Thread: How to remove a hood torx screw. Anyone?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

How to remove a hood torx screw. Anyone?

I am trying to remove my hood but the screw is now stripped. I tried the torx screw driver, that didnt work. I moved onto a screw extractor, it made it more round inside.. I cant get a grip of it. Anyone have any recommendations? I also sprayed WD-40 on it..

Someone help!
    Or if you're in the area and want to help out a gal, feel free!.
    I'm in Montclair/claremont CA.

Thanks
    -RAWWW

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    Now that the torx hole has been rounded, you have two options. First, apply PB Blaster liberally. You may also want to apply heat (torch) but that could damage the paint on the hood. Then:

1. Use a Dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut a narrow slot in the head of the screw. Then use the largest flat blade screwdriver that will fit the slot to slowly back the screw out. or,

2. Drill the torx hole deeper, using a smaller diameter drill bit. Then using the appropriate screw extractor, attempt to back the screw out.

Using an impact driver with the appropriate torx bit would always be the first choice to free a stuck bolt or screw.

My Cars
    E39 540i6, f30 328ix
    try a Vice-grip. I can't remember how much "meat" you can grab, but give it a try before you start chopping things up

My Cars
    1999 540i sport
    Or you can get a drill bit the size of the bolt and drill all the way through the bolt head and it will just fall off the bolt.
    1999 BMW 540i Sport

My Cars
    318ti, e39 528i , 528it
    +1 on drilling the bolt off.

If I recalled correctly, you bought my hood to replace this one, right?

drill it since you're gonna be replacing the hood anyway.

fyi: anytime I deal with torx/star/allen heads, I always use a ratchet with the correct head on it. You get more leverage and torque and less chance at stripping the bolt with a screwdriver attachment.

does it bite at all? maybe try a larger torx size? if it bites a little try the ratchet. It's amazing what a little torque can do.

Also what was wrong with your hood? and did you transport the new one safely??? I was kinda worried it would move around in your truck bed.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Did you ever get this out...obviously from 7 years ago you probably did. What method did you use?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Wow.... Rocket science at its best.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun