Thread: e46 auto transmission warning light!

My Cars
    2000 323i, 1976 2002

e46 auto transmission warning light!

Yesterday, my gearbox warning light (light that looks like a gear with an ! in the middle) came on. I continued to drive with it on, as i didn't notice any difference in the drive. After turning off my car, waiting about 10 seconds and restarting, the light goes away, then appears again after selecting a gear. All the gears work fine. What does this mean? Doesn't this light mean my car is in limp mode? If so, it does not feel like it is. I am able to accelerate and go up hills just as easily as before it came on. Hoping to make it to my mechanic sometime tomorrow...

(1999 323i gm transmission with 130k miles)

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    You need to go to autozones and get the codes read. Its actually weird that you dont feel the difference in limp mode.
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    2002 325xi, 96 Accord
    It could be a few things.

Have the alternator/ battery checked. A drop in voltage and the car can act odd and throw that light along with other things.

Have you messed with the MAF, if its unplugged that can trigger that light.

Have the codes read to see what shows.

Many people just assume the trans is bad but its been a loss in voltage most times.
    Quote Originally Posted by softwarehawk View Post
    Does anyone know how the keyless ignition is meant to operate? The current system could be very dangerous if someone drove to an unsafe area, and then could not start the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathwarden5 View Post
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayzracer View Post
    The poors might get him...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DAES
    You need to go to autozones and get the codes read. Its actually weird that you dont feel the difference in limp mode.
    Not sure they can read trans codes.

I like the battery idea, then do a fluid swap.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 323i, 1976 2002
    Autozones can only read engine codes. I went to a close-by shop and they had the tools to read transmission codes, but were going to charge me $96 just to read them.

My Cars
    2000 323i, 1976 2002
    Got my codes read today, and the person who read it thinks that it is the abs module or speed senors. The codes are as followed:
    123 Electronic thermostat control
    146 fuel system small leak
    208 rpm monitoring inconsistent
    39 Brake light switch, Inconsistent
    ** Air Mass Sensor

Transmission
    151 CAN: Brake Signal

14 Wheel Speed Signal FL
    44 Wheel Speed Signal RR
    67 Brake Light Switch

Anyone??
    Last edited by shogun; 05-19-2020 at 09:47 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330 xi
    Any update on this ?

Hi, yesterday my son's car shows this issue its a 1999 328i, the ETC light on and the car did not engage first and second gear as the manual says. We do the procedure for reset but dissapears and come again.

What reader can I found to avoid been to the dealer or an indy ?

What other things can I do ?

Thanks for your help, my son needs the car to work.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-19-2020 at 09:49 AM.

My Cars
    2000 323i, 1976 2002
    Turns out it was a faulty brake light switch. I ended up driving around for a few weeks with no brake lights! I guess this throws a transmission code because it needs to know when the brake is pressed to disengage cruise control? Btw, cruise control was not working when the transmission light was on.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 318i
    Gdelcanto
    Thx alot . Cz i have the same problem with my car that the warning light is on like a gear &in the middle (!)
    I scan it faults was
    Air mass sensor
    Brake light
    So i change the air mas sensor
    The problem didint solve
    still the scanner said (brake light -check cable)
    i smile and say whats the community between gear&brake light
    i didint check the cable
    now when i read ur message it seems there is a commun between them &maybe i have the same problem that u had

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    For future brake light switch replacements, check out our DIY Tech Article that should help anyone else with this issue. It's quite a simple and inexpensive fix.

-Luccia
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2000 BMW 318i
    I change the brake switch the gear warning light near (P-R-N-D) still light from time to time .
    The mechanic man saw a orange cable plug from the switch & cutting (free to air) & he didint know here he should to join
    Is it the problem that i should to solve for the warning gear light shut down ??
    Maybe this cable should plug to the gear circuit to Decelerate when i use brake ??
    Is it the problem for the warning light gear shut down ?
    &if i drive the car &this light is( on )
    There is a risk Damage the gear
    Thank you

My Cars
    1985 bmw 528e
    hey guys i'm new here but my 1994 bmw 320i M50 engine is doing the same thing the automatic gearbox warning light is on, abs is on and check engine light is on could a cracked intake boot cause my car to go into limp mode please help sometimes it goes away and shifts fine and then goes back into limp mode and does anyone know what kind of scanner i should buy for my car im just not sure hopefully one of you guys might know thanks.

My Cars
    330CI convertible 2003
    Hello Gents,

Trying to isolate the reason for my current limp mode. Please let me know if you think cleaning/replacing the ABS sensors might solve the issue.

Car: 2003 330CI automatic trans. 115K miles in it.
    At this point I the gear sign is on (!) LIMP MODE. Prior to getting to Limp mode, I would have the ABS light come on every now and then (specially when it was hot outside - over 85 degrees, or hitting a bump on the road) with the "brake" yellow on as well. I went over a bumpy road, nothing happened, went home, turn on the car the next morning, as I was stepping on the gas to turn on a red light right.... LIMP MODE comes on.

Scanner is giving me codes P0715 and P0720 (Trans input and output speed sensors). I am not sure if the Trans sensors are giving me false positives, as I did have the ABS come on when I went over bumpy roads or hot outside. The car will not engage in reverse as I first turn it on but after I move forward for 100 yards it will allow me to go in reverse (bumpy shift). I replaced the MAF sensor as I though it could be a possibility, I had the battery check out (it's holding and good charge), reset the connection of the battery, LIMP MODE went away but then came back when I step on the gas to take off (bumpy trans initial reaction) then boooooom... you guest it, LIMP MODE.

Before going and getting new Trans sensors... Does anyone know if cleaning the ABS sensors would actually help getting the system to clear the limp mode?

BTW I also got a code for the thermostat, which I am replacing, but the Limp mode comes on when the car is taking off, not overheating. When I get the thermostat I will be replacing the thermostat for the Trans fluid too, but that I don't think is causing the LIMP MODE.

Bottom line.... does the ABS dirty sensor could be the cause? Cleaning it would it fix it?

My Cars
    05 330ci convertible 75k
    I was starting to panic thinking about the cost of replacing the trans when I show a post saying it could be the MAF. I had left the sensor unplugged after I cleaned the air filter. The light went off immediately and it is shifting perfectly. Thanks bimmerforums!

My Cars
    BMW 330ci
    I have a 2003 330ci and recently my transmission light came on. I recycled the car a few times and that worked...then it wouldn't go off. I was concerned knowing the transmission was rebuilt a few years back. But was having foot surgery the next day. Without the use of my foot for weeks I parked it and decided to worry about it later. 7 weeks later and only starting it once during that time, of course the battery died. I jumped it but towed it into the mechanic because I didn't want to drive it in safe mode. Mechanic called and it was the battery the entire time. Once it was changed and reprogrammed, everything was firing properly. That battery was 11 years old btw.

My Cars
    2001 330 ci
    hey so i’m having the same problem with my 2001 330 ci, i just bought it from a vet really well taken care of or at least that’s what it looks like but my car is in limp mode i was driving down the road & bam limp mode i took the battery to auotozone & oriely both told me it was a good battery... It’s a 14 year old battery could this be the cause ????

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    If you are in limp mode, then its not the brake switch or the battery as per this thread.

You need to get the EGS (transmission) codes read. That will need a scanner with BMW software. Most scanners only read the DME (engine) codes. Once you have the codes, post them here with the descriptions and we can help you.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci Coupe
    was this ever solved? im also getting the P0720 reading.... only getting a jolt in reverse.. could it be bad fluid or is there more to it.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-19-2020 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by haddaddy1 View Post
    was this ever solved? im also getting the P0720 reading.... only getting a jolt in reverse.. could it be bad fluid or is there more to it.
    P0720 is usually the output speed sensor circuit. It will not be responsible for the jolt in reverse as it does not come into play until you are doing about 5mph. But it certainly could be responsible for putting the trans in limp mode. Maybe start by checking the resistance at the TCM plug?

My Cars
    Bmw,2000 328i,2005 325Ci

I unplugged it and turned it on with it unplugged am I ok??

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEXi View Post
    It could be a few things.

Have the alternator/ battery checked. A drop in voltage and the car can act odd and throw that light along with other things.

Have you messed with the MAF, if its unplugged that can trigger that light.

Have the codes read to see what shows.

Many people just assume the trans is bad but its been a loss in voltage most times.
    is this true because I forgot to plug myn in and start it what can I do to clear the codes my scanner sucks won't clear it

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood420 View Post
    is this true because I forgot to plug myn in and start it what can I do to clear the codes my scanner sucks won't clear it
    Get a better scanner. A laptop with INPA or PASoft (aka BMW Tools) and the appropriate adapter cable. Or pony up for a decent used Autel or perhaps SnapOn scan tool. Or make friends with a mechanic who will clear codes for the price of a couple beers.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)