Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Buy and Build

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Getting to the brakes. I began the process to remove the backing plates and install the plates with cooling ducts. I picked up a set from Gruven Parts, gotta say they are nicely made.

I cut them down but left the mounting holes so the remaining piece is secure, if I need to replace the hubs I'll deal with them then. Once I cut them up I went back with a die grinder to round off all the edges so they don't catch anything.

Installed!, I did pick up a few M6x1.0 bolts that were just a bit longer, made life easy!

I'm working on fabricating some duct piece to run the hoses up front, but at least this is done. Getting ready for the first event this coming Sunday so not sure I'll have the ducting completed to my liking!

My Cars
    E39 M5, M3 #226 CM
    Not sure how far you are taking the car but I did some "custom" work on my air inlets in the bumper to allow a straight shot back into the brakes.

I'll post here when I get home tonight. The I did it requires cutting the m3 bumper and some minor fab work but the intakes are huge compared to the stock and my brakes are nothing short of awesome and have never ever faded -- even in race conditions and stock calipers and rotors.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by will v View Post
    Not sure how far you are taking the car but I did some "custom" work on my air inlets in the bumper to allow a straight shot back into the brakes.

I'll post here when I get home tonight. The I did it requires cutting the m3 bumper and some minor fab work but the intakes are huge compared to the stock and my brakes are nothing short of awesome and have never ever faded -- even in race conditions and stock calipers and rotors.
    Thanks, I'm open to ideas, I'm working my way from the brakes to the bumper in that order. I fabricated some fiberglass flanges to mount into the wheel well and hope to install that tomorrow. I also made some piece for the stock intake are of the bumper but I didn't like the way they turned out and I'm considering to make new pieces.

I'll be running the car Sunday with at least the ducts through the wheels wells and I might just put the hose in the front and secure temporarily to the back of the bumper.

Post what you've done it might give me an idea on how to finish off the bumper section.

OK well I got the brake ducting done from the inner fender liner through to the backing plates.

I fabricated a couple flanges from fiberglass to mount into the fender liner, they came out just fine, not fancy, functional!

Hooked up the hose, holy crap getting the hose to fit over the port on the backing plate was so frustrating Maybe there is a trick to working with this hose that I don't know. But it is done, I just hope I left enough slack but I was trying to keep the install tight to prevent rubbing the tires on turns.

Last edited by MCMM3; 11-04-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well, time for some fun, SCCA PDX at Road Atlanta this weekend. The biggest issue was bad brake chatter or shutter under hard braking, I'm guessing the rotors are warped, didn't feel anything after new pads at 50mph stops but felt it braking from 90+.

Here is teh co-driver/wife coming down into turn 12!

My Cars
    96 m3
    Good to see you are already enjoying it on the track!

You should come out to the BMWCCA autox on Nov 20th.
    info here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1738752

Stone mountain is interested in hosting us and wants to do a trial event before committing to a full season of events next year, so they're having it on the 20th.

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1866 View Post

Stone mountain is interested in hosting us and wants to do a trial event before committing to a full season of events next year, so they're having it on the 20th.
    Chris speaks the truth. Come. Play. BMW CCA is great people. I'll be there, too.
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1866 View Post

Can I bring my AutoX toy

My Cars
    96 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMM3 View Post
    Can I bring my AutoX toy

No. that is not fair.
    But you should definitely come and watch Randall get 2nd in E....

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Past performance DOES indicate future results.

Here's your barrell...

Or if Mike bring the 'vette, we can all use it
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Your going to have to fight my co-driver for that seat! I don't think you want that!

She's been taking lessons!!!!

OK, well the braking issue at Rd Atl last weekend looks to be confirmed with rotors with bad to very bad runout. I wanted to be sure to just not swap out parts and not get the problem, my dial indicator base wouldn't hold steady so I ran by a shop this morning and one front rotor came in at .011 runout , I believe .002 is acceptable!

Looks like new rotors it is. Next outing will be at TGPR but I don't think that will be nearly as hard on brakes as Rd Atl.
    Last edited by MCMM3; 11-11-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    "runout"?
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That's the amount of warp or wobble. When they put the rotor on the lathe they just got the cutting piece to contact in one spot, then rotate the rotor 180* and then adjust the cutting head in, moved that .011

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well after the mishap of the getting off the trailer at the first event I found the bumper attachment had gotten broken once I pulled the inner liner that was mangled.

