Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M70 Oil 7.5 quarts or 9.5 quarts?

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6

M70 Oil 7.5 quarts or 9.5 quarts?

How much oil does it take your m70 to reach the top hatch on the dipstick? Mine takes 9.5 quarts (9L) with a fresh filter, while the TIS/manual calls for 7.5 liters. It will lose over 2 quarts before I start getting the low engine oil warning on the MID.

Dipstick is the correct 1 715 916 part number.

I put it to you, fellow m70 owners: What does it take to quench the thirst of your 1980s SOHC v12?
    Last edited by Bryson; 10-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    2.8 Z3 coupe + 6 speed || 200kW electric 1970 Jaguar XJ6

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    You sure? Maybe the TIS is in liters? Do you mean 8.5qts? I usually use 8L, which is equal to 8.5qts.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    TIS says 7.5L actually, still under 8 quarts

The CSi has an oil cooler also, does it not? Or was that another euro only item?
    Last edited by Bryson; 10-04-2011 at 11:20 PM.

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
    You sure? Maybe the TIS is in liters? Do you mean 8.5qts? I usually use 8L, which is equal to 8.5qts.
    Good to know-- I just did an oil change... I put a 5.2qt jug of Mobil1 10w30, plus 1 extra qt, plus 1 qt of Lucas Engine Oil treatment.

I also just repaired my leaky chain tensioner.

I guess that explains why I'm down 1 qt, yet (for the first time since I owned it) there isn't a drop on the ground

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    1991 850i Owner's Manual
    Engine oil 6.8 US quarts (6.5 liters)
    if oil filter is changed:
    +1.1 US quarts (1.0 liter)
    If you have been putting 9.5 quarts in regularly, I think we may have found out why that motor burns a ridiculous amount of oil...

That much overage is a tremendous amount of strain for the motor to overcome. People have thrown rods in lesser cars due to this mistake.
    Last edited by olinjohnston; 10-04-2011 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    7.5 quarts doesn't even get me on the dipstick!!!

Dipstick tube is seated all the way, I even pulled the pan off and put the tube back in

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    This thread is great.. Maybe we should start a poll and vote on it?

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by EEDegreeToDrive View Post
    This thread is great.. Maybe we should start a poll and vote on it?
    No need, BMW already answered the question.

Bryson: This is another case for that new OBC. At minimum oil level, it would chime and say "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL." If you don't see that warning at the published capacity, you would know that your dipstick is inaccurate.
    Last edited by olinjohnston; 10-04-2011 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
    7.5 quarts doesn't even get me on the dipstick!!!

Dipstick tube is seated all the way, I even pulled the pan off and put the tube back in
    Maybe the PO had work done and a longer dip stick tube was installed by mistake?

You may want to check the length against the EPC parts description
    Guide tube L=524MM p/n 11431718264

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston1 View Post
    No need, BMW already answered the question.

Bryson: This is another case for that new OBC. At minimum oil level, it would chime and say "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL." If you don't see that warning at the published capacity, you would know that your dipstick is inaccurate.
    Believe it or not my car actually has so few issues that when I hear the MID's 'gong' I know almost for certain that it is the oil level warning. That and I keep track of my oil burning rates and miles since topped off with the second trip meter on the odometer

Either way I'm still going to end up buying a new MID tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    Maybe the PO had work done and a longer dip stick tube was installed by mistake?

You may want to check the length against the EPC parts description
    Guide tube L=524MM p/n 11431718264
    Good call Rodney, I guess that's next on the list!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i
    Interestingly, mine tells me to "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL" even though the dipstick is at max.

My Cars
    two 8er 6 speeds + 7ers
    Quote Originally Posted by ilestone View Post

Interestingly, mine tells me to "CHECK ENGINE OIL LEVEL" even though the dipstick is at max.
    Broken wire - reconnect your sensor.
    CB42613, CB42577, DH29770 and counting...

My Cars
    '92 850, 6spd, Black
    Maybe we should all pull out our dipsticks out and measure them.... (why does that sound kind of odd?)
    Also, the length of the dipstick tube might be the issue....
    Someone stop me before I hurt myself...

A friend of mine had his transmission rebuilt recently. He kept throwing out trans fluid when he drove it. The transmission shop determined that they had installed the wrong dip stick and tube causing the transmission to be overfilled.

LouM...

My Cars
    92 BMW 850i/6
    I put in 7.5-8L last time and it registered at about the top line on the dip stick.

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Quote Originally Posted by LouM View Post
    Maybe we should all pull out our dipsticks out and measure them.... (why does that sound kind of odd?)
    Also, the length of the dipstick tube might be the issue....
    Someone stop me before I hurt myself...

A friend of mine had his transmission rebuilt recently. He kept throwing out trans fluid when he drove it. The transmission shop determined that they had installed the wrong dip stick and tube causing the transmission to be overfilled.

LouM...
    Oh wow, so it actually does happen. Hahahah if we had a dipstick tube measuring contest, it sounds like I would win!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacwill View Post
    I put in 7.5-8L last time and it registered at about the top line on the dip stick.
    That pretty much seals the deal for me, mine's taking too much oil. Glad I asked.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Just a few days ago I made an oil change and admit that I didn't measure how much I filled in. Just topped it up to the dip stick marking. I'll check my owners manual and report.

The initial reason for this oil change was, that the oil pressure warning lamp came on in fast turns like Autobahn off or on ramps. The low oil warning in the MID was NOT on at this point so it is actually quite useless IMO.

My Cars
    E82, E71, 1996 318ti M
    Not that I think this would be a problem in this group, but my E36 M3 was throwing an oil pressure light. Figured out it was due to the PO having installed a cheap oil filter, and the wrong viscosity oil. Come to think of it, I could probably blame it on the dealership I purchased from.
    Last edited by wmealer; 10-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    '92 850, 6spd, Black
    Ok. So I measured my dipstick and have 22.25 inches (564mm). This is from the flat that mates with the tube past the o-rings. The only marking I see is near the top of the stick "1.715 916".
    The tube snakes around the exhaust manifold and goes somewhere into the block. Too hard to measure the length of that.

LouM...

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Quote Originally Posted by LouM View Post
    Ok. So I measured my dipstick and have 22.25 inches (564mm). This is from the flat that mates with the tube past the o-rings. The only marking I see is near the top of the stick "1.715 916".
    The tube snakes around the exhaust manifold and goes somewhere into the block. Too hard to measure the length of that.

LouM...
    Thank you Lou! I'll be sure to measure mine when I get a few minutes this weekend. I'm going out to the buttonwillow race track so I'll be among car people. Unfortunately, I'll only be watching as my lower coolant hose seems to be collapsing (current theory, thanks Rodney) after about 5 minutes of sustained 5k+ RPMs and that's not very conducive to race track conditions Why must I have all of the strange problems that nobody else seems to have!!

My Cars
    1991 850i manual
    I was just getting ready to change oil for the first time so this was timely for me. Seven and half liters of oil according to the manual. What are oil burn rates? I got the MID warning and it needed ~2 L to top up. I've put about 2300 miles on the car since purchase and I was surprised at the amount of oil used. I was concerned... now I know to check the oil level more frequently than I am used to with my other two cars which have much smaller engines. (Mazda 3.0 and VW 2.0 L). Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by acheson850i View Post
    I was just getting ready to change oil for the first time so this was timely for me. Seven and half liters of oil according to the manual. What are oil burn rates? I got the MID warning and it needed ~2 L to top up. I've put about 2300 miles on the car since purchase and I was surprised at the amount of oil used. I was concerned... now I know to check the oil level more frequently than I am used to with my other two cars which have much smaller engines. (Mazda 3.0 and VW 2.0 L). Thanks.
    You didn't mention type and grade of oil used. If you're using the thin stuff...hope you own an oil company

My Cars
    1991 850i manual
    Quaker State API (SM, SL, SJ) grade SAE 10W-30 "Enhanced Durability Higher Mileage Engine" brand from Wall-Mart. Distributed by SOPUS PRODUCTS, Houston TX. Made in USA of domestic and imported components. According to the owners manual, I don't need to add oil additives and it could cause damage to the engine (?). So much for Marvel Mystery oil! Yes and after buying my eight my investment portfolio has a much higher weight in commodities these days...

Any recommendations on the brand of oil filter I should buy would be helpful and any recommendations on procedure in changing the oil other than what the manuals suggest would be helpful. It's been awhile since I have changed the oil on a car. Used to do it a lot when I was young and poor. Now I am old and poor but having fun!

Thanks!

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    I would run a heavier weight than that, maybe 15W-40 which I've had success with in the past. Mine burns a quart every 1000 miles, which I consider to be extremely high, though it is within 'BMW ///M spec' (not the same as m70 spec)

Please report back with your oil volume findings!
    Last edited by Bryson; 10-12-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850i, 1976 Nova

oil change...

after i changed my oil and filter for the first time, i used 7 litres of oil. the next day on a flat surface i checked my oil and RE-MARKED my dipstick with my new 7 litre spot.

badda bing!
    "...i haven't taken leave of my senses Bob, I've come to them..." -- Ebenezer Scrooge

My Cars
    1991 850i manual

Cool

Yes, a heavier weight, oil given temps where I am located would probably be better. Doesn't get that cold here. I'll track it....for posting here.

So in theory if I have 100% of the oil drained then adding 7. 5 L should hit spot on the top of the full mark on the dipstick. Where was your remark with 7.0 L?

There was Candid Camera skit that I remember as a kid on TV. Lady pulls up to gas station in her VW bug(?) and asks the kid attendant to check her oil. The dipstick just kept coming out, it was about 20 ft long...poor sop! Pardon my superfluous comment but this thread reminded me of that skit! Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast