Thread: Spastic trunk open warnings

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i

Spastic trunk open warnings

So I have already redone my trunk wiring and am still getting machine gun seizure time trunk open warning messages. Sometimes the gong interrupts itself they are so frequent and ANNOYING.

Now, my cluster has some spaz issues that are probably bad capacitor related. I am pretty sure that is why it tells me my suspension is leveling sometimes as well.

I also WD-40'd the switch on the trunk to see if that would help.

Has anyone encountered this? Should I look more towards my cluster or the switch on the trunk?

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    I didnt even know it gave trunk open warnings... something new every day.

Like you said its probably either in the switch wiring or in the ccm module either at the cluster or the module itself in the fusebox.
    Start with the easiest which is the switch. put a little wooden dowell in the hole where the switch is and see if it will still pop up, try not to get the dowell stuck.(at the latch on the trunklid there is a recessed button)
    Im not quite sure what the wiring of the switch looks like but ill look tmrw. it should be similar since we both have 89's. perhaps consulting the electrical diagrams might help.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
    I didnt even know it gave trunk open warnings... something new every day.

Like you said its probably either in the switch wiring or in the ccm module either at the cluster or the module itself in the fusebox.
    Start with the easiest which is the switch. put a little wooden dowell in the hole where the switch is and see if it will still pop up, try not to get the dowell stuck.(at the latch on the trunklid there is a recessed button)
    Im not quite sure what the wiring of the switch looks like but ill look tmrw. it should be similar since we both have 89's. perhaps consulting the electrical diagrams might help.
    I have sprayed WD-40 where the switch is and pressed it a million times with a screwdriver in hopes to clean any corrosion that may be inside, but that obviously didn't work.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    I'm not where i can look and see what the switch/wiring looks like, but can you unplug and hardwire it (the switch) just to see if the problem still persists?

My Cars
    '95 540iA

Smile

PICS
    Just a lil how to on getting to the switch.

It looks like disconnecting the switch should make the message go away.
    light on

light off

NOTE the wire color: red/white and red/white.

remove the two 10mm's and disconnect the armture(it just snaps on and off.

remove the single Phillips screw and remove the switch

switch removed

all parts that pin at the top is what pushes in the switch button

At least now its well documented.

OP, try disconnecting the switch and see if the "trunk open"

Do our 89's even have this trunk open feature??? ive never seen it. I will try jumping the connector to trigger the message on mine. If it comes on at least then we can say that your message is because the two red/white wires are contacting/completing the circuit or the switch is bad.

the bees knees

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Yeah, it may take some speed to show the warning though. I didn't realize my car had the door open warning either till I drove with the door open. I will have to dig into my trunk lid when I find some time here in the coming weeks.
    Thanks for documenting this so I will have some idea of what I am getting myself into!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 525i E34
    hey I do not have this option, It never gave me warning about open trunk I need to take a look if I even have this switch

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by elic View Post
    hey I do not have this option, It never gave me warning about open trunk I need to take a look if I even have this switch
    open your trunk and drive like 10mph and see if it will warn you

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    well I jumpered the connector and drove around on the freeway. no messages 'cept the usual brake linings.

Maybe your ccm has a different software version or something. OR maybe it isn't the original.

EDIT: or mines not the original.

the bees knees

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    So I noticed through my ski-pass that my trunk lights do not turn on when these spaz warnings are occurring. So now I am starting to think this is another fun issue with the caps in my cluster. Not only do I get suspension leveling, but trunk open! yay!

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    My trunk light wouldn't come on. The switch is the culprit. Add "replace trunk switch" to the short to do list.
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    This thread is old balls.

My issue ended up being bad solder joints on my check control module (CCM). I got a used CCM and have not had the issue since.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    A lot of 'fake' messages are caused by the aging CCM = cold solderings. In case you always see these"Check Control" messages although all is fine, it means that the signals were not received as expected. The fix is to re-solder every pad in the CCM, which is tedious. Spend this Quality time with your CCM! Use a 40 watt iron, outdoors.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!