Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $560 to install e39 struts ???

My Cars
    98 540i automatic

$560 to install e39 struts ???

Ok, I know what you all are likely to say; like "do it yourself and save". Well we were planning on doing that, but my Brother-In-Law only gets one day a week off (Sun) and he is sort beat down right now from working all week and then working on our cars every weekend.

I called a local shop that I have dealt with in the past, and they are supposed to be really good with euro cars. They want $560 for installing the 4 struts, and "may" need to do a 4 wheel alignment as well for another $89. We may just wait and do them ourselves (in a few weeks), or I have a shop that went out on a limb and said they would do it for $175 but also may need to do a 4 wheel align for another $90.

I would be willing to pay for the job if it is a reasonable price rather than waiting and doing them ourselves just to give BIL a break. What do you folks think of that $560 price? On par, or digging deep?

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    it is a hard job, we diy'ed on my car, took a few hours, you will need an impact gun, spring compessor, various sockets, knowledge and patience. if you diy, take your time. not that bad at all though, two man job.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    iirc, it's a pita. I don't think that sounds like a bad price, but I've been known to be wrong.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    I would say its ok... maybe a little high if anything. 8 hours @ $70/hr., or 7hrs @ $80/hr = $560.

A shop should be able to do it in say 6-7hrs... if they have lots of experience it could be quicker. I would be inclined to go with that though. Of course, you could save yourself a little cash and at least do the fronts. That should take you an hour or two only, then your bill might be $400. Front end is way easy, I have done both front struts in an hour total, in my garage, working up a sweat on a cheesy spring compressor.

My Cars
    e39
    it would be wise to get an allignment even if you diy it - be sure they use the proper weighted method as per BMW. As far as price, most euro shops charge $85-120/hr in my area. 4-5hrs for an install is not unreasonable, though with a lift, all the proper tools and experience I would imagine it could be done in less time.
    Life's difficult, and being stupid makes it more difficult.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Thanks for all the feedback. Luckily, we just did all the struts on BIL's 525. We have the spring compressor, but I may buy him a better one. We have a couple electric impact wrenches and pretty much all the tools needed. Just wanted to give him a break, but if I wave cash his way, he may be more eager.

Could you explain the "proper weighted method" in regards to alignment? I have seen references such as that in these forums, but I'm just not getting the full picture.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    150lbs in each front seat, 150lbs in the middle of the back seat, 75lbs in the trunk, full tank of gas. This is the weight that should be in the car when you get it aligned. When aligned, they should loosen and retorque the suspension bushings and the rear lower strut bolts with the cars weight on its wheels. It must be at settled ride height.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2006 330i sport/prem
    The fronts are simple, took me and a buddy about 1hr. The rears on a saloon are a pain due to the stuff you have to remove to get at them. An alignment is necessary if you're lowering it. Just struts/shocks shouldn't change the alignment, but not a bad idea to get it checked. I'd say it shouldn't take an experienced shop more than 4 hours total.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    OK, it looks like we are going to do it ourselves. I offered BIL some cash and told him I would pay him in advance so he can order all his front end parts for his 525. I was looking through those instructions that were posted, and the only part that worries me at all is the ball joints. I need to get the ball joint removal tool, and I followed some links to a discussion on the use of non official BMW ball joint tools. Seems that most peole felt that the universal ones ranging in price around $40 worked just fine, instead of the $260 official BMW tool. Those of you that have done this job, which did you use. Official BMW tool or universal?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5-Imola Red, 2001 BMW 540i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by teedub21 View Post
    The fronts are simple, took me and a buddy about 1hr. The rears on a saloon are a pain due to the stuff you have to remove to get at them. An alignment is necessary if you're lowering it. Just struts/shocks shouldn't change the alignment, but not a bad idea to get it checked. I'd say it shouldn't take an experienced shop more than 4 hours total.

If the OP is changing out the original struts/shocks that have been on his car since 1997 there will most certainly be a change in suspension geometry worthy of a full four wheel aligment.
    All his, or previous owners, alignements have been slowley compensating for the degradation of the suspension.

Al. Wise

My Cars
    2006 330i sport/prem
    You don't need to remove any ball joints to replace your struts and shocks.

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post
    150lbs in each front seat, 150lbs in the middle of the back seat, 75lbs in the trunk, full tank of gas. This is the weight that should be in the car when you get it aligned. When aligned, they should loosen and retorque the suspension bushings and the rear lower strut bolts with the cars weight on its wheels. It must be at settled ride height.

where do i get this weight??
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    None
    C - how important is to have this weight setup? I did mine around a month back and nothing was in the car.
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    1997 528i
    My mechanic told me it would be $400-600 so that doesnt sound that bad

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Quote Originally Posted by teedub21 View Post
    You don't need to remove any ball joints to replace your struts and shocks.
    I got that from the links that Jason put up a few posts ago. I've never done it before so I was just going by what was shown in that thread. Anyone know if there is another thread showing the DIY job?

As for the 4 wheel alignment, the worst part is that I just had one done a few weeks ago. Before I got the great Bilstein deal.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 04-14-2009 at 05:33 PM.

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Getting mine done tomorrow...will post the cost and time here.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
    I got that from the links that Jason put up a few posts ago. I've never done it before so I was just going by what was shown in that thread. Anyone know if there is another thread showing the DIY job?

As for the 4 wheel alignment, the worst part is that I just had one done a few weeks ago. Before I got the great Bilstein deal.

Taking off the the tie rods at the ball joints and the wheel carrier will make it easier to replace the front struts IMO.
    However, you do not have to remove the tie rod.

However, if you have not replaced your tie rods yet, then I would recommend on replacing them when you replace the front struts.
    That is what I am doing.

Look here:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...oint+separator

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-14-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    1982 320is
    this weight acording to tis service guide is only to achieve a ride height, varing between models of from floor to upper center part of wheel well, you either add or remove weight to get the right tollerences for your specifec model. my 540i sport was withen specs with no additional weight

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    first my BMW alignments I also tried to do with this 150 lb weight everywhere ...
    all were looking on me like I am an idiot when I bring my car full of water ...
    even my local BMW dealer don't use any weight for alignment and only full tank of gas .
    As I did alignment 4 or 5 times already on my car I stopped to use weight and use only full tank of gas .
    So far I don't feel any difference ... maybe a little better ride when car is fully loaded .
    Last edited by champaign777; 04-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    sounds very fair to me.

This job is about an 8 hr charge anywhere.

It only took me about 3-4 hrs myself to do this.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    97 540ia
    its a good price because the rear setup is more involved

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    This might seem ridiculous but what about just buying new springs and just install them with the new shocks and struts. You wouldn't have to compress the old springs to remove them because you will be putting in new ones. Makes the install go a lot easier and it'll be your chance to lower your car even more. Price of new springs is half the cost of your shop charging you $560 to install just the shocks and springs. Just a thought.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by e39528iM View Post
    This might seem ridiculous but what about just buying new springs and just install them with the new shocks and struts. You wouldn't have to compress the old springs to remove them because you will be putting in new ones. Makes the install go a lot easier and it'll be your chance to lower your car even more. Price of new springs is half the cost of your shop charging you $560 to install just the shocks and springs. Just a thought.
    with good setup this will go to 1000$ for all

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    The price is about right for most shops. Its not an easy install considering the rears. It all depends on the labor rate.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast