Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Bought a salvage M Roadie yesterday

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I only met Jack for one day but he was a genuine person. I know how much you liked him. So sorry Ralph. Tonight I'll have a drink and a toast in his honor.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Ralph that is amazing. I never saw this thread before. When I saw the original pictures I knew most that stuff would not just buff out lol. I admire the job you did here. I'm jealous. I wish I could do something like that. You must be really proud.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    My friend Jack, who features in this thread and rebuilt this car, died last night after a long fight with cancer. He could fix absolutely anything, except that.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jack. I obviously did not know him but I definitely feel like we would have been friendly just based on your post alone.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    I only met Jack for one day but he was a genuine person. I know how much you liked him. So sorry Ralph. Tonight I'll have a drink and a toast in his honor.
    Thanks Chris, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    Ralph that is amazing. I never saw this thread before. When I saw the original pictures I knew most that stuff would not just buff out lol. I admire the job you did here. I'm jealous. I wish I could do something like that. You must be really proud.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jack. I obviously did not know him but I definitely feel like we would have been friendly just based on your post alone.
    The car came out perfect--exactly as it rolled off the line. Jack was an artist--Cleveland Institute of Art--and a marine--and it showed in his work. I was proud to work with him--we rebuilt more cars together than I can count, and we had a blast. I spent today in his shop putting things away, and reminiscing. It was an honor and a privilege to know and work with him, and I was very lucky to have a run of 25 years of that friendship. The last several months have been very tough--watching the cancer drain his strength, power, and finally his will to fight. He was at least 220 lbs when it started--at age 70 still mostly muscle--and 130 lbs at the end. It's been a rough year so far for me--we found out my wife has cancer at Christmas--she underwent major surgery removing half her liver in February--I got back from MD Anderson in Houston with her a week ago Thursday, and Jack was rushed into the Cleveland Clinic the next day. I was there every day until he died. I was his medical power of attorney and had to make a very difficult decision at the end. I looked at my ///M still in winter storage today, and didn't even uncover it--75 degrees and sunny--that's some indication of how I'm feeling.

My Cars
    96 Z3 2000 Z3 96 528
    Sorry it looks like a total to me. Parts car. any update??? Ed with a salvage 2000 Z3 also. daytime running lights always on ??? relay or amateur work before I got it last Feb 2017 Not yet on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, the updates just appeared. Beautiful job. Good work, I am in awe. Ed

My Cars
    96 Z3 2000 Z3 96 528
    Take the car out, you will feel better. Jack would insist on it is my feeling.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I was rereading this thread just now and reminiscing about my friend Jack, and this job, and I see my last post was exactly 4 years ago and a day. In that post I reflected on how 2017 was a hard year, with Jack passing of cancer, and my wife being diagnosed with it and undergoing emergency surgery. My wife finally succumbed to that cancer exactly one week ago today. I'm not seeking condolences--I know you all express them--it's just funny how life is sometimes. Anyway, re-reading this thread made me smile, and that is enough for me.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Sorry man, its tough.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    I'm sorry brother. the memories we make are the greatest gift from those that pass.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Hope we fourm members can provide some comfort in these moments.

My Cars
    z3
    I'm having a bit of trouble sleeping at this moment... I think re-reading this thread would be a good way to kill some time.

I know you werent seeking them but, my condolences Ralph. Hopefully the memories of their lives being well lived and well loved eases the pain of the losses

My Cars
    z3
    Great read, think this was the first time I read through it all in one sitting.

I'm curious too... Do you happen to know know whats happened to this car since Jack's passing? Is it still with you, or maybe Jack's family?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Great read, think this was the first time I read through it all in one sitting.

I'm curious too... Do you happen to know know whats happened to this car since Jack's passing? Is it still with you, or maybe Jack's family?
    Hi Graham--thank you (and TexaZ3 and IndianaRoadster)--Jack's widow gave it to me--it's a trickle charged garage queen now. I take it out and drive it a few times a year on perfect days--I try to move a half a tank of gas or so through it a year--and change the oil annually. It gets cleaned more than it gets driven I'm afraid, but I love my own ///M so much, it's hard to drive anything else when the weather is nice. Jack's cancer (esophageal) came on without warning and was very aggressive, it did not leave him time to put his affairs in order--he managed to find homes for his cats (he rescued cats), show me where everything was, and sign what I put in front of him, but little else. I was able to do him one last solid in that, being his attorney as well as his friend, I relieved him of any stress or anxiety on that account--he knew everything would get handled. I took care of Jack's estate for his widow and sold the shop, tools, and equipment for her. Per a pinky swear we made many years before, I smoked my last cigarette at his funeral--we never stopped competing over who would do the other the bigger solid--he won.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Ralph

We have never met.

I read this thread start to finish this morning.

The friendship you shared is inspiring.

I am very sorry for your losses and thank you for telling your story. You have brought me to tears in the best of ways and helped me to remember how precious life and our relationships are.

God bless you.

Sincerely,

Steve
    Steve
    Alexandria, VA
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8

2020 BMW 230ix (Convertible)
    2015 MINI Cooper S (Convertible)
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    It's a beautiful thing, how our mutual passions and hobbies trump our differences and bring us together as human beings. The world needs more connections like this. Thanks for documenting a wonderful friendship.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Ralph,
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. But I am also glad that I did have the opportunity to meet you, Jack and your wonderful wife.
    Good to know that you where there for Jack when he needed you the most and able to help keep his mind at ease.
    Maybe we'll meet again sometimes. I still have family in your area that I visit occasionally.

Wayne B.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by WB-MZ View Post
    Ralph,
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. But I am also glad that I did have the opportunity to meet you, Jack and your wonderful wife.
    Good to know that you where there for Jack when he needed you the most and able to help keep his mind at ease.
    Maybe we'll meet again sometimes. I still have family in your area that I visit occasionally.

Wayne B.

Hi Wayne, I remember our meal fondly--please contact me when you're in the area next; it would be great to do it again. You are a man of few posts--I am honored.

Hello Claude and Steve, thank you for your sentiments--reading this thread from start to finish is a project in and of itself--thank you. Now you have to read Graham's Dunklenator thread from start to present

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567