I used fiberglass jelly not resin as it doesn't run and forms a bit easier for something like this.

After some grinding the bumper mount fit well, we'll see if this fix lasts???

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    If it doesn't hold, grab some sheet metal to put between the bumper material and your epoxy fix (like a "U" shape piece)?
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Also this weekend I didn't like how the Dinan intake was just kinda floating in place, no braket on it at all so I pulled something together to make it more secure.

It ties onto the mount for the cruise control.

Used lucite and bent the pieces to cradle the intake. Should work out OK.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Got the brakes done, new rotors. Went with a OEM rotor since the entire system is still based on the stock setup, upgrades to braking maybe at a later date.

Crazy how clean the new coated rotors look, not for long!!!!!

Looking forward to the second track outing in 2 weeks.

My Cars
    96 m3
    Nice! Glad to see it coming along.
    I think you'll find that with the proper pads/fluid and cooling (as you obviously have been working on), the stock brakes are very adequate.
    I suppose it depends on how serious you're planning on getting with the car...

Look forward to seeing you out there in the spring!

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG, 92 MBZ 500E
    Hey, it was great to meet you and see the car at Santa Run TGPR! I didn't put two and two together and realize that was you guys until later lol. Car looked great!

---
    I am here: [ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.184726,-85.343736[/ame]
    Brian Flanagan
    Fastech Motorsports, LLC
    Usually Sideways

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It was fun to see all the BMW's at the event. A bit odd for me to be checking out all the E30 and E36s after all the years of Corvettes.

It was too bad our day was cut short due to me completely shredding the front right tire. I think TGPR is much harder on tires than Rd Atl, I think the corners are tighter even though the speeds are lower. I must have finished my 2nd session on cords, when Soozee start on out for her 2nd we found the tire cords and metal exposed!!!! Glad someone shouted out to us as I'm confident that would have been a tire failure on course. Too bad SooZee only got one session.

I think lack of camber was the likely issue and I'll attack that during the next couple months to get ready for 2012 events.

We're excited to find some more track event starting in 2012 to get onto the calendar.

Here is a picure of the carnage to the front right tire!!!!!

Can you same more camber!
    Last edited by MCMM3; 12-06-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1995 AVUS M3
    Keep posting up ideas/inventions for tracking

My Cars
    1995 M3
    After our first two track outings I keep adding onto the list of needs/mods. I need to do something to get some negative camber into the front that is the first thing before the next event. Was also considering going to coilovers, just not sure I need to go there yet? Considering a couple options there.

Until I figure out some of the suspension upgrades I wanted to continue the clean-up. I guess maybe I'm 75% racer/ 25% waxer

I took another run at the underside of the car with much better results, got much of the grime and grease cleaned up, makes it much easier to look at the condition of everything. I'm getting ready to remove the remaining A/C components so now it should be a bit cleaners.

Tons of simple green, a little brake cleaner for tough spots, hot water in a garder sprayer, then pressure washer, that is my formula.

Man does the exhaust look old!

This weekend I had a few minutes and wanted to continue the interior cleanup and insulation removal, Passenger side done!

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    An M3 driver with fabrication abilities.....nice!!!

If you're like I am, that car won't be stock for long. I documented my 3 yr M3 build up here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=528816 if you're interested. Car ended up under 2500lbs. Fabrication sure is fun!
    Last edited by jmitro; 12-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Jmitro, thanks but I had followed your entire thread earlier and I think you have my skills beat hands down, you did some great work on that car.

I've got some immediate projects:
    -Clean up interior remove insulation
    -Finish brake ducts
    -Camber plates or other camber related solution

After that I have to figure if I'm going full out track car that would not be a dual purpose track/ street legal car. If I go the full route then I'll consider

Lexan windows
    aluminum door panels
    reinforcement to key areas
    Full exhaust rework
    etc.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    You'll develop the skills with time. Thats how I learned, lots of practice.

Good luck; subscribed for updates!

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMM3 View Post
    After that I have to figure if I'm going full out track car that would not be a dual purpose track/ street legal car. If I go the full route then I'll consider

Lexan windows
    aluminum door panels
    reinforcement to key areas
    Full exhaust rework
    etc.
    Why not take advantage of our state and keep it a track/street legal car? I have seen some pretty nice "street" legal cars around our parts.
    Last edited by Sutt; 01-09-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast