Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bought a salvage M Roadie yesterday

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Looking great! If you still need an Amber bumper marker I'd be happy to stick one in the mail. The only problem is that I had to reuse the spring clip that holds it in on my new lights so you would need to get one or fab something up to hold it in. The plastic itself is perfect.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    Looking great! If you still need an Amber bumper marker I'd be happy to stick one in the mail. The only problem is that I had to reuse the spring clip that holds it in on my new lights so you would need to get one or fab something up to hold it in. The plastic itself is perfect.
    Yeah, I got a couple of free ones from another member, but the plastic was chipped--still a good deal for shipping as he threw in Whalen seat bushings too. I have the spring clip, and would appreciate it--PM me a price and shipping.

Thanks.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Yeah, I got a couple of free ones from another member, but the plastic was chipped--still a good deal for shipping as he threw in Whalen seat bushings too. I have the spring clip, and would appreciate it--PM me a price and shipping.

Thanks.
    Free, PM sent

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Just some quick shots of the paint job in the sun:

My Cars
    z3
    I woulda painted it Calypso Rot

Car looks beautiful, you did some great work on it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    See my signature
    I love this thread
    BMW
    1988 E30 M3: (STOLEN) Zinnabarot/Tan
    1991 850Ci (SOLD): Euro spec, Black/Black, Wokke Chips, Remus Exhaust, ACS Body Kit, 3.91 LSD
    1999 M Coupe (SOLD): (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, RE SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, Hi-perf. chip, Vibrant exhaust rear diffuser, ACS Type II Race wheels
    2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) JET Black/Black, UUC SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, SS Powerflo headers/Custom Exhaust, 3.73 LSD, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
    2006 Mini Cooper S: Hyper Blue/white Top/blue-charcoal interior, Alta Supercharger pulley/cold air intake/light Crank pulley, Headers, OBX exhaust (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8, 91 Volvo 940 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer MXM View Post
    I love this thread
    + eleventy-billion

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    Looks awesome- you present a solid argument for a nice respray.

-dan

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    We should start a "I saved an M roady from the salvage" club.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
    We should start a "I saved an M roady from the salvage" club.
    Too right--these cars deserve to be saved. Wouldn't it be fun to retire and restore Z's in a dedicated shop? Randy has got that down for the most part, but a full restoration shop would be a blast.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Too right--these cars deserve to be saved. Wouldn't it be fun to retire and restore Z's in a dedicated shop? Randy has got that down for the most part, but a full restoration shop would be a blast.
    I'm sure Randy is heading that way with his new house/shop there.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    I wonder if the PO has seen this rebuild along the way?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SNR727 View Post
    I wonder if the PO has seen this rebuild along the way?
    If so, chirp up--I'd love to get some prior history. Car is out of Long Island and suffered in last year's big hurricane.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ok, getting to the home stretch now. The body is all back together with the exception of installing the rear bumper (which I had off to make it easier to replace the training arm). Rear trailing arm replaced, and the top installed:

Just a little reminder, a tree fell on it:

Now it's just put the interior back together, put the rear bumper on and it's done. Oh, and put in a new rear window.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 09-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.

My Cars
    98 MZ3
    Looks fantastic! Nice job!

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    You really have done a great job. I love that you went in deep & got down into the little details too. It's been a great thread to follow.

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, R1100RS, R90/6
    Thanks again for sharing Ralph. Car looks great and your buddy is lucky to have such a good friend!
    John
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 5 speed
    2007 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 6 speed
    1971 Chevrolet Vega V8 4 speed
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R
    1995 BMW R1100RS
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1992 ATK 406
    Assorted Bultacos scattered about

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Put in the back window today:

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8, 91 Volvo 940 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley
    Put in the back window today:
    Whoa! Time out! Is it just me or is that larger than the OEM window? Sure looks like it. If so, nice job and please post details!

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber66 View Post
    Whoa! Time out! Is it just me or is that larger than the OEM window? Sure looks like it. If so, nice job and please post details!
    Nope, same size. It's an emiata though, so the tape and masking is for gluing down the flap. 2nd emaita I've installed now, and I am really impressed with it--better than OEM. I have the gluing down now--it's all about the masking and doing the corners last. Anyway, if it looks bigger than OEM, it's only because of my cheap camera.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Looks great Ralph. Did you install the top yourself?

My Cars
    2004 X3 88 M3 83 323i
    That looks great!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    Looks great Ralph. Did you install the top yourself?
    Yes, but I swapped the complete top and frame as a unit off the parts car--much easier than replacing the cloth from what I gather. So it's an OEM top--all it needed was a window. I say yes, but obviously I had help, as it is a two man job--that's why no pics of the process.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I did the same tape job when I installed the emiata window. That was the longest part of the process but totally necessary in order not to get a drop of glue on anything. Nice job.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles
    I did the same tape job when I installed the emiata window. That was the longest part of the process but totally necessary in order not to get a drop of glue on anything. Nice job.
    Thanks, we seem to be on parallel maintenance tracks--check with me before you buy any special tools, I have several at this point. Check out my thread on the fan exploding--you may find it of interest.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast