Thread: I can get 135i Coupé... Will M3 E92 differential fit ?

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact

I can get 135i Coupé... Will M3 E92 differential fit ?

Question is pretty simple, i can get a 135i Coupé for a decent price.. i am wondering if the differential from a E92 will fit... what ratio are they ?

E92 M3 i can get differential from has SMG gearbox if that matters..
    Viktor Agnar Falk Guðmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Hmmmm if I can't help you much here, but doesn't the 1M use the Diff from an e46 M3.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    yes, but from the pictures, the diffs in 1 series and 3 series look the same...

The first one is the M3 E92 diff...

the difference is 0.10 in ratio so i think this will be ok

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselGhost View Post
    Question is pretty simple, i can get a 135i Coupé for a decent price.. i am wondering if the differential from a E92 will fit... what ratio are they ?

The differential swap can be done, but also includes at least the following too, if you don't want to do custom fabrication:

1. All 3 driveshafts (shorter from gearbox to diff, longer from diff to wheels)
    2. Rear suspension and diff subframe (this component is over $2,000 alone, for the ///M version).
    3. Most key suspension components (some bushings and the trailing arm are the same, all other locating arms and hub carrier are different).
    4. New wheels or spacers to adapt between the 20mm offset used on the ///M hubs, compared with 52mm on the 135i.
    5. Rear brakes to match offset and pick-up points on hub carrier.

Basically all the dynamic components and associated mounting pieces behind the gearbox need to be swapped. Looks to be about $10,000 for components plus the diff, going by prices listed on realoem.com

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    Get a Quaife LSD put in? I think you have to send away the housing to get it installed though?

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    If i were to get a Quaife unit i would install it myself as i am pretty familiar with this stuff...

I've just never physically inspected a E92 M3 differential nor a E88 one...

Why would i need a different subframe ? The E39 M5 subframe differs from the one on the stock 540i but the differential will still bolt up and you just have to exchange the axles..

I would use the end off the driveshaft from the E92 M3 and have it fused together with the oem driveshaft in the E88...

that is if the differential casing is a direct bolt in, as i suspect...

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    If i were to get a Quaife unit i would install it myself as i am pretty familiar with this stuff...

I've just never physically inspected a E92 M3 differential nor a E88 one...

Why would i need a different subframe ? The E39 M5 subframe differs from the one on the stock 540i but the differential will still bolt up and you just have to exchange the axles..

I would use the end off the driveshaft from the E92 M3 and have it fused together with the oem driveshaft in the E88...

that is if the differential casing is a direct bolt in, as i suspect...
    Without measuring the differences in the two subframes, it is difficult to establish if they are the same, but the rear mounting bolt on the ///M diff to subframe is 160mm long compared with 119mm on the 135i diff to subframe. They look to be close but not the same. Probably some cutting and welding of the 135i subframe together with cut and welding of the 3 driveshafts would work (135i diff end of driveshaft from gear box uses a collar, ///M uses a 6-bolt flange; 135i half shaft uses 86mm diameter 6-bolt circle flange, ///M uses 102mm at diff end). Donor ///M driveshafts would be about $1500 for the set, plus modification costs.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    I can get the differential, both axles and the back half of the driveshaft all together for $2800...

I'm thinking about buying it even though i don't have the car yet so i won't miss out on the deal

My Cars
    E92 335i, 135i, M3, 540i
    If you're looking for an LSD, then look no further, we can certainly do that for you. Here's a good option you might want to take a look at that will cost a lot less than the other options:

WaveTrac Automatic Torque Biasing Differential (E82/E88 & E90/E91/E92)
    http://www.modbargains.com/WaveTrac-ATB-E90-E92-E82.htm

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly via PM, email or simply give me a call at:

714.582.3330 Extension 8002 - Jurrian
    Jurrian@modbargains.com

We Specialize In: BMW Wheels | | BMW Exhaust | ESM wheels | Forgestar Wheels | BC Racing Coilovers | HRE FlowForm |
    ModBargains
    | Sales@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-5:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)

My Cars
    BMW 335i e92

Lsd

WAVETRAC has a custom led that is put directly into the original diff. I've got one on my car and I think it is cheaper than a normal new lsd. Heres a link.
    https://www.n54tuning.com/wavetrac-lsd.html
    also works on 335i no xdrive though. Have fun with burnouts and better cornering.
    P.S. trust me its a beast of a diff upgrade

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i (Drifter)
    From what I have read up on the E9x and E8x have the exact same subframes and share many other suspension parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk