Thread: z4 smg dead, showing F1 on the gear indicator

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4

z4 smg dead, showing F1 on the gear indicator

greetings bimmer forum!

so i have this here newish-to-me 2005 z4 SMG, and it refuses to start. turning the key results in nothing. well, the car makes its normal obnoxious beeping sounds, and the dash lights up like christmas, but the engine won't turn. for a moment, i did see the gear indicator display "F1", which i've never noticed before.

normally when i unlock the car, i can hear what i assume are the gear servos going, but that doesn't happen now. even when i "shift" into neutral, the car remains in gear; no amount of huffing or puffing will move it.

thinking it might be a weak battery i tried jumping it and even had a tow truck out to jump it but that changed nothing. so i'm wondering, is this an SMG failure blocking the starter? has anyone encountered something like this?

and how do i tow this badboy? i'm in a parking structure where a flat bed won't fit, though with the gearbox frozen it seems that a flatbed couldn't haul it up anyway. backward is ok? they will tie down the steering?

thanks!

My Cars
    German
    how many miles and has the battery ever been replaced? might be smg relay

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0SI w/sport
    I think if you try to tow it backwards, I think you'll loose your front airdam.

The tow-trucks should have slides or dolly's that they can put under the wheel to move it. Likewise, you can find two industrial dolly's, jack up the car yourself and lower each wheel down onto the dolly .. ... then push it into the open for the tow truck.

It's only 750# per wheel.

Ang

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    $1275.00 SMG Control module, installed, $120.00 Transmission Relay Switch. My 2003 3.01i allowed me. To limp 35 miles after sitting 24 Hrs, to the Indy shop. Runs like new now. 740000 miles at the time.

That's 3.0i...
    Last edited by BigEee; 10-13-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4
    Thanks so much for the advice guys..
    I went back today, and it started right up as if nothing had happened! On the way to the shop, I did get a warning beep, and then the transmission got stuck in first for a while. So, I guess I'm looking at some costly SMG repairs but still waiting to hear back from the mechanic. 90k miles, so maybe it's time for the tranny to go.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z-4 2.5i
    This happened to me about 6 months ago. My car was in a parking spot so i couldn't start it at all. They sent a repo-style truck and dollied the front end since there was no way to roll it on a flat bed. F1 is the error code.

It can be a $10 relay or a much more expensive pump. In my case, it was both and cost me $1,100 at BMW of Dallas. It happened on a Friday night and my regular indy guy was away racing so I had to tow it to the dealer. They gave me a 3 series convertible loaner and I knew that after having that car for 5 days there was no way they were going to call and say it was just the relay.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    The tranny itself is probably fine... just the electronic control unit or relay is bad. I'm presently at 56k miles on my 2003 3.0 SMG and my electronic have been good so far. Just getting a little clutch clatter when cold.

Anyone have the clutch replaced yet on an SMG? thinking it shouldn't be any different than any other manual tranny.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    Z4, 525i
    I know this post is old at this point, but I just wanted to share with everyone that searches for "SMG" that I had a similar problem. If the car gets "stuck" in gear, you can have someone in the driver's seat manipulate the stick and have someone else rock the car back and forth. This freed up the tranny. Was able to get it into Neutral in order to get it on the flatbed tow truck. Second issue: The whinning noise you hear is the SMG's hydraulic pump that needs to come up to pressure in order to operate. My dealer when against the service manual recommendations and just replaced the pump. It has worked perfectly ever since.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z-4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdriver View Post
    I know this post is old at this point, but I just wanted to share with everyone that searches for "SMG" that I had a similar problem. If the car gets "stuck" in gear, you can have someone in the driver's seat manipulate the stick and have someone else rock the car back and forth. This freed up the tranny. Was able to get it into Neutral in order to get it on the flatbed tow truck. Second issue: The whinning noise you hear is the SMG's hydraulic pump that needs to come up to pressure in order to operate. My dealer when against the service manual recommendations and just replaced the pump. It has worked perfectly ever since.
    Wish I'd known that trick when mine went out. I love the whining sound, especially if I click the remote while someone is walking by the car. Freaks most people out. :-)

My Cars
    bmw e65
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEee View Post
    $1275.00 SMG Control module, installed, $120.00 Transmission Relay Switch. My 2003 3.01i allowed me. To limp 35 miles after sitting 24 Hrs, to the Indy shop. Runs like new now. 740000 miles at the time.

That's 3.0i...
    Where's is the location of the relay can you show me the picture bec. It's very confusing, I check online the information are incorrect.