one cheap enough and it's an easy enough installation that I'll do it myself. Don't really want to touch the steering angle sensor though.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    The steering angle sensor is legitimate. I've had issues on and off with the DSC, brake and SMG lights coming on. As for the headlight control unit, I can get one cheap enough and it's an easy enough installation that I'll do it myself. Don't really want to touch the steering angle sensor though.
    Yeah I hear that, but I'd be surprised if that stuff was preventing them from flashing the DME

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Let me get this straight. You asked the dealer to flash the DME but they fooled around doing other things that did not fix the problem. Then charged you two hours for the 5 minute process you asked for in the first place. I think I would be standing on top the the service managers desk peeing all over him.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Let me get this straight. You asked the dealer to flash the DME but they fooled around doing other things that did not fix the problem. Then charged you two hours for the 5 minute process you asked for in the first place. I think I would be standing on top the the service managers desk peeing all over him.
    +1

I wouldn't pay NOTHING and tell them to come after you for it. Talk to BMW NA. An uneducated service writer is not your problem.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Convertible
    I did speak to BMW corporate. It is what it is. I'm just happy that I'll be able to connect to the car with my diagnostic setup now. Thanks for all of the ideas/replies.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    BMW NA is useless. I called them when the dealer did this to me and they said there's nothing they can do about it.

Long story short is an educated owner is the BMW service department's worst nightmare, because they can't gouge you for power steering lines and tires and ball joints and sensors and other shit you probably don't need.

Luckily I caught them before they had the chance to do all of that work (to the tune of $3300 - my car has 23k on the clock and truly has none of those things wrong with it), and told them do NOT touch the car in any way except for flashing the DME.

I followed up with the dealer and they said I wouldn't be getting my refund. Not to mention they damaged two of my wheels, kept my fuse box cover and knocked one of my M badges off. I was LIVID. Oh yeah and they locked out my radio, and gave me incorrect security codes for 2 weeks.

Got them to agree to repair one of the wheels which I'll be doing soon. If that doesn't go smoothly I'll be following up with BMW NA for what it's worth and I'll smear their name all over the BMW community.
    Last edited by f50nut; 02-24-2012 at 03:47 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M COUPE
    Please PM me the dealer,as I work for one.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    Please PM me the dealer,as I work for one.
    sent

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    If you pay for service at a dealership with plastic you can then contest it if they do work you did not want or need. Had a carb kit put in a car one time and I drove down the road about one mile and it started spewing white smoke. I never figured out how the mechanic blew my head gasket but my CC company took me seriously and never paid them. I did have the expense of a new head gasket though.
    -Marshall

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    I have a dumb question and not sure if this is related. I just bought a 1995 325i and needed to get a smog certificate to complete title transfer. While driving the car a check engine light came on and the little battery symbol was appearing in the dash. I had to take it to a test only center. The car failed. The guy said he looked the other way regarding the check engine light and it failed on the emissions test. The car died on my way home and I believe my alternator is bad. Would this in any way be related to my failed smog. Here are the numbers from the smog test

HC(PPM)
    (MAX)85 - Measured - 134

CO(%)
    (MAX) .34 - Measured .86

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkemotopros View Post
    I have a dumb question and not sure if this is related. I just bought a 1995 325i and needed to get a smog certificate to complete title transfer. While driving the car a check engine light came on and the little battery symbol was appearing in the dash. I had to take it to a test only center. The car failed. The guy said he looked the other way regarding the check engine light and it failed on the emissions test. The car died on my way home and I believe my alternator is bad. Would this in any way be related to my failed smog. Here are the numbers from the smog test

HC(PPM)
    (MAX)85 - Measured - 134

CO(%)
    (MAX) .34 - Measured .86
    This is not related to the problem I had with the DME.

But yes it's possible. Did you pull the codes that threw the CEL? You could have a low voltage code if the alternator was on its way out. Not exactly sure if or how that would cause a smog issue but there are really dozens of possibilities. Low voltage to O2's or mass air for example.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    No I don't have a scanner to pull codes. I removed the battery and put a different one in and the check engine light went away. I am going to have the alternator situation taken care of first and see if that resolves the smog issue. Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkemotopros View Post
    No I don't have a scanner to pull codes. I removed the battery and put a different one in and the check engine light went away. I am going to have the alternator situation taken care of first and see if that resolves the smog issue. Thanks for the reply.
    After the alternator is replaced, drive the car for a few cycles and see if the light comes back.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Replaced the alternator and it passed smog. Thank you for your assistance. Now to fix the reclining seat gear. LOL

My Cars
    2000 bmw 540I

Problem with my ECU.

I have a 2000 540I and i'm having a hard time getting it smog. I change my speedometer about 2 yrs ago and notice that my on board computer wasn't working. then I knew that guy from ebay sold me the wrong year. always just recently my speedometer and radio shut down at the same time and it never came back on again. I'm trying to get the car smog but they cannot get a connection from my ECU. I took it to the shop and they cannot figure out why it's not getting power. I can't get any codes at all. Please help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast