Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Buy and Build

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The L-R swap of the strut mounts is done and got an alignment the other day. Got as much negative camber as I could about -2.4 up front. On the rear with very little adjustment so what ever we could get. I'm excited to see how this will now perform.

re-routing of the brake duct lines to try to get the hose completely away from the inner tire side wall. This meant to remove the custom flanges I made that went through the inner liner as that angle put the hose right against the tire after about 1 full turn.

Tied the hose up close to the sway bar and routed these around the liner to get maximum clearance.

We'll find out how well this design works on Sunday at Road Atlanta!

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    Looks great!!! We run the same route up frame to the swaybar and turn. On thing we do different is make the hard tubing longer so when you go to replace the flex tube it is much cheap At $10buck a Foot to replace a 1.5ft section than a 3.5ft section.

Keep up the great work! Im subscribed!
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ahardm3 View Post
    On thing we do different is make the hard tubing longer so when you go to replace the flex tube it is much cheap At $10buck a Foot to replace a 1.5ft section than a 3.5ft section.
    If I had it to do over I would have made my mold at least 2-4 inches longer, but hey, I'm not exactly running a CAD/CAM/CNC based shop

I also thought about molding some tubes that made the turn into the wheel area and those could be mounted to the sway bar bolt or something like that, almost like a plumbing elbow, then the tube is really just expanding for the wheel movement back and forth and has a better angle not having to make the tight bend.

I'll see how this works after Sunday. At this point there is a list of more important items!

My Cars
    96 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMM3 View Post
    I'll see how this works after Sunday.
    You coming to the BMWCCA autox on Sunday? I think you'll find it more enjoyable than local SCCA or PCA events...

have been following your build---looks great!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1866 View Post
    You coming to the BMWCCA autox on Sunday? I think you'll find it more enjoyable than local SCCA or PCA events...

have been following your build---looks great!
    Both my wife and I drive in the ATL SCCA events and have been for years, we enjoy the people and the top level competition. We do hope to take the M3 out to a BMW event in the future just to see what it is like for AutoX. This event conflicts with the SCCA so no go this weekend. Our normal AutoX machine is a Z06 but we want to try out the M3 sometime for fun.

My Cars
    96 m3
    Sounds good!

The local BMW crowd is a great group to run with and it's very laid back. However i'm sure you'll find plenty of 'like' competition. There are 3 or 4 very well set up e36 m3s that run regularly---you would fit right in!

Look forward to seeing you soon.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1866 View Post
    Sounds good!

The local BMW crowd is a great group to run with and it's very laid back. However i'm sure you'll find plenty of 'like' competition. There are 3 or 4 very well set up e36 m3s that run regularly---you would fit right in!

Look forward to seeing you soon.
    Yeah, like I said I'll make it out sometime with the M3 but honestly I bought the M3 as a dedicated track car and all of the setup will be done to maximize the track potential. With that it may not be the most competitive AutoX setup. I wouldn't bother with a cage in an AutoX car as an example.

That is where the Z06 comes in. It is setup move for AutoX and it is a blast to drive. I just didn't want to continue to track that car due to the potential cost of balling it up, consumables, and it is in mint condition (2004 with 11K miles) Both my wife and I do the season pass with SCCA so we are paid in full for all the events so we try to make all those events. Also a cool thing is the PRO class where using the National PAX index we put all type of cars together against some of the best National level competition. I keep chipping away in this PRO group but boy it is tough, but crazy competitive.

Can't wait for a chance to bring the M3 out to a BMW event for fun when the schedule allows. Don't worry I'm on the email list and as soon as I see it I check the schedule to see if I can swing it. But with SCCA AutoX and track events the calendar is getting packed.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    The L-R swap of the strut mounts is done and got an alignment the other day. Got as much negative camber as I could about -2.4 up front.
    BMW sells a 'crash bolt' that replaces the pivot bolt that's used to mount the strut to the uprights/spindles/knuckles. This is a thinner than factory bolt that allows for articulation in the 'camber' axis.

-2.4 is no where near enough. Try -4.4...

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    BMW sells a 'crash bolt' that replaces the pivot bolt that's used to mount the strut to the uprights/spindles/knuckles. This is a thinner than factory bolt that allows for articulation in the 'camber' axis.

-2.4 is no where near enough. Try -4.4...
    Yeah, for reference - my STX car runs between -3.8 and -4.2 degrees of camber (on 200 tread-wear tires).
    Last edited by PrinceE30; 04-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    Maybe I missed - did you swap 95 M3 Hats or swap a set of 96-99 Hats?

The 96-99 M3 Hats on a lowered car have given me between about 3.2-3.6 negative camber (I have done on 3 E36's).

I'm unsure the effect in total, but the 95 M3 hats do not give the same amount of camber and I think the caster is thrown off a bit.

Build is going nicely...I dig it.
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    1995 M3
    OK, we'll after the last track event at Road Atlanta we were done with the rear brakes, so those are getting done with new Hawk HT-10 pads.

But while I was waiting for parts I couldn't help myself to clean stuff up. The cleaned ended in an all out detail and paint I just can't help it!!!!

So the calipers and brackets got cleaned, wire wheeled and painted. Yes I know they will soon be covered in brake dust!

I'm moving on to mounting a Longacre mirror and fire extinguisher.

My Cars
    '95 M3,'04 ZHP, 01 330Ci
    ... So the calipers and brackets got cleaned, wire wheeled and painted. Yes I know they will soon be covered in brake dust!....

I clean the brackets every time I swap pads. Helps the pad backing plates slide and keeps the noise down. I put a dab of synthetic hightemp grease I use on the slides under the ears as well.

Your attension to detail is what makes this thread so damn good! not needed

Chris

My Cars
    1995 M3
    OK, well on to some smaller projects. I wanted to replace the factory mirror for a race mirror but decided to go with a 14" longacre, figured it was god for what I'm doing.

I wanted to use this project to also learn more about my new MIG welding setup. Added a bottle to my small wire feed welder and what a difference.

So wanted to make brackets to mount the mirror to the roll cage bar and wanted it to be as far forward as possible since it is used by two drivers of different size.

Used 16g steel and cut and formed the bracket pieces and then welded it up.

After clean up and paint they came out pretty good.

All the finished brackets and clamps, yes painted!!!

Turned out good, can't wait for the next track event to try it out.

I think I'll be making a couple copies of the brackets to do the same thing on a Lemons Car I'm working on and swap the mirror between the cars.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    More preparation to the car for DE/TT duty. Needed to add a fire extinguisher, so took a standard metal mounting plate and cut a few extension pieces so it could be positioned in between the seat but out of the way. It will mount using two of the existing E-brake bolts.

Welded two plates to the existing mount

Grinded things smooth and primed and painted.

Then installation

The finished product with the extinguisher in place. It's strong and it is close, yet out of the way.

Another thing checked off my list!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Getting ready for an upcoming track day at the new AMP site and follow that with Road Atlanta.

Wanted to get more negative camber in the front with the 255 RS3's so went with shims. Decided to make these since it is so simple. Just used some 16g steel from other projects and made the shims.

Quick install and more camber up front!

Car felt good out at AMP, Both my wife and I ran the car yesterday with the first non-member event at the track. 17 turn course is very technical and fun, you are really working around this course compared to some others. A few pics below.

Me going into turn #6

The co-driver, looking in the Zone!

Going into #1

Ran the car probably about 75-120 total track minutes, started to get the typical "ticking" on the last session with things heating up. Given that we run the car together and it sees plenty of track time, I'm considering to add a oil cooler to see if I can bring the oil temp down just a bit to keep that ticking to a minimum and help the oil out a bit.

Road Atlanta next weekend for a few sessions with the SCCA.

And for those that are looking fro video of the new track, here is video from one of my sessions. Fun track, looking forward to getting back there in June.

[ame="http://youtu.be/Ht4iqfprCWQ"]http://youtu.be/Ht4iqfprCWQ[/ame]
    Last edited by MCMM3; 05-13-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M3
    OK another small project that allows me to practice with the welder. Fabricated a bracket and dead pedal.

The install goes around the roll cage tube that goes to the firewall. Since it is just bolted I can tweek the placement.

I'll know how it feels tomorrow, testing it out on Rd Atl!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Getting ready for SCCA TT event at AMP in early June, wanted to add graphics to change the look a bit from the street car look.

Finished product, not too bad for just a small investment in vinyl graphics

Time Trial Update

Well things went well on day 1 except for more brake pulsing, the car ran well and my times were competitive in the class.

Day 2 things changed, the weather got pretty bad and in fact as I got started on my second session, the rain really came down just as the stewards gave the go signal from grid.

Here things are still OK

Here they are not!!!!

Rain came down very hard and on about my 3rd lap I felt things getting ugly. I said that was it and I was going to sut it down as I completed just the the hot lap I was on. But at the very end of that lap the car got loose onto the front straight at one of the fastest areas and the front end smacked the Armco!

The key thing learned from this session for me is once you have made the decision that it is time to shut it down........... DO IT! Not after another lap, not after another corner, that I feel was my biggest mistake!
    Last edited by MCMM3; 08-03-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Sorry to hear about that, but we all learn from our mistakes especially when it comes to racing
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Damage Assessment

OK, now to see what is trashed and figure out a plan. Got everything off that is twisted and torn to see what remains OK. A couple key things, the engine is running fine, but only for a quick check with no radiator. Also all the frame rail damage appears to be in front of the shock tower area.

I never thought I'd be using a broom and dust pan to work on my car!

It looks like the idea will be to have a shop do the front frame rail work and then I'll do the rest of the rebuild.

My Cars
    1997 e36 M3 Coupe
    Best of luck getting it back together.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Update

Pulling it a part, yes with the garage can handy.

With most of the broken stuff out and getting a look underneath

So worked on seeing what was bad, mostly the issue was of course al the front sheet metal, but for a track car the list is shorter than it would be for a street car.

Subframe cracked at the motor mounts
    Radiator, duh!
    Water pump looks like it is wobbling now so I'll do that.
    One lower control arm is bent badly
    Cold air intake is toast

First thing was to find body parts and scored the entire front end from another BfC member in TN, so it all fit in the truck and brought it back home

I'm having the front frame rail work done by Sentry Auto Body in Lilburn Ga. The owner Mike is a Spec Miata racer so he totally gets the idea of a track car and not spending money where not needed. They did the big work to straighten things and weld on new frame rail part on the front, only about the front 6" on one and about 12" on the other. Then they hung the sheet metal for me to get things lined up and now the rest is on me!

Bringing it home for the rest of the build

My Cars
    96 m3
    Good to see it coming back together!

My Cars
    1989 E30 325is

Great Thread

It's been fun following your thread. I'm sad about your rain-inspired crash but you're still upbeat. Your build and thinking through obstacles skills mimic your hand and throttle movements on track: smart, precise, intense but considerate. You didn't hound the Vette on track and eventually got the point-by. I wonder if you were in your Z06 if you'd have gotten an earlier point-by? In my experience at Pueblo Motorsports Park in my built 95 M3 I got more point-byes from Bimmer and Corvette folk than the STI and EVO brigade. A transition to Ground-Control coil-overs would be a revelation I think: they made all the difference in my old E36 (now being raced very successfully in Texas). Thanks for spending the time posting about your build. Good luck getting it back to perfect.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No it's back to Me!

So now to the rebuild, the rough sheet metal is on but loose and the main thing is the frame rail work looks good. So this is the long list of things I've either decided to do, or must be done.

• Lower control arm, well then we do both (going with Mehle)
    • Since the LCAs are being doen that mean upgrade the bushing to Powerflex poly
    • subframe replace, then we should do the reinforcement while at it.
    • While at the subframe, I'm going with AKG motor mounts
    • Since the subframe is out do the oil pan gasket
    • Since the oil pan is down tack the oil nut
    • Radiator replacement with full aluminum (budget say Mishimoto)
    • Clutch fan removal and replace with electric
    • Water pump replacement
    • Replace headlights, anything will do as I don't use them
    • Corner lights
    • New bumper cover
    • Rebuild another set of fiberglass brake cooling ducts
    • Replace the cold air intake (no budget to replace the Dinan)
    • Paint the car in a way to blend the black and silver colors

So that's it really

Well getting started, pulling the power steering rack out of the way is the first thing

And got the LCAs off so the suspension is just hanging

Got the old subframe out and sure enough it is broken right where they need the reinforcements

Prep on the new subframe with plate inside

Welded on plates (No I'm not a master welder)

After cleanup and paint with the new mounts in place, ready to put into place.

But gotta crack open the oil pan now! More later!

My Cars
    many
    nice and swift rebuild !
    facebook.com/TeamDEP
    teamdep.com ***Click link for New England drift schedule***

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